Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102368 - 12/18/02 02:34 PM Need gift help- salmon set up
retriever Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton, Wa
Thanks for reading. A very generous friend of mine wants to buy another friend of ours a fly rod and reel. He knows nothing, I know a little, and the recipient knows a lot and he is very picky about his gear. So I've been asked for advice and I need help.
I'm looking for a recommendation for a rod to handle Puget Sound silvers and chums, and probably kings.

Based on the covert discussions Ive had, I kind of settled on 9 weight 9' Sage with an Abel Super Series reel (no idea which designator).

Please help, besides it's kind of fun to shop with someone elses money. Model numbers and retail locations around Seattle will be appreciated.

Thank you, and Peace to you through the year.

#102369 - 12/18/02 11:58 PM Re: Need gift help- salmon set up
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Retreiver-
Get read for alot of advice...because I am going to serve a sh*tload of it up!!

First of all the rod...

If he is set on Sage, I would look at the RPLXi 9' #9 3 piece (they also make this model in a 5 piece which rarely maintains its regulation 5 piece format). Another rod to consider too if you he is using this rod off the beaches (and fishing streams), is the #9 9'6" RPLXi (3 piece)....the added 6" really allows you extra distance while fishing the beaches and allows you extra line control and extra distance as well in the rivers.

In that price range, Sage also makes the XP in a #9 in a 9', 9'6" and 10'er...if he is going to be fishing alot of heavy sinktips and larger flies the beefed up RPLXi will be more of a pleasure to cast all day (plus it is a tad slower and absorbs the energy a heavy sink-tip can produce)....plus the beefed up butt tends to aide one in fighting chum and kings.

On to reels...is he stuck on an Abel??? If not, I would lean towards the Loop Evotec for a couple differnt reasons!

To preface what I am about to say, the Abel is not a bad reel at all, in fact the Abel has proven that is litteraly indestructible and I own a couple myself (Super 12 & Big Game 4.5N).

The Loop offers up the same reliability that the Abel does (have many customers who have put the Loops through the same abuse as Abels and not a single hiccup, let alone a malfunction yet!)

My favorite charcteristic of the Loop (that the Abel does not offer) is a 100% sealed drag!!...the Abel's cork drag (while smooth and proven) will begin to become sticky after say a week of heavy saltwater use in a harsh enviroment where as the Loop's drag requires no rinsing, no cleaning etc. etc.

That may not be a big deal around here but say your buddy wants to take his real on a trip to a harsh enviroment such as Christmas Is. After a week down there of little maintance the Abel's drag begins to stick and skitter...the Loop's does not.

I also like the Loops because they are a true large arbor which aides in line pickup plus they are very very light!!

If you want to take a look at the Loop's....look at the Evotec 8/12 LW...it runs right around $550 and its spools are much cheaper then the comparable Abel.

If you believe he is stuck on the Abel, then look at the Super 10 which runs around $600.

Also take a look at the Tibor Riptide...love the Tibor's outgoing click where as the Abel is silent on the out or available in a cheesy clicker that is now stock on all 2003 production reels.

Whatever you do, do not allow yourself to be talked into purchasing a Ross Canyon for your freind...they are a wonderful reel for the money for Spey rods, light saltwater and stream fishing but their drags are rat traps and after heavy use in saltwater(even with maintence), they require replacing by Ross as salt lodges itself inbetween the drag pads.

Onto lines....first of all, you purchase a $600 rod and $600 reel, do not leave that shop without being offered a flyline on the house...it is the very least they can do.

If he is fishing mainly from a boat, then the Rio 26' Striper Versi-tip would be the route to go and if he is fishing mainly from the beaches, the Rio 15' Stiper Veri-tip would be my line of choice.

Any other questions??? laugh

#102370 - 12/19/02 02:05 AM Re: Need gift help- salmon set up
NWflyfisher Offline
Fry

Loc: Puget Sound
"... He knows nothing, I know a little, and the recipient knows a lot and he is very picky about his gear..."

This is a "no brainer." Give him a gift certificate from the fly shop he frequents.

#102371 - 12/19/02 03:17 AM Re: Need gift help- salmon set up
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
Hey Spark,
I know I could triple the $1200 minimum for a free line...I'm totalling up my Visa reciepts to K's Streambourne as I type....get Randall on the horn! I could use a few....oh heck, just comp me a trip to Belize. It's getting cold here in Utah!!!!

#102372 - 12/19/02 12:10 PM Re: Need gift help- salmon set up
retriever Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton, Wa
Sparkey- thanks a ton for the advice. He is fixated on the Abel, and I suspect he'll be spending most of his time in fresh water, so it's probably OK. You seem to like the 3 piece rods, is that because that's how they are offered, or ????

NWflyguy- gift certifificate was my first thought also, but I think the guy supplying the coin wants to really blow him over. I'll resuggest it.

ChucknDuck. Go Cougs, class of 78.

#102373 - 12/19/02 11:42 PM Re: Need gift help- salmon set up
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by retriever:
Sparkey- thanks a ton for the advice. He is fixated on the Abel, and I suspect he'll be spending most of his time in fresh water, so it's probably OK. You seem to like the 3 piece rods, is that because that's how they are offered, or ????
I love a good five piece rod...a 5 piece rod that holds up. The RPXLi series is availiable in 2, 3 and 5 piecers and IMHO, the 5 piecers tend to like to become 6 piecers (break) which makes me hesitent of a rod that is going to take alot of abuse and could be used on saltwater destinations.

#102374 - 12/19/02 11:53 PM Re: Need gift help- salmon set up
fred evans Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: White City, Oregon
Read, but few posts to this board, but Ryan's on the mark. I'm a Spey Rod guy most of the time but chase a lot of Mr. Sal's here on the Rogue.

Minor change to 'Sparkies' suggestion would be to upline/rod to a 10wt Sage XP. Salmon are large fish (yes, I've beached them on 7wt's) but you're flipping coins even with a 9wt fly rod. if you want to play/release the fish use a 8 or 9 wt 10' rod; if you want to land these fish, consider a 9-10wt rod.
fae

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 894 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |