THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1020905 - 01/29/20 09:47 PM WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS??
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
A friend sent me this link today:

Can’t we all just get along?

As you watch this WDFW/Tribal funded propaganda film, remember these points:

1. YOU WILL BE LOCKED OUT OF TRIBAL/WDFW NEGOTIATIONS.

2. WDFW CLAIMS IT IS UNDERFUNDED, YET SPENDS MONEY ON THIS?

3. COMMISSION CHAIR CARPENTER SAID HE SUPPORTS FULL TRANSPARENCY, BUT THE TRIBES SAY NO!

4. TRIBAL FISHERIES USE THE BUREAU OF INDIAN AFFAIRS TO EXPEDITE THEIR FISHING PERMITS, AND USE THAT TO LEVERAGE WDFW. NOAA IS AWARE OF THIS COERCING AND IS COMPLICIT.

5. NORTHWEST INDIAN FISHERIES COMMISSION CHAIR LORRAINE LOOMIS REFUSED TO REPLY TO OUR LETTER WHERE WE EXPLAINED THAT SECRET MEETINGS ARE AN OBSTACLE TO COOPERATION.

6. WDFW IS CURRENTLY FIGHTING A LAWSUIT BY IT’S CONSTITUENTS BECAUSE IT REFUSES TO FOLLOW STATE LAW AND USES THE TRIBES AS AN EXCUSE.

So, you can see how utterly ridicules it is for this video from
WDFW and the Tribes to act like the RECREATIONAL ANGLER (you) are to blame for the lack of cooperation!!

Edited by Bay wolf (01/30/20 12:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Apparently this was not funded directly by tribal monies.

#1020914 - 01/29/20 10:36 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Ok...I know I’m a zealot about the rights of Washington Citizen Sportsmen. I’ve been told on more than one occasion that “you catch more bees with honey than salt”. I’m not “anti-tribe” and certainly understand that the issues facing the HUGE UPHILL task of trying to save our salmon are complex.

I have championed EXACTLY what this video is saying. THAT WE ALL MUST WORK TOGETHER IF WE HAVE ANY CHANCE OF REALISTICALLY SAVING OUR SALMON.

And I’ve explained to the Commission, the Director and to Lorraine Loomis.

“BY REFUSING TO ALLOW EVERYONE TO WITNESS EVERYTHING IN THE MANAGEMENT OF OUR FISHERIES, IT IS CREATING SUSPICION, DISTRUST AND FRUSTRATION!” And in doing so are defeating any hope of cooperation.

Asking everyone to come together and sing Kumbaya, without treating everyone as an equal is just plain disingenuous.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1020915 - 01/30/20 07:03 AM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
All are not equal, some are more equal than others. Plus, their bank accounts are bigger.

#1020921 - 01/30/20 09:48 AM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Who'd a thunk it? Another "We can have our cake and eat it too." All we have to do is work together. Gee, never heard that before. Oh wait, yes, I have, repeatedly for the last 40+ years no less. Yet in that time of trying to have our cake and eat it too while working together, most of the wild salmon and steelhead in WA have been ESA listed. And since listing they continue to decline. That tends to make this scientist believe that the root cause or causes are not being addressed, possibly not even being identified directly so that the conversation of how to address them, assuming that's even possible, can begin.

Bay wolf, where did your friend find this video? I'm curious about the process of its distribution, and what audience demographic it's aimed at.

#1020926 - 01/30/20 10:12 AM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Sg,
Can't speak for BW, but I saw the video pop up in several places on FB.

I watched the first few minutes then stopped watching it as it was easy to see what direction it was headed without watching the whole thing.
SF

#1020933 - 01/30/20 10:39 AM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

From my understanding, he was sent a link from someone associated with Ron Garner, PSA.

It's interesting that the First Nation gentlemen appearing in the video is Mr. Shawn Yanity, Vice Chair for the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission.

Perhaps we should all contact Mr. Yanity and ask him to work with us to remove the Co-managers opposition to full and transparent open meetings. Explaining that conducting those closed door meetings is only creating mistrust and is a roadblock to cooperation.

Shawn Yanity, Vice Chair NWIFC
Stillaguamish Tribe
PO Box 277
Arlington,WA 98223
Phone: (360) 652-7362

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1020945 - 01/30/20 12:09 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

This appears to be a brand new video. The first mention of it that I could find was on a WDFW facebook post from early this month. It suggested that the full video would be released at the end of January....so just now.

The credits say it was funded by the Estuary and Salmon Restoration Program (ESRP), NOAA and WDFW. We all know who WDFW and NOAA are, but I didn't recognize the ESRP. They are apparently a partnership between WDFW, the Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO) and the Puget Sound Partnership. The ESRP was established by the Legislature in 2006, which appropriated capital funds to habitat restoration and protection projects in Puget Sound. The ERSP manages four grant programs aimed at recovery of the nearshore ecosystem in Puget Sound.

Estuary and Salmon Restoration Program

The film is obviously aimed at the habitat restoration community, primarily within Snohomish County based on the participants and watersheds that I recognized. I think we can all agree that the entities depicted in the video need to cooperate to be successful. That message of cooperation can certainly be expanded to include the harvest management community as well.

#1020950 - 01/30/20 12:36 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thank you OncyT for looking into and educating. I stand corrected in stating that it was partially funded by tribal money, as it appears in what you’ve told us that it was not.

I do agree that cooperation must be built on trust, and trust can only be built on full transparency in everything.

I will edit my previous post to reflect my mistake.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1020964 - 01/30/20 01:49 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
I dunno man, I'm having a hard time conjuring up rage for a message advocating cooperation,

fb

#1020967 - 01/30/20 01:54 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
A 20 minute video with this level of direction, production & editing costs in the low 7 digits to produce. I'd be all for it, if'n it wasn't so hypocritical while coming at a time of budget crisis.

The cost of this could have funded or mostly funded the Master Hunter Program for 2020.

#1021006 - 01/30/20 03:49 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Copyrighted by WDFW. Fair question to ask the total cost and how much from each of the three recognized contributors.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Stilly Chinook are probably the most limiting stock to our fisheries. It also seems that Mr. Yanity and the Stillaguamish tribe have a goal of habitat recovery for the good of the fish based upon my several limited discussions with him. In short, we have some significant mutual goals where we can both benefit from working together.

We are not there yet with some of the other tribes.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1021050 - 01/30/20 06:35 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Larry B]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Larry B
It also seems that Mr. Yanity and the Stillaguamish tribe have a goal of habitat recovery for the good of the fish based upon my several limited discussions with him. In short, we have some significant mutual goals where we can both benefit from working together

I worked in Indian Country for a whole lot of years and don't know of any tribe that doesn't have a goal of habitat recovery for the good of the fish.

#1021056 - 01/30/20 07:19 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: OncyT]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: OncyT
Originally Posted By: Larry B
It also seems that Mr. Yanity and the Stillaguamish tribe have a goal of habitat recovery for the good of the fish based upon my several limited discussions with him. In short, we have some significant mutual goals where we can both benefit from working together

I worked in Indian Country for a whole lot of years and don't know of any tribe that doesn't have a goal of habitat recovery for the good of the fish.

My experience also.

Imagine what we could accomplish if we were all pulling in the same direction?

#1021172 - 01/31/20 11:50 AM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

In light of the recent release of the Documentary, and the words that Mr. Yanity spoke of unity and cooperation, we've sent Vice Chair Yanity the following letter. Our hope is, that if true cooperation is the goal, he will understand that it must be built on trust, and trust is accomplished by honesty and openness no matter how uncomfortable.

Here is the copy of the letter:

Vice Chair Yanity,

As we watched the recent documentary, “The Lifeblood”, we were struck with how sincere it was in promoting cooperation.

We too have been advocating for cooperation in saving our salmon and for the need for all the people to come together and work for solutions.

We’ve spent many, many hours testifying to the WDFW Commission, both Directors Unsworth and Susewind and have even reached out to Chairperson Loomis about the need to foster cooperation between all the Co-managers.

Based on what we heard you say in the film, we’re sure you will agree that in order to have cooperation, there must first be a foundation of trust. Trust built on confidence that all sides are willing to be open and transparent no matter how uncomfortable. Anything less breeds distrust and suspicion and consequently is counter productive to cooperation.

Unfortunately, there have been a lot of misdeeds and unethical behavior in our histories. To say there were many injustices done would be an understatement. And it is also understandable that for some, these unfortunate dark stains have lingered and spoiled the hope for mutual trust. We must not forget however, no matter what our differences, we can save the salmon and make a better life for all humans by working together.

As you said, cooperation is the key. It is only through working together that there is hope. However, there is an on-going issue that is standing in the way that we cannot ignore. An obstacle that seems to have a rather simple solution, but to date has been left to fester and grow. The issue of prohibiting public oversight in the North of Falcon negotiations is creating that very obstacle.

Mr. Yanity, as the vice chair to the Northwest Indian Fish Commission, you are in a unique position to help remove this obstacle.

We fully understand that these meetings have been labeled “Government to Government” and that there are discussions in those negotiations that may be uncomfortable. We are also very aware of the issues that occurred in the past, when observers were allowed in these meetings. However, we think you will agree that if we continue to look at the past, we cannot build the future.

If we really hope for meaningful cooperation for the greater good, we must be willing to eliminate as many obstacles to trust as possible.

The recreational fishing community is as dedicated to conservation as any. Therefore, if we could find ways to come together through a nexus of mutual trust, the good we could do would be exponential.

Truly, there are methods to open these meetings to the public without creating interference or undue burden. Technology already exists and is used in the open meetings of our WDFW Commission. A live stream video, broadcast on the public network as they do for the Commission meetings might be a viable method for example.

Vice Chair, time is running out for our salmon and whales. Everyday we waste pointing fingers and blaming others is another day we have failed our responsibilities to our land and our children.

As we’ve explained, we brought this to the State. The leadership of WDFW has repeatedly told us that the decision to open these meetings rests in the Tribal Co-managers hands or in the courts. They assure us that WDFW leadership wants to have full transparency, but the Co-managers have not agreed.

We’ve recently sent an open letter to our Commission members, asking them to reach out to Chair Loomis and to you, and again address the need for open and transparent management and the importance it has to trust in the co-management process.

Please, my concerns are to point out what has become a road block to trust, and I hope you understand that my intent is to ask for your help, and not engage in finger pointing.

Let’s work together to restore the trust. Please, contact the Commission Chair, Larry Carpenter and work towards the real cooperation you spoke about in the documentary.

With respect,

Washington Citizen Sportsmen

#1021196 - 01/31/20 01:40 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Steeldrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pierce county
Excellent letter! Now to see what kind of a response, if any, it gets.

#1021198 - 01/31/20 01:50 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
I received an RFP to produce this video in late 2018 issued by WDFW. I was excited for the opportunity given my inherent interest in and familiarity with the subject matter. However, the stated budget was $50K and couldn't touch it for that so I passed. Interviews, writing, storyboarding, filming, editing, production, etc. - being as efficient as possible we pegged it at $150K. Nicely produced - just hope it brings about some positive effect!

#1021201 - 01/31/20 02:11 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Pete, the letter has a very professional and respectful tone of sincerity and a CLEAR message.

Will it resonate with tribal co-managers? Mebbe THIS time?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1021203 - 01/31/20 02:33 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Both letters are very clear and professional, Perry. Thanks for your continuing efforts.

#1021222 - 01/31/20 07:18 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
When you are asking somebody to come to the table, there has to be something in it for them. What does the NI (rec) side offer to the Tribes in exchange for "open" meetings? They gonna get more fish? What would they get that they don't have already?

#1021231 - 01/31/20 09:23 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Carcassman]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
When you are asking somebody to come to the table, there has to be something in it for them. What does the NI (rec) side offer to the Tribes in exchange for "open" meetings? They gonna get more fish? What would they get that they don't have already?

Valid point. Let’s see...

The tribes have all the cards.
They not only don't want open meetings, doing so would appear weak. They have absolutely no pressure at all to do anything they don't want to.
They have a federal right to fish.
They have us dependent on them to get permits from NOAA
They have the money.
They have the politics and
they have the public relations.

Your right...I can’t think of a single thing more to put on the table to give up .....ummmmm....since they already have the Skokomish, maybe we can offer them the Chehalis.

I suppose we CAN continue the policy of “appease” and wait. Dunno. I guess it all depends on how much more you guys are willing to give up.

Or maybe, just maybe the Tribes aren’t the monsters in the dark after all, and they might see that we really all do need to work together to save our salmon. I guess time will tell. At this point...we don’t have much left to give up, but the longer the tribes take to build trust and cooperation the more we all lose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |