THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102145 - 10/29/02 01:19 PM Whats a good first rod/reel?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
Hey guys I have been thinking of getting into flyfishing for the past year or so and am looking for a good all around rod and reel. I want to fish for Winter Nates, Summer Steelies and catch some chums on this rod...I would prefer a Loomis Rod. Let me know what you all would recomend and how about a good reel as well as the kind of line that you use on yours! Bob I know you told me what you and fishgal use but I forgot.

Thank,
CATCHAZZ laugh

#102146 - 10/29/02 01:43 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
S W J Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I knew you would want to flyfish after you hooked that chum.
good luck
Justin

#102147 - 10/29/02 02:45 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Travis-
Give me a price range for the setup and can make some recommendations.

#102148 - 10/29/02 03:27 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

My price range doesnt really matter I can afford a GL3 or something of that price range, and I dunno maybe up to $150 for a reel?
and Im not sure how much line cost so I cant tell ya about that.
Thanks
CATCHAZZ laugh

#102149 - 10/29/02 03:57 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Travis-
My first suggestion would to take a basic intro flyfishing class or atleast a flycasting lesson or two because once you decide on the weight and length of rod, you must purchase a rod that suits your casting stroke, style and you enjoy throwing.

Any decent shop will let you chuck any rods you are intrested in, which will in the end, decide which rod you are going to purchase.

I own a GL3 and it is a great rod for the money but also take a look at the Sage VPS which isn't much more then then the GL3 or the Winston Ibis which is actually less and it is a 4 piecer.

You want a #8 rod, especially if you are going to chase after chums and big Skagit nates...and you want a 9'6" rod which allows you extra line control, added distance when you are waded up to your chest and better roll casting abilities.

The Sage VPS 9'6" #8 runs $350 and the Winston IBis 10' for a #7 runs $295 as does the 9'6" for a #8 while the GL3 runs right around $295 as well...but like I said, cast before you buy!!!

When purchasing reels always buy American made as they are machined to much better tolerances, come with lifetime warranties and certain models are not discountinued every other year.

I like both the Ross Cimmaron and the Lamson Velocity in the $150-$200 price range. I prefer the Velocity as it is a large arbor (faster line pick up, no need for line stretching) and a 100% sealed drag.

I own a couple of the Velocity's bigger brother, the Litespeed in both trout and steelhead sizes and they are by far my favorite reel!!

Just buy a Rio Versi-tip for now which gives you a floating line and 3 differnt sink-tips without the hassle and added expensive of buy extra spools.

In my own personell steelhead and salmon fishing, I carry 3 spools with me though. A straight long bellied floating line, a Rio Anadramous Dredger which allows me to fish 24' sink-tips of differnt rates (150, 200, 300, 400 and 500 grains) and a homemade sinktip system which lets me fish 15-18 tips of varying sinkrates...but if you want to keep it simple and yet mantain versatility, purchase the Rio Versi-tip.

Make sense?? smile

#102150 - 10/29/02 05:47 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
PFunk Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue,Wa,USA
Catch, Loomis has a 9'9" Rod. I'm not sure of the model. You think I would know what model because I bought it last summer. However it has been sitting in the case and I'm stuck here in the office. I matched it with a (Tionga ?) Reel. I think it would be a nice setup if I ever get out and use it. I also have the Yancy Flyline system with various sink tips. Total cost around $650. This should get the job done. Hope to chase some chums around soon. Let it rain! laugh

#102151 - 10/29/02 06:24 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Damn Ryan, way to bust out a post!!! I think I will stick with a loomis 9'6" or 9'9" GL3 8wt.
And either of those reels that you sugested as well as the line.
This weekend I fished a fly rod for chums for the first time and hooked one my second cast!!!from that point on all I could think about is catching another on a fly rod!!!

I could also go with a GL2 for price reasons but either way there good rods

thanks for all the help...all I will need after this are some good flies to use

THANKS
CATCHAzz laugh

#102152 - 10/29/02 07:00 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Well another site to put my bad luck on or hex on. I had a friend(mtlhead) build me a rod for the winter time. It was built on a St Croix Avid blank. It is a 9' 6" 8wt. While you are looking to get a Gloomis think about a St Croix the're also in that price range.

While I'm on this subject I am going to add that I can't seem to cast anything with this rod. I have a Rio versitip system. And Sunday I was trying to cast a weighted fly and all I seemed to do is just lob it. I thought that if you had the bigger rod,bigger flies would cast alright.

#102153 - 10/29/02 09:35 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Catch, the Loomis 9'9" is the FR1178. I believe they discontinued this rod this year. You might be able to find it still in lot of the fly shops. I like the Sage fly rods but the Gl3 is a nice rod for the $. I have to agree with Sparkey on the Ross reel. I started out with a Cimmaron C4 and it will do the job fine. Lifetime warrenty and the customer service is one of the best with a 2 day turn around.

If you don't wanna spend on extra spools go with the Rio Versi Tips. 4 lines in one. You can get this for aabout $100 to $120

#102154 - 10/29/02 11:07 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Yea that 9'9" is discontinued frown oh well, it also doesnt look like there is a 9'6" for GL3 all I can see is 9ft in the 8wt..I am not sure if that is long enough or not, what are your guy's opions?

#102155 - 10/29/02 11:30 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Travis-
I would seriously look towards a 9'6" but 9' will work...

Old Man-
Hard to say what is going on...if I ever run into you up on the Stilly, I will be more then happy to lend you a hand...ever make it down to Bellevue?...because if you do, I would be more then happy to give you a few casting pointers and troubleshoot your cast.

#102156 - 10/30/02 01:28 AM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Kev Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell, Wa
Wow Sparkey, you should start hiring yourself out...you are that good and honest.

#102157 - 10/30/02 01:36 AM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

I noticed that All Star makes fly rods. anyone have any thoughts on that? I dont need any damn IMX quality rod just something GL2-Gl3 quality, I am sure that that should >???

Travis

#102158 - 10/30/02 02:00 AM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
Wow Sparkey, you should start hiring yourself out...you are that good and honest.
???

#102159 - 10/30/02 04:28 AM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try Rainshadow.

I have a few of the 43 million modulas ones and I like them very much.

TH builds them and uses them himself.

They are great quality and They have a lifetime warantee through TH. He will build them however you want using the components you want.

A few of the Peninsula guides have switched over to them over the past year for both fly and gear rods. Its hard not to with the High quality and low price as well as the lifetime warantee.

Give them a shot at the price your not loosing anything.

I baught a 4# and a 8# from him this summer and it cost me I think $330 for both.

#102160 - 10/30/02 12:26 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Sparkey. Thank's for the invite. I haven't been down that way in about 3 years. Is that shop in the Kmart shopping center. I have to make sure as to where you are at so I don't drive myself nuts trying to find it. Your not to far from Crossroads are you? One more thing what are your hours there. I wouldn't want to make that trip and not find you there. what

#102161 - 10/30/02 01:50 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
A real bummer they discontinued that rod (the 1178) ... for the money, it was a super rod for folks with a limited budget or a good back-up. For that matter, I fish mine a lot still ... and still enjoy it with my lighter to medium-weight lines.

Maybe you can still find one. We've got a couple of the rainshadow blanked rods, but haven't had much chance to fish them yet, so the jury is still out.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#102162 - 10/30/02 07:18 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Hey Rich thanks for that info. Can you tell me what 8wt you got from TH? I looked on there site but he didnt have any fly rods on there just says that they make them.
So about $180 to get a rod and have it look how you want it too from TH?
thats a great deal.

Yea bob that sucks that they discontinued that because I was really thinking of getting that one but...Owell...but I am gonna go through loomis to get the rod not a store if I choose Loomis that is...
THANKS
CATCHazz
evil

#102163 - 10/30/02 08:13 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont know the number but mine is a 9" 8# in the 43 million modulas.

They make a 51 Million Modulas but after I fised the 43 million I decuded I didnt need anything better. No point.

Call TH he can give you any info you need and tell him I sent ya.

#102164 - 10/30/02 10:15 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Its tough to find a 9'6" Fly rod in the 7-9 wt category.
I might be stuck with a 9ft

Thanks for all the help so far guys!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, wolverine), 1049 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |