LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102998 - 01/05/04 06:01 PM pontoon anchor ?
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place
hey you guys i need help with river anchor selection for a Skookum 9' steelheader whitewater cataraft -Getting tired of passing over fishy runs out of the reach of wading....? What pound weight? what shape anchor?
input is applauded.

#102999 - 01/05/04 07:35 PM Re: pontoon anchor ?
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Be very, very careful about anchoring a pontoon boat. The pontoon configuration lends itself to broaching and, potentially, to overturning. Anchor only in the slowest water. The lead pyramid anchor seems to be the almost universal choice in rivers.

#103000 - 01/05/04 10:41 PM Re: pontoon anchor ?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I have a 15lb pyramid anchor for my 8 foot boat. Works fine. I use a "rope ratchet" style pulley, but get the one fo 3/8" or 1/2" rope. I use the 1/2" model with 1/4" rope. It allows for immediate release, and it holds the rope as you pull it in.

Here's a link.... rope ratchet

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#103001 - 01/06/04 02:31 AM Re: pontoon anchor ?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Hey, I responded to your post about the McMillan book. If you stop by, will show you the system that you can buy from Skookum. Has the ratchet like Dogfish shows, but has really nice clamp system pulleys so no bolts and the likes. Can show you the system if you stop by (see the McMillan post) lol.

Actually, with the Steelheader you won't have the problems that most pontoon boat class (full rocker hull) have under anchor. You'll barely move. You'll stay fairly level in the water, even in swift water (I've done it with mine in slots the pontoon type boats would pop a wheelie in). They have a more flat waterline giving you more grab in the water, plus more floatation riding you higher off the water. But 15# is great, 20# if you want it to drop and stick fast. Under 15# with the steelheader and you'll drag that anchor more then hold.

Northwest River Fisherman

#103002 - 01/07/04 12:26 PM Re: pontoon anchor ?
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
I use an 18lb pyramid with my 10' Xstream.

#103003 - 01/07/04 07:08 PM Re: pontoon anchor ?
fred evans Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: White City, Oregon
Another 'answer' used by several folks around here (and the orig. drift boat anchors) is a section of inner tube. Cut a section about 2.5 feet long, lace the bottom shut with nylon (or sum-such) cord. Make an anchor harnes (similar to a "sea anchor" and fill it with 'beach rocks' when you get to the stream.

Off the river ... dump out the rocks. Sounds too simple, but for pontoon boats actually works quite well. Remember, 95% of your 'anchoring' will be in very slow/no moving current.

#103004 - 02/02/04 05:19 PM Re: pontoon anchor ?
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

Steelheader69 - hey sorry i took so long to answer your response. Thanks for the invite to view the McMillan book - I will take you up on that offer. I emailed you awhile back on your website email address and didn't hear from ya. Did you get that mess? Anyhow thanks for the heads up on river anchor systems for skookum steelheader boats. how has your catching been? I've done better than usual, but that's nothing to brag about ! My challenge this year is this- to get more time on the water mid-week. I get burned out on the competiveness of river fishing steelhead on the weekends.
But on the lighter side I saw a 20lb plus hatchery steelhead landed on the nooch 2 weekends ago- never seen that large of a hatchery fish anywhere. I was trying to learn some fly holes. I was bank fishing and left the cataraft at home. Are the fly holes few and far between on the nooch?
you fling flies on the nooch on the weekend or do the bait dudes get in your way. take it EZ! thanks again on the great anchor info.

#103005 - 02/03/04 01:59 AM Re: pontoon anchor ?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Oh, if you email me, email from the link on the board, not my flytying site. Filters on that account seem to delete everything. Go with my Steelheader69@prodigy.net account instead. That's my private account that I read daily.

Traditional fly water is few and far between. You can catch them on the fly, but must work for them and cast into areas you wouldn't normally fish. But, I have some private access water, so I fish unmolested alot. laugh But, I'm injured, so not doing much fishing anyways. Not until shoulder heals.

Northwest River Fisherman

#103006 - 02/03/04 06:43 PM Re: pontoon anchor ?
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

Steelheader69 - sorry to hear 'bout your shoulder! hope it heals quickly.
I was afraid the nooch was fairly limited with flydrifts- i guess i should hit another river for flyfishing this winter and save the nooch for the weekend warrior spin fishing trips with the cronies.
let me know when your healed up and ready for a float - shuttling will be EZ for both of us. I
picked up a new 8wt. S.A. Steelhead taper full floater I'm dying to use. Suspect you should be ready to roll come June 1st !? Hope so.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (20 Gage), 1285 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |