THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1043058 - 12/03/20 06:11 AM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: ]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
12/03/2020

Originally Posted By: Reefskunk
I better be able to plug fish the lower river(s).

Chest Waders and a looooong rod, you'll be good to go !!!!!!!!

Be safe, everyone................

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1043059 - 12/03/20 07:20 AM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: On The Swing]
Get Bent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Vashon/Grayland
Generally steelhead runs closely follow silver runs in numbers. The central coast greatly exceeded forecasts for both hatchery and wilds. I’m an optimist.

The boat thing has been discussed here many time and it generally ends with a discussion of the Deschutes with regards to the massive success of rebound of the local wild stocks. I’m a fan. This creates refuge areas dispersed throughout the entire drainage and not only the headend of the water shed. Probably implemented in a drainage by drainage basis. No bait hurts but I’ll get over it. Todd’s sales will skyrocket.

#1043065 - 12/03/20 09:46 AM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

If the management objective is to reduce gear encounters with steelhead, then prohibiting fishing from boats makes sense. I think I've read that something like 70% of steelhead are caught by anglers fishing with guides who fish from boats. So a lot fewer steelhead are going to be hooked under this kind of regulation. Makes it tough for guides though. I wonder how guides will respond? Switch to walk-and-wade guiding, or get a non-resident OR guide license?

#1043066 - 12/03/20 09:48 AM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: The Moderator]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: elparquito

Word on the street is that #3 will happen soon. Look for the WDFW email soon.

IMO, if steelhead fishing from a boat is going to be that big of an impact to the fishery, it's time to just close it all down - statewide.

Hey Paker, just because fishing from a boat with a guide is the only way you can catch a fish doesn't make your chosen method an all or nothing proposition.

#1043069 - 12/03/20 10:05 AM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salmo g.]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Hey Paker, just because fishing from a boat with a guide is the only way you can catch a fish doesn't make your chosen method an all or nothing proposition.

Last fisherman standing on the rock fishing for that very last steelhead, please turn out the lights when you leave.

Note: If it's a fly flinger, they won't actually hook or catch that last steelhead, but will be bitching about how everyone destroyed the wild steelhead as they continue to flog the water, ascot waving in the breeze....

Double Note: This will only apply to the coastal rivers, whatever those may be. As for the rest of you boat owners, feel free to continue to fish out of boat for your depressed runs of wild steelhead.

Carry on.

#1043079 - 12/03/20 10:32 AM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

What rivers will be affected by the boat law?

#1043085 - 12/03/20 11:43 AM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
In managing, there is a number of animals that can be killed/caught. As the number of humans change them increases, that number gets taken faster.

First big sport fishery I was involved in managing was the '80 Lake WA sockeye. It was open for weeks and finally died a natural death as interest waned and fish moved into streams to spawn. Now, because of increased "technology" that same fishery lasts days.

If you want a months-long steelhead fishery then catch per day has got to be low. You can limit the number of anglers or you can limit their success or limit their access to fish. Managers are in a no-win situation because somebody's favorite means of fishing will be affected.

Look at how ell the up-river recs are treated because we worship marine mixed-stock fisheries for salmon. They've seen this for decades.

#1043091 - 12/03/20 12:45 PM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Does anyone know what exact areas wdfw meant by no fishing from a floating device?

#1043095 - 12/03/20 01:42 PM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
My guess is that it would be for all the coastal streams.

There aren't many of them if you break it down. Quinault, Queets, Hoh, Bogachiel, Calawah, Quillayute, Sol Duc. The other streams are too small to fish from a floating device.

The status quo will not sustain coastal steelhead stocks. It's evident that WDFW cannot effectively manage the resource and the only likely course of action that will elicit change will be through the courts. Let's hope citizens and advocacy groups can collaborate and present a unified voice and legal challenge. It appears to be the only hope.

#1043144 - 12/04/20 02:24 PM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Climbing gear and inflatable tree houses are the new wave of tapping the last frontier steelheading!!!!!! I don't need no stinking boat....

#1043149 - 12/04/20 08:32 PM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
Salman Offline
Spawner

In the last 5 years why has it gone from wild retention no gear rules to possibly being shutdown is what I don’t get. I understand the no wild retention & gear rules were meant to curb declining numbers but now it’s come to closing it down. Obvioulsy those rules didn’t work as intended.

#1043152 - 12/05/20 07:17 AM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: Salman
In the last 5 years why has it gone from wild retention no gear rules to possibly being shutdown is what I don’t get. I understand the no wild retention & gear rules were meant to curb declining numbers but now it’s come to closing it down. Obvioulsy those rules didn’t work as intended.

That's what usually happens when action is taken too late and it's combined with the other thousand cuts.

#1043156 - 12/05/20 08:33 AM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
River Nutrients

I believe that after close to 30 years of "recovery management" that most of the listed Chinook and steelhead head stocks in WA are at lower levels than when listed, as are the SRKWs. There are two possibilities. Either we have not done enough in the last 30 years of they animals are headed to extinction despite our efforts.

Seems that "Recovery" has become like lots of kid's sports; we give participation trophies and really don't care about the results.

#1043159 - 12/05/20 10:15 AM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Carcassman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
I believe that after close to 30 years of "recovery management" that most of the listed Chinook and steelhead head stocks in WA are at lower levels than when listed, as are the SRKWs. There are two possibilities. Either we have not done enough in the last 30 years of they animals are headed to extinction despite our efforts.

Seems that "Recovery" has become like lots of kid's sports; we give participation trophies and really don't care about the results.

There's a lotta' meat to chew on in those two short paragraphs C'man. We've spent over a billion state dollars and a lot more federal dollars on habitat improvement since the ESA listings. As if dollars spent somehow translates into species recovery. We pat ourselves on the back for all those habitat improvement and fish passage restorations achieved, which despite the cost, is barely a drop in the bucket in contrast to the magnitude of habitat degradation we did, and amazingly (to me) still do. While at NMFS I had the astonishing (again, to me) conversation with managers who did not perceive any issue with using the number of ESA Section 7 consultations completed as a yardstick to measure progress toward recovery, instead of, as I proposed, the delta change in abundance (increase in numbers of listed fish in listed populations). Ergo, completed consultations = participation trophies in the form of "atta' boys (and girls)" and annual bonuses and awards and even promotions.

I'd like to think it's as simple as having not done enough (we haven't) to reverse declining trends, but my stronger feeling is that we have long since set the stage that governs productivity so that the declines we have and are presently witnessing are mostly beyond our control. I think a long-lived species like the SRKWs really drives that home, at least for me. I think we've made perturbations to the ocean since WWII that are greater than we have the capacity to counter.

#1043160 - 12/05/20 12:30 PM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
River Nutrients

I don't completely agree that we don't have the capacity to counter. We don't have the will because, at its root, the problem is way too many people (world-wide), wasteful consumption, and the like. Having said that, we are really close, though, where the decisions will have been set in concrete (at least in human terms) and the resources just go away.

#1043169 - 12/05/20 07:24 PM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Carcassman]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
I also think we have the ability to counter. Read the Boldt decision. Old Boldt was most concerned about conservation. And we have failed miserably since then. We have the ability to counter through an advisory process or through the courts, but WDFW doesn't have the will, and especially A.G. Ferguson.

#1043304 - 12/08/20 04:41 PM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Sorry Jaek. Looks like it's time for you to buy the Oregon license.

#1043309 - 12/08/20 07:31 PM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Get Bent]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Get Bent

The boat thing has been discussed here many time and it generally ends with a discussion of the Deschutes with regards to the massive success of rebound of the local wild stocks. I’m a fan. This creates refuge areas dispersed throughout the entire drainage and not only the headend of the water shed. Probably implemented in a drainage by drainage basis. No bait hurts but I’ll get over it. Todd’s sales will skyrocket.

Much whining and moaning when no bait/no boat was first instituted.
Fishermen adapted and the fishery improved.
Step-casting heartily encouraged.

At the end of the day, it's the thing to do.

#1043317 - 12/08/20 10:56 PM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Carcassman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Carcassman

WORD!

Right up there with, "If you don't kill them, they WILL spawn."

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1043624 - 12/12/20 07:58 PM Re: Washington Coast Steelhead town hall 5pm. [Re: Salman]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
So what happens to the disabled fishermen and women who bought boats to fish and cannot stand on the bank and fish????

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |