LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1034423 - 07/13/20 03:00 PM Parking lot closed due to ....high demand??
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
OK, so if parking is in hi demand and short supply, why close the parking lot? Makes no sense to me.

The lighthouse beach at Point No Point is beautiful, and has high demand in these summer months. The nearby WDFW parking lot, installed at a cost approaching $4million, was just shut down from now until November because of heavy use and resulting complaints by the neighbors. The newspaper tells of 500 users at the lot per day. But neighbors complained, so because of this, they'll deny 1000 weekend users access to a park and parking lot they already paid for?

Regarding the residents...they should not have bought next door to a public facility. That was their choice. Now they complain, so they now enjoy a vacant lot next door at our expense.

Isn't the job of public officials to OPEN public access, not to shut it down??

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/202...int/5406668002/

What the sam hell.

#1034424 - 07/13/20 03:35 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: ned]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

How much are bolt cutters? I am sick and tired of a few whinny people ruining it for others, especially a facility paid for by us. They don’t like living next to a “launch ramp” then move.

#1034425 - 07/13/20 05:01 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: ned]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I’ll be spending a lot less time over that way this summer with this and one ferry currently running on weekends and costing over $40 per trip.
So what are the actual illegal activities?
My guess it it just people using the parking lot and some homeowners bitching about it.
Good luck over on that side of the pond this summer Blktailhunter.
SF

#1034428 - 07/13/20 10:33 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: Blktailhunter]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Sure wish it was a launch ramp......going on seven years and the USACE hasn't rendered a decision on the permit application submitted by WDFW to build the single lane ramp.

The critical aspect of this is that the activity generating the complaints was not that of recreational boaters (the intended primary users of the facility) but of folks headed to the County parks down the road/beach.

The County needs to recognize that and take responsibility for it maybe by providing the marine host the O&M agreement calls for.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1034430 - 07/13/20 11:24 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: ned]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
If there's not enough parking already how do they think removing parking will solve the problem. Now all those people will just park along the road blocking said neighbor's driveways and mailboxes. Idiots!!

#1034431 - 07/14/20 09:45 AM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: OceanSun]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Clearly it will not solve the parking problem. What it does is put the onus on Kitsap Co. Parks to acknowledge their responsibility for the problem and mitigate the situation. One of the big concerns expressed during the permitting process for PNP was parking which in part is why there is overflow parking on site.

A short term solution might be for Kitsap Co. to offer up a site manager to ensure that those people parking on the WEFW property do not trespass on neighbors' property.

#1034433 - 07/14/20 11:32 AM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: stonefish]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: stonefish

So what are the actual illegal activities?
My guess it it just people using the parking lot and some homeowners bitching about it.

The reason why is. They paved paradise,and put up a parking lot crazy

#1034445 - 07/14/20 02:00 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: stonefish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

One thing to keep in mind is the strong likelihood that the neighbors between the WDFW property and the County Lighthouse Park own tidelands.

#1034449 - 07/14/20 04:14 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: ned]
King of the Beach

True, it might be walking on the private tide lands is the illegal activity.

With that being said, there has always been county park overflow parking along the road just east of the WDFW non ramp facility and walk in access is still allowed. That overflow parking has been there for as long as I can remember. We used to park there all the time when the park parking lot was smaller and undeveloped and would fill up quickly.
So I doubt locking the parking lot is going to stop people from walking on private tidelands if that is indeed the illegal activity.

Also, who goes to a public beach and goes walking in someone’s yard as the article states? That would be someone’s front yard in this case.
It sounds like of exaggeration to me to help get this locked up.
SF

#1034451 - 07/14/20 04:52 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: ned]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
All of this sounds like an excuse and cover to me....

#1034455 - 07/14/20 08:38 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: stonefish]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

With that being said, there has always been county park overflow parking along the road just east of the WDFW non ramp facility and walk in access is still allowed. That overflow parking has been there for as long as I can remember. We used to park there all the time when the park parking lot was smaller and undeveloped and would fill up quickly.
So I doubt locking the parking lot is going to stop people from walking on private tidelands if that is indeed the illegal activity.

Also, who goes to a public beach and goes walking in someone’s yard as the article states? That would be someone’s front yard in this case.
SF

I may be wrong, but I don’t think it is illegal to walk along the beach on someone’s property as in from PNP to the beach at the launch facility or vice versa. What would be illegal is stopping to fish, sit or even pick up shells. Just transiting across the property is fine, at least that is what my brother tells me who owns beach front property on the Hood Canal near Salsbury.
That being said, I use the facility to launch a kayak on occasion. I guess I’ll have to park on the street and wheel it under the gate...quietly.

#1034456 - 07/14/20 08:46 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: stonefish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

SF

Some of the neighbors fought the PNP ramp project; wouldn't surprise me if it is the same folks. Also wouldn't surprise me if the complainants consider the beach their yard and particularly the log and sand portion.

One the other hand there are some really inconsiderate people out there who have no regard for others' property. Anything is possible.

#1034457 - 07/14/20 08:54 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: Blktailhunter]
King of the Beach

Originally Posted By: Blktailhunter

SF

I may be wrong, but I don’t think it is illegal to walk along the beach on someone’s property as in from PNP to the beach at the launch facility or vice versa. What would be illegal is stopping to fish, sit or even pick up shells. Just transiting across the property is fine, at least that is what my brother tells me who owns beach front property on the Hood Canal near Salsbury.
That being said, I use the facility to launch a kayak on occasion. I guess I’ll have to park on the street and wheel it under the gate...quietly.

I think it depends on whether they own the tidelands or not, but that can be a convoluted debate has I’m sure you know.
I’ve found most people to be pretty cool but every once in awhile you run into a real hard ass about their property rights. Most the time I’ve found them to be newer property owner who moved here from
out of state, but not always.
I just move on if if I run into one of those types.
I understand they are paying a hefty tab as far as property taxes but if someone is just moving through and not parked there fishing etc as you said, it shouldn’t be a problem.
Over the years I’ve become pretty good friends with a number of homeowners on various beaches. I try to pick up any litter I find and respect their privacy by being quiet.
A fish or good bottle of wine or booze can open up some pretty good access and friendships. Last time I fished up north I got served teriyaki kabobs on a private beach.
SF

Edited by stonefish (07/14/20 08:55 PM)

#1034489 - 07/15/20 04:37 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: ned]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
They keep on blocking access to my usual and accustomed fishing grounds.

I wonder what would happen if there is an organized protest.

Fishermen's Lives Matter!

#1034491 - 07/15/20 04:55 PM Re: Parking lot closed due to ....high demand?? [Re: Steelheadman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Steelheadman
They keep on blocking access to my usual and accustomed fishing grounds.

I wonder what would happen if there is an organized protest.

Fishermen's Lives Matter!

If that includes PNP you can probably park outside and walk through to fish.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645294 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |