THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102165 - 10/30/02 11:36 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Man:
Sparkey. Thank's for the invite. I haven't been down that way in about 3 years. Is that shop in the Kmart shopping center.

Your not to far from Crossroads are you?

One more thing what are your hours there. I wouldn't want to make that trip and not find you there.
Jim-
Yep...same shop...Kmart is no longer there (keeps the riffraff out now laugh )...so now it is just an abandoned building with a massive and empty parking lot, perfect for casting!

Just bring your entire setup and I'll see what I can do.

My hours are variable so just let me know when you might be coming down and I'll let you know if I'll be there!

Travis-
There are alot of 9'6 and even a good number of 10'er in 7 and 8 line weights...just be open to other possibilities, aside from Loomis. wink

#102166 - 10/30/02 11:42 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I guess that mine are about the same. Wife works so I have to watch kids. When she gets a day off I usually go fishing. I'll just have to try and squeeze some time in for this. beer

#102167 - 10/31/02 12:35 AM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I use a GL3 1088 with a Lamson reel and love it. Only Fly rod I own and works real well for me. The lamson just says 4 on the side, dont know what model it is, anyone know? It was a hand-me-down.

#102168 - 10/31/02 01:15 AM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Sky-Guy-
Assuming that it is a hand down, I highly doubt it is a new Velocity or Litespeed.

So in that case it would be an LP 4 (Does it have a sold frame (non-ported)?)...a reel that has almost a cult-like following based upon the fact that it was pretty much the first not overly expensive machined aluminum, anodized finish, disc drag reel to hit the market.

#102169 - 10/31/02 02:22 AM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
See Trav, I told you. You just gotta listen to me in the first place. Go try a few out, just like I had said in first place. beathead

Don't go by just the money factor alone. If you find a few in your price range, don't just jump on the brand name you like. Try the rod out (which is hard if you go with a custom built unless you know someone with same rod). Your casting style may not go with the rod you prefer.

I have two 8wts, an older Sage RPL, and a DS896. Both are damned good rods, and both have served me quite well. Both work well with my casting style, and luckily, I got both much cheaper then buying a new low end fly rod. laugh

Hmmmmm, hey sparkey, you have any idea what happens if you return an older RPL that's been snapped? What do they replace it with. I think I may have knicked my rod tip fighting a king around the sled a couple weeks ago. Is fine, but you never know after a knick if it'll break. I have warranty card and all, so I'm set about return. But I know they don't make the RPL's anymore. Plus, I love this rod to death, don't know what I'd do without that rod.

Northwest River Fisherman

#102170 - 10/31/02 02:31 AM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Jerry-
They still make the RPL actually...it is just now marketed as the VPS which is the RPL blank with stripped down componets and a slightly lower price.

If the rod breaks, send it back to Sage and they will replace the broken tip section for $20 (if it was bought post-unlimited lifetime warranty).

Sage has never paid much attention to warranty card...whether you send it in or not or are the 1st owner of the rod or the 100th, they will warranty the rod.

A story about Sage's warrant service....Doublespey and I were walking out of a run on the Skykomish this past June. He stumbles across a 7100-2 RPL (a real sweatheart of a rod!!) butt section with about 2 inches of the tip section still attached (the rest of the rod was nowhere to be found). The rod had been there for an extended period of time as the fighting butt had rotted away and the cork on the handle was seriously pitted.

Sent it back to Sage and 3 weeks and $20 later, Brian had a brand new tip section with a brand new fighting butt attached to the butt section of the rod and cork on the handle totally cleaned up and reparied. laugh

#102171 - 10/31/02 02:52 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
How does a guy go about testing out a fly rod?
I only fish with one person that even fly fishes at all.
I did finally find a SAGE rod that is 9'6" 8wt.
All the others have been 9' . That rod is the Sage DS2 and cost about $235.
I figure the 9ft might be better for fishing for chums but I dont have a clue.

I am planning on having this rod for this winter steelie seasons and my goal is to get a couple nates on it!!!

Thanks,
TRAV
beathead

#102172 - 10/31/02 11:57 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Travis-
Just go to any decent flyshop and they will let you take it out in the parking lot and chuck differnt rods with demo lines.

The DS2 is a great rod at $235 but I would also look at the Scott Alpha 9'6" for a #8 at $265...give or take $15.

The Scott is nice because it is a tad faster and lighter then the DS2...and the Winston Ibis at $295 (#8 9'6") is an absolute canon.

And if you are looking at Sages and do not mind spending an extra $100, take a serious look at the 9'6" #8 VPS which I mentioned prior. 5 years ago this was the ultimate steelhead rod and the VPS/RPL series are still considered by some to be the best casting line of flyrods ever produced.

...and like I said before, go 9'6" as in all situations (except maybe landing fish) the 9'6" offers every possible benefit over a 9'er.

Do end up having to buy 1 rod twice. beathead

#102173 - 11/02/02 11:09 PM Re: Whats a good first rod/reel?
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
I started fishing the Rainshadow blanks two years ago and have been very pleased! I was a Sage guy before that.. but as mentioned above. I now fish the Rainsahdow blanks.

We have several models to choose from (sorry for not getting them on the webiste.. ) If you don't see something let me know and I can have it built smile

RX7 9'6" 5-9 weights. 2 piece.
RX8 9' 3-9 weight
and a bunch of 3 piece and 10/11, and 12/13 rods availble as well.

The RX7 rods run between $160-$190
the RX8 between $180-$230
All with Ti guides

TH
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |