Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102174 - 10/29/02 06:17 PM Chums and Flys
PFunk Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue,Wa,USA
Never fished for chums, never fly fished for chums. I plan on chasing them on the Skykomish this November. If you guys can help me out what are some of the better patterns and colors? As far as where to go I'll spend the time and figure that out. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

#102175 - 10/29/02 09:23 PM Re: Chums and Flys
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I have always had good luck with Chum Candy and Pink Charlies. Patricks over on Eastlak has some new darker green Chum candy and they work well. Just buy one and then you can copy them.

#102176 - 10/29/02 09:37 PM Re: Chums and Flys
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
I have a good freind who swears by chartreuse glo-bugs...it is his go to chum fly whether he is fishing the saltchuck or the rivers.

Chartreuse or pink woolly buggers and rabbit leaches have always been a good producer for me as well.

#102177 - 10/29/02 09:40 PM Re: Chums and Flys
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
I don't think a particuliar pattern works better over another one. I think the color and size are more important. By nature, Dogs will hit the smaller krill or shrimp-like patterns first.

Chums can be finicky other days, they hit anything. Some days they like chartreuse, other days, cerise or ???. Some days a large pattern over a small one. If you are tying flies, usually the simpler the better. Try adding combinations of two or three colors... Chances are Dogs will go for the brighter flourescent colors before the dark ones... just never know.

If you need to buy your patterns.... try:
Chum Candy, Egg Sucking Leeches, Dean River Lanterns, Popsicle... or just about any bright Steelie pattern..

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#102178 - 10/30/02 12:43 PM Re: Chums and Flys
fishgut Offline
Parr

Loc: Marysville
I agree just about anything will work.
I have caught them on the simple olive green bugger as well as the black. The egg sucking leech gives a nice contrasting color, but I don't think any one fly has outdone another in a big way for me.

#102179 - 10/30/02 05:54 PM Re: Chums and Flys
havnfun Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacomca,wa,pierce
plan old glo bug yarn wrapped on the hook works also....nothing fancy about that,just line it thru/between the gums.

#102180 - 10/30/02 06:26 PM Re: Chums and Flys
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Why floss a fish that will willingly slam a fly? Now if we were talking about sockeye that would be different....

#102181 - 10/30/02 08:04 PM Re: Chums and Flys
Divers Offline
Spawner

Had to test out the new camera.
Here is a pic of a Chum candy ( Dark Green)

#102182 - 10/31/02 10:56 AM Re: Chums and Flys
PFunk Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue,Wa,USA
Great looking candy. Will you be handing these treats out tonight? If so where is your neighborhood? Trick or treat and let it rain, let it rain let rain. laugh laugh laugh

#102183 - 11/01/02 12:27 AM Re: Chums and Flys
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
This is not the best picture in the world. I really need to figure my digital camera out better. But this is one of my go to chum flies. I call it a chum bug, probably many others, but this is mine. I was given one of these about 17 years ago on the Satsop by a guy, and I have tied/used them since for chums. I have caught a good majority of my fly caught chummers on this pattern, even when others wouldn't work. I will change the collar a bit, and put black behind eyes. But this has always produced for me.

I agree, usually most chums are hard to figure out. But I mostly fish the same few rivers for them, and these always produce. I even used these on Minter and nailed them as well. I also have a marabou fly that's white/chartruese that spanks them as well. I also tie the above pattern in hot pink, works well too, and I've nailed the occasional winter steelhead with it as well.

Northwest River Fisherman

#102184 - 11/01/02 01:32 AM Re: Chums and Flys
Divers Offline
Spawner

ST69, I like that one.
I have some that look like that but it was for Sockeye.

I have had good luck with this version of a Glass minow for Kings and Silvers and a few Chums.

#102185 - 11/11/02 01:09 AM Re: Chums and Flys
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
When it comes to chum flys, the simpler, and easier to tie the better. I usually fish pink bunny leaches with long tails on 2/0 or 3/0 hooks. They eat em up!!!

Good Luck

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |