Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1038742 - 09/27/20 09:50 AM Willapa Run Size Update
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

I was asked to post the E mail from Chad Herring so folks would know what is going on. Then this, no the public was not advised of this, yes the Willapa Adviser were advised of this. Do I think the run size of Coho is 400% to 500% larger than the preseason forecast .............. ah nope but it was early just as Grays Harbor was. From what I know I think the coast fish came in early and will end up above forecast. This move by WDFW in Willapa is all about getting the nets back in the water, period. Not about conservation or rec just getting more commercial time by manipulating the models.

From Mr. Herring,

In regards to the status of fisheries, the marine recreational fishery has performed below preseason predictions in terms of catch and impacts. The commercial fishery which began after Labor Day exceeded expectations for the harvest of coho and impacts to unmarked Chinook while the harvest of hatchery Chinook came in below expectation in the first week. As was discussed in my email to the advisory group on September 9, changes were made to the commercial fishery schedule in an effort to reduce the number of unmarked Chinook impacts to preserve fishery opportunity for directed coho fishing throughout the remainder of the season. Preseason planned commercial fishing openers were cancelled and remaining openers in the first couple weeks of the fishery were changed from small mesh gillnet as the allowable gear type to tangle net gear as tangle nets have a lower release mortality. Since those changes took effect, the marine fisheries are currently still within the preseason predicted number of unmarked Chinook impacts to attain the conservation objective of a 14% impact rate cap to natural origin Willapa River and Naselle River Chinook. The harvest of coho, both hatchery and natural origin, in the commercial fishery has far exceeded preseason predictions.

As has been discussed with the group before, the Department does not currently have the ability to update Chinook runsize in-season but does have a tool to evaluate the runsize of coho in-season. This in-season update model (ISU) has been employed in previous years and is based on catch per unit effort in commercial fisheries. The ISU begins to become statistically significant in statistical week 38 (Sept 13 – 19) and that significance improves as more data points are added through time. We are currently in stat week 39 (Sept 20 – 26). Utilizing the data collected to date the ISU model predicts a natural origin coho runsize between 69,656 fish to 35,788 fish. This prediction is much higher than the preseason forecasted runsize of 16,074 natural origin coho.

Given the information described above, more detailed numbers will be provided to the group and the distribution list as soon as regional staff finish the update materials, the Department would like to gather some input on possible in-season management actions. As currently there are remaining unmarked Chinook impacts available and larger run of coho than predicted preseason, the Department would like to hear thoughts on adjustments to both commercial and recreational fisheries moving forward. Since, commercial fisheries lost opportunity early in the season to conserve unmarked Chinook impacts and with minimal Chinook impacts likely to occur in successive weeks coupled with the predicted increased harvest potential of hatchery coho, commercial fishery opportunity in stat week 40 (Sept 27 – Oct 3) could be increased from 2 days (Mon. and Thur.) to 3 days (Mon., Wed., and Fri.). Preseason recreational freshwater fisheries were scheduled to be mark selective for coho given the low forecasted runsize. This was planned due to the harvest priority of coho in Policy C-3622 to commercial fishers and the limited numbers of available natural origin coho to achieve the management objective of providing for an spawning escapement of at least 13,600 natural origin coho. With the ISU model predicting a much higher number of returning adult natural origin coho and evaluation of recent years harvest estimates of natural origin (2015 – 2018 Catch Record Card average estimate of 1,006 fish), discussion should be had about eliminating the mark selective component of the preseason fishery plan and opening areas that were planned to be closed preseason due to the lack of available hatchery coho. Regional staff are currently working on a Willapa Bay terminal Area Management Model (WB TAMM) that incorporates harvest/impacts accrued to date and the fishery adjustments described above. Preliminary indications from that modeling work suggest that preseason management objectives would still be attained for all three species, Chinook (14% impact rate cap), coho (13,600 natural origin spawners), and chum (10% impact rate cap).

This summary is what is up for discussion with the group today at 1pm and apologize if I left out any clarifying details. Feel free to reach out to me or technical staff with any questions and the Department will absolutely consider any written comments we receive.
Thanks,
Chad Herring

#1038747 - 09/27/20 11:54 AM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

So folks can compare apples to apples on this I thought I would add this. The Chehalis hatchery & wild combined forecast is 69,830 with wild only 43,478. So using the logic put forth in Willapa the Chehalis Coho runsize on wild Coho would increase to 86,956 at the bottom range ( nearly double ) to a 430% high end increase for a run size of 186,955. Coho H & W combined the high end is 300,269.

Now if you use Grays Harbor Aggregate as is used in Willapa for Coho ( H & W ) the logic gets mind blowing. Preseason Coho forecast for all Grays Harbor was 84,525 so using the Willapa logic at the low end doubling would be 169,050 and the high end 363,457. You buy these numbers I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya!

This is a classic example of why it is not a good idea to manipulate the models to enable harvest be it rec, NT commercial or tribal. What is known is the runs came in early in Willapa in substantial numbers but just how many fish is a big question. I have been told the dam counts have the Columbia doing 20% or so above expectations which is good but the Columbia has the ability to count the fish. What Mr. Herring is doing in Willapa is simply blatant manipulation of the model to allow expanded commercial harvest utilizing data that has consistently been wrong, in fact not even close to accurately forecasting runs and harvest impacts.

In the end it will be the fish that pay the bill for this foray into the world of stupid.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/27/20 11:57 AM)

#1038757 - 09/27/20 04:24 PM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
At some point, folks need to realize that ESA listings are the result of management decisions. Period. We have chosen to over harvest, destroy habitat, and so on. Somebody needs to call out the decision makers.

#1038762 - 09/28/20 09:35 AM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

This reminds me that since WDFW is the only management entity in WB, WB should be the gold standard, or poster child, of just how good WDFW is at the art and science of salmon management. Rivrguy, your criticisms are too kind.

#1038763 - 09/28/20 09:43 AM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Salmo g.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
This reminds me that since WDFW is the only management entity in WB, WB should be the gold standard, or poster child, of just how good WDFW is at the art and science of salmon management. Rivrguy, your criticisms are too kind.

Not too sure about "gold standard", but "poster child"? Yes, 100%.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1038764 - 09/28/20 10:04 AM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

Good post......Thanks Rivrguy

I see what could be a similar problem in the Chehalis system.....Lot's of fish being mark on "fish finders".

Earlier the Chehalis River was open, 8/1 - 9/15 for jacks only. There were days that were "like the old days".....jacks everywhere.

River has been closed since 9/16 - 10/01 BUT the marine opened 9/23. I've been fishing the Marine area, my fish finder is marking so many find I'm starting to wonder if I'm in a fish hatchery.

It'd be nice if WDFW and QIN had a Plan B.....I think the run size is going to be above the model......what a waste of a resource that could overwhelm the hatcheries and have to then be "killed/resourced".

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1038796 - 09/28/20 05:41 PM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

they probably do have a plan B .. give the tribe more days and the sports still only one coho

mainly region 6

#1038800 - 09/28/20 06:42 PM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: steely slammer]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Hey guys we should try to keep this to Willapa issues. I used GH only because I had the model & numbers to utilize and did not for another location. Willapa is a rural area and does not get the attention from Recs and conservation minded folks that areas such as Puget sound or the Columbia. It is also a clear picture of what salmon management by WDFW would look like if totally left to their means, which in itself is a sad statement.

#1038802 - 09/28/20 08:00 PM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Sad but true Rivrguy. WB should be where the best work is done. Nobody outside the agency to ask. Shameful, I think.

#1038815 - 09/29/20 08:21 AM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

I agree that it is a "current" Willapa issue.......but any decisions are skewed to the commercial side. The Commission is definitely weighted to the commercial side, just take a look at the Columbia River, had a policy of restricted gill netting, now all that is changed back to allowing netting in the main stem.

Yes I realize that Willapa is 100% WDFW controlled BUT history tells me that sports get/got the short end of the stick on more issues, than the other way around.

The model, the model, ugh the model......I sit in about as many meetings as most people on this board.....if the model worked correctly, then how was it so far off in 2020 ?????

Why is there no comments from persons on the sports side, on the Advisory Committee???????

Edited by DrifterWA (09/29/20 08:24 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1038909 - 09/30/20 11:48 AM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
steelhead59 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
Over 300,000 lbs. were surplus out of the Nemah and Naselle hatchery this week, going to turned into cat and dog food.

#1038932 - 09/30/20 01:05 PM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: steelhead59]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

As of the 23rd Nemah had 1000 on hand and Naselle 1356 Chinook. Have to wait a few days for the next report but I think you have an extra zero in the pounds shipped. Also any funds generated go to the volunteer program not WDFW. They also spawned for eggtake for the hatcheries and the two are programed for 8 million and change eggtake with an average of 3000 eggs per female. So good guess is about a third of the way to getting eggtake with returns being similar to 2019 for same place in time.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/30/20 02:05 PM)

#1038966 - 10/01/20 01:51 PM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

So the updated Oct 1 numbers are Nemah adult total 4393 eggtake 813,000 onhand 1653 surplused 1798

Naselle adult total 3467 eggtake 423,000 onhand 2500 surplused 474.

The escapement report does not show male / female but it is common to surplus males early on to reduce the loading on the holding pond. Eggtake for both facilities is 8 million & change so they have a ways to go.

Also Naselle has 11,084 Coho reported to the facility with 5371 onhand and 6369 surplused with nothing for eggtake yet.

LINK TO REPORT: https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-10/weekly_escapement_10-1-2020.pdf

Edited by Rivrguy (10/01/20 01:57 PM)

#1038981 - 10/01/20 08:01 PM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Just had this forwarded to me so I am posting for you all, And no to the question to if this was sent to the public. That is not how Chad Herring and Ron Warren do business, they like things nice and private.

This looks good until this, go to the Escapement Returns utilizing the link I posted a couple of days ago. Look to week of Oct 1 then Chinook and Naselle. Now look to the release column which are the fish put above the weir at the hatchery. It is 59 if I recall and the escapement goal is somewhere around 1400.

The devil makes me do this............. Hey CM what do you think of this conservation based management? Hope his wife is around to give him a whack to get the lungs working!

FROM MR. HERRING:

Good afternoon advisors,

Just wanted to follow-up with everyone concerning Willapa Bay fisheries. As discussed in the email chain below, Department staff have continued to monitor the recreational and commercial fisheries as well as the hatchery returns to date. Staff are currently working on updating the weekly mailer information and that should go out by the end of the week. Data collected to date indicates that there are remaining unmarked Chinook impacts available as well as coho runsize larger than the preseason prediction. Based on these factors the Department will be making additional changes to the preseason fishery plan. In a effort to focus recreational freshwater fisheries on abundant hatchery coho, the sections currently open in the Willapa River and Naselle River will see an increased bag limit of three adult salmon of which one may be a wild coho and a release requirement for unmarked Chinook. The section in the Naselle River from Hwy 4 bridge to the hatchery will remain closed until October 16th as planned preseason but will have the increased bag limit when it opens. All other traditional freshwater fishing areas of Willapa Bay that had been closed to salmon fishing this year will be open with a one adult bag limit with a release requirement for unmarked Chinook. These regulations are planned to take effect as of Saturday and run to their traditional closing dates. The commercial fishery schedule will be adjusted next week from two twelve-hour openers scheduled for Monday and Thursday to three openers planned for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Once again, thank you for your participation and submitting your thoughts on our advisory call.

#1039088 - 10/02/20 04:53 PM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Ok guys here is Barbara's weekly Willapa report.

Hi Everyone,

This email is to provide you a weekly in-season update on Willapa Bay fisheries, hatcheries, and spawner surveys through September 30, 2020.

Recreational Marine Fishery
As of yesterday, September 30, 2020, the recreational monitoring in the Willapa Bay marine area 2.1 is officially complete for 2020. It has been an interesting season. First, we had to figure out how to deal with COVID and how to complete the work interacting with the public while keeping our staff as safe as possible. Next, the fishery started slow relative to effort and catch then things picked up in August and September. Effort peaked the week of August 24 – 30. Chinook catch peaked the same week as effort but coho catch peaked two weeks later the week of Labor Day, September 7 – 13. We sampled 4,270 anglers and observed 2,104 boats at the Tokeland and South Bend boat launches during our four days per week monitoring dockside. We actually sampled 346 hatchery Chinook and 300 coho for the season. Given the issues we have all faced the last six months due to COVID-19, I think this recreational marine season turned out pretty well. (See attachment: 2020 WB Marine Area Recreational Data & Catch Estimate Summary Draft 09.30.2020.pdf)

Commercial Fishery
Over the last two weeks, the Department has made four adjustments to the commercial fishery via emergency regulation changes.
• First, the Department closed two of the commercial fishing areas (2M and 2U) on Sept. 17 due to concerns regarding unmarked Chinook impacts.
• Second, the two days scheduled in week Sept. 22 – 25 were shifted by one day from Monday, September 21, and Thursday, September 24, to Tuesday, September 22, and Friday, September 25 to allow for additional data analysis after each opening day.
• Third, the Department switched the allowable gear for that same week in the second bullet from small mesh gear to the smaller tangle net gear to help minimize the impacts to any remaining unmarked Chinook.
• Finally, the Department added an additional day to the commercial fishery this week, Sept. 28 – Oct 2, by removing the originally scheduled day, Thursday, Oct. 1, and adding Wednesday, Sept. 30 and Friday, Oct. 2. This additional day was due to several factors:
o The Department uses a modeling tool to evaluate the runsize of coho in-season that is based on the catch per unit effort (CPUE) of the current commercial fishery. The significance of the model improves as more data are added. Currently, we are in statistical week 40 and the in-season update model (ISU) is predicting a higher natural origin coho runsize than the preseason forecasted runsize that we started with during North of Falcon.
o The Department also utilizes a model to plan fisheries preseason, the Willapa Bay Terminal Area Management Model (TAMM). This model will estimate catch, impacts, escapements, and harvest rates for each fishery by species. When adding the data from the ISU model to the TAMM, the TAMM model predicts a natural origin coho escapement almost three times higher than the natural origin escapement goal of 13,600 fish.
o Since the commercial fishery lost opportunity early in the season to conserve unmarked Chinook salmon coupled with the predicted increase in harvest potential of hatchery coho, the Department decided to add the additional day this week.
• Early indications from the ISU and TAMM models suggests the preseason management objectives would still be attained for all three species; Chinook salmon (14% impact rate cap), coho (13,600 natural origin spawners), and chum (10% impact rate cap).

The Department is actively monitoring each day the commercial fishery is open and analyzing the data as quickly as possible as well as having daily updates on hatchery broodstock and spawner surveys. (See attachment: 2020 WB impacts by area total catch summary Draft week 40 10.01.2020.pdf )

As of today, after further evaluation of recreational and commercial fisheries as well as hatchery returns to-date and the in-season update of the coho runsize (see above), the data collected to-date indicates there are remaining unmarked Chinook impacts available as well as a coho runsize larger than the preseason prediction. Based on these factors, the Department will be making additional changes to the freshwater recreational fisheries within Willapa Bay.
1. Sections currently open in the Willapa and Naselle rivers will see an increased bag limit from a two fish salmon adult bag to a three fish salmon adult bag limit, one of which may be a wild coho and a release requirement for unmarked Chinook.
2. The section in the Naselle River from Hwy 4 bridge to 300’ below the upstream entrance of the Naselle Hatchery attraction channel will remain closed until October 16th as planned preseason but will have similar regulation as the rest of the Naselle River when it opens.
3. The sections of the Nemah River (Middle, North, and South) will open for salmon with a 1 fish adult bag limit and a release requirement of all Chinook.
4. All other traditional freshwater fishing areas of Willapa Bay that had been closed to salmon fishing for 2020 (North River, Smith Creek, and Bear River) will be open with a one adult bag limit with a release requirement for unmarked Chinook.
5. The emergency regulation will be filed tomorrow, Oct. 2. These regulations are planned to take effect as of Saturday, October 3, and run to their traditional closing dates of either December 31 or January 31.

The commercial fishery schedule will also be adjusted next week, October 5 – 9, from two twelve-hour openers scheduled for Monday (Oct. 5) and Thursday (Oct. 8) to three openers planned for Monday (Oct. 5), Wednesday (Oct. 7), and Friday (Oct. 9). All other rules will remain in effect.

Hatchery Chinook Rack Returns
We started spawning Chinook salmon this week. We typically spawn one day a week per facility but we have so many fish at the hatchery, both Chinook and coho, that we spawned twice at Nemah Hatchery this week and three times at Naselle Hatchery (Tuesday, Wednesday, today) this week. Our first day spawning at Forks Creek Hatchery was today as well. We have a high proportion of coho that have already volunteered into all three facilities. This is probably due to the higher than predicted coho runsize we are seeing for 2020 (see the commercial fishery update above). We are also finding at all three facilities that there are a lot of Chinook, both males and females, that are still not ready to spawn. (See attachment: 2020 WB Hatchery Chinook Eggtake 10..01.2020.pdf).

Naselle Hatchery:
The Chinook program release goal for the Naselle Hatchery is 5,000,000 eggs. The increase in production for Naselle is directed at increasing prey availability for Southern Resident Killer Whales. To make program goal, we will need 1,833 females. To-date, we have spawned 305 female Chinook. To make the program goal, we still need an additional 1,528 female Chinook. Currently, we have 2,000 Chinook on-hand (males and females combined) in the pond. These fish on-hand will be kept in the pond until next week then we will attempt to spawn more fish if they are ready.

Nemah Hatchery:
The Chinook program release goal for the Nemah Hatchery is 3,300,000 eggs. To make program goal, we will need 1,210 females. To-date, we have spawned 271 female Chinook. To make program goal, we still need an additional 939 female Chinook. Currently, we have 1,653 Chinook on-hand (males and females combined) in the pond. As with Naselle Hatchery, these fish on-hand will be remain in the pond until we spawn next week.

Forks Creek Hatchery:
The Chinook program release goal for Forks Creek Hatchery is 400,000 eggs. Today was the first day we have spawned Chinook at Forks Creek Hatchery. Those data have yet to be entered from today’s spawn but to make program goal, we will need 147 females. Typically, we have made program goal at Forks Creek for Chinook.

Spawning Ground Surveys
Salmon spawning season in Willapa Bay is officially in full swing. We saw 4,100+ coho and Chinook salmon staging below the weir on the Naselle and we recorded 30+ Chinook redds. The survey below the weir on the Nemah River had 61 redds and a large number of live Chinook. Surveys throughout Willapa Bay are observing Chinook spawning from Fall River to the Upper SF Willapa. There have been no coho redds observed yet, but we expect to start seeing them in next couple of weeks. A couple of chum have been observed in Canon River, which is early considering traditional run timing, but hopefully a positive sign for things to come. We will be conducting more surveys over the next few days to complete this week. We are excited to see what is out there in the rivers.

As always, in-season data is preliminary and subject to change. This email and any attachments will be posted to our website using the link provided below for the Willapa Bay Marine Area 2.1 Recreational Creel Monitoring.

If you have any comments or questions regarding any of the information provided in these emails, please submit your comments to WillapaBay@dfw.wa.gov.

Additionally, if you know of anyone who might be interested in receiving these weekly in-season updates or any other information we may send out regarding Willapa Bay fisheries, please forward this email and have them reply stating they would like to be added to our email distribution list.

Thank you and Happy Fishing!
Barbara McClellan
Willapa Bay Fisheries Management
WDFW Region 6 Montesano

#1039091 - 10/02/20 06:45 PM Re: Willapa Run Size Update [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

And here are the changes.

Coho salmon fishing to open in Willapa Bay tributaries
Action: Open coho salmon fishing.
Effective date: Oct. 3, 2020 until further notice.
Species affected: Coho salmon.
Locations: Fork Creek, Naselle River, Nemah River Middle, Nemah River North, Nemah River South, Willapa River, Willapa River South Fork, North River, Smith Creek, Bear River.
Rules:
1. Bear River – from mouth (Hwy 101 Bridge) to Lime Quarry Road (approx. 2 river miles): Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 1. Release wild Chinook.
2. Fork Creek – from Forks Creek Hatchery rack upstream 500' at fishing boundary sign: Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size. 12". Daily limit 3. Only 1 may be a wild coho. Release wild Chinook.
3. Naselle River – from the Hwy 101 Bridge to the Hwy 4 Bridge: Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 3. Only 1 may be a wild coho. Release wild Chinook.
4. Naselle River – from the Hwy 4 Bridge to the Crown Mainline (Salme) Bridge: Open to salmon Oct. 16, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 3. Only 1 may be a wild coho. Release wild Chinook.
5. Nemah River, Middle – from mouth upstream to the Department of Natural Resources decommissioned bridge on Middle Nemah A-Line Rd.: Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 1. Release Chinook.
6. Nemah River, North – from Hwy 101 Bridge upstream to bridge on Nemah Valley Road: Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 1. Release Chinook.
7. Nemah River, North – from Nemah Hatchery barrier dam to N700 Rd (46° 28.58N, 123°48.54W): Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 1. Release Chinook.
8. Nemah River, South – from mouth (Lynn Point 117° true to opposite shore) upstream – Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 1. Release Chinook.
9. North River – from the Hwy 105 Bridge to Fall River: Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 1. Release wild Chinook.
10. Smith Creek – from mouth to Hwy 101 Bridge: Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through December 31, 2020. Min. size 12". Daily limit 1. Release wild Chinook.
11. Willapa River – from mouth (City of South Bend boat launch) to Hwy 6 Bridge (near the town of Lebam): Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 3. Only 1 may be a wild coho. Release wild Chinook.
12. Willapa River, South Fork – from mouth to 400' downstream of falls/fish ladder in Sec. 6 T13N R8W: Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 3. Only 1 may be a wild coho. Release wild Chinook.
13. Willapa River, South Fork – from falls/fish ladder in Sec. 6 T13N R8W to Pehl Rd. Bridge: Open for salmon Oct. 3, 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. Min. size 12". Daily limit 3. Only 1 may be a wild coho. Release wild Chinook.
Reason for action: The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife uses two different modeling tools to evaluate the runsize of coho in-season, based on the catch per unit effort (CPUE) of the commercial fisheries and the Terminal Area Management Model (TAMM) to estimate catch, impacts, escapement and harvest rates for each fishery by species preseason. The prediction from these models indicates a much higher coho runsize and coho natural origin escapement than predicted preseason.
Department staff have continued to monitor recreational and commercial fisheries as well as the hatchery returns to date. Data collected to date indicates there are remaining unmarked Chinook impacts available as well as a coho runsize larger than the preseason prediction. After further evaluation of these factors, fishery managers have decided that additional changes to the preseason recreational fishery for freshwater fisheries is warranted.
Additional information: For more information on permanent rules and other Willapa Bay fisheries see https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations
Information contact: Region 6 Montesano office, 360-249-4628.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |