Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133172 - 01/02/02 01:31 AM Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
What do you guys like to fish? i like to fish smaller rivers because i think i have a better chance of hooking a fish and also i think you can get to know them faster(snags rocks structure ect.).
Just wonderin'
tyler

#133173 - 01/02/02 01:39 AM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Medium sized rivers. Small rivers tend to have a lot of brush and snag trees. Big rivers have too much water to bank fish.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Steelheadman ]

#133174 - 01/02/02 01:52 AM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Kalama size rivers........Perfect

#133175 - 01/02/02 09:40 AM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
i like small river for bank fishing and if you have a sled i like a medim to large river. small creeks do have more junk, so i just use 15-18 lb. test and yard em out.

#133176 - 01/03/02 08:28 AM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've always loved fishing the smaller rivers. I enjoy their character and the scenery. I like the better defined water. I like the excitement of hooking and playing steelhead in close quarters. I love the relative solitude. In my younger years, times on the smaller rivers of the north Oregon coast were among the very most fun and special moments of my life; catching lots of steelhead with good buddies.

The difference now is that there aren't as many small rivers with good runs of fish anymore. And many of them have been so posted private by property owners that the states have stopped planting some of them; and closed others to fishing, or both - including my favorite little coastal zipper of years past. I hope one day that the nates can recover well enough to open it to up again to C&R fishing. If I am still alive, I will just stand there and fish with priceless memories of years past. And excuse this sincere but mushy sentiment - I will have a tear or two running down my cheek. It will be similar to the scene toward the end of the movie "A River Runs Thru It", in which the old man casts his fly upon the Blackfoot River; all by himself with his precious memories.

RT

#133177 - 01/03/02 08:54 AM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Small r. definately.Small r. with deep dark foreboding canyons that only helicopters can get into!

#133178 - 01/03/02 10:50 AM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

They all have their virtues and are fun to fish at times but I would choose bigger rivers (with the exception of the columbia) as the least desireable....the cowlitz paints this picture nicely. Small/medium sized rivers are best because there are quite a few that go relatively unnoticed and a fella can get some solitude. Also, I liked fishing defined water with definite holes and seams. Reading water and hooking fish is half the fun.

#133179 - 01/03/02 05:12 PM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
bank walker Offline
Spawner

My favorite has got to be the small streams and creeks. As RT stated, some have been closed and most others have been on the decline for years. Time fishing in solitude is hard to beat and even better when you hook a fish or two. I hate to see papers and F&HNews mention small streams to the masses. My favorite small stream has been very crowded this winter, and it seems like every person i talk to says they found out about it online or in a paper. Hats off to STS for staying out of the "zipperlip" quest.

If things get too busy on the big rivers i can always turn to my favorite stream for solitude, and if nothing else, good memories...
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#133180 - 01/03/02 05:49 PM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
The one I'm on right now.

#133181 - 01/03/02 06:16 PM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Small, boulder strewn rivers.

#133182 - 01/03/02 07:24 PM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
cooter Offline
Parr

Loc: Woodland Washington
Kore, Wow great pic!!

Medium sized rivers where the regs only allow drift boats. Wouldn't the Cow be great if it was restricted to drift boats only a few days a week or every other weekend? I know the residents along the river would appreciate it.

#133183 - 01/03/02 11:21 PM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
WOW! That looks like an awsome river!
Tyler

#133184 - 01/04/02 10:48 AM Re: Bigger vs. Smaller Rivers
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
This ones easy, Long rivers with no Dams on them. Thats as good as it gets.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |