LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133812 - 01/06/02 04:26 PM Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

Hey guys/gals I havent I need some help for a first time tadpolly puller as to which color tadpollys to use in green steelhead water for natives.
Thanks

EGG'S

#133813 - 01/06/02 04:47 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
Why would you try to target natives?

Matt

#133814 - 01/06/02 05:00 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Why not? Maybe he's planning ahead for after the brats are gone...

#133815 - 01/06/02 05:05 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

Rip,I am planning ahead and yes I have been getting some natives about 50/50 in the river that I am fishing.Just curious if anyone will give sopme good info on which colors to use and when.

Thanks.
EGG'S

#133816 - 01/06/02 06:07 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Pink tads have probably caught more steelies then any other color. If your in Oregon the pirates are well known producers! And chrome with black bill will allmost always produce under ideal conditions. Remeber though, the right color won't catch a thing if it doesn't run straight and steelhead aren't present.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#133817 - 01/06/02 06:59 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
Rip,

Because the natives are big!

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#133818 - 01/06/02 07:04 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
fishen fool Offline
Fry

Loc: Albany,OR
Do you really believe that natives bite different colors than hatchery fish??

#133819 - 01/06/02 07:36 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
I was just wondering. I personally wouldn't think that plug color would make that much of a differenced between a hatchery and a wild fish. I guess just match colors with water color.

Matt

#133820 - 01/06/02 08:16 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
RichH Offline
Parr

Loc: Salem, OR
I like metallic red and metallic green for super clear water, copper and chrome are good also. I've found metallic pink works well in slightly colored and beyond.

#133821 - 01/06/02 10:12 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Eggs, if a guy knows how to run plugs, I'd say natives are more likley to hit them than hatchery fish. They are just more aggressive, also they work slowly up the river not just a mad dash to the hatchery on high water. My picks on colors are #1 pink metallic for dialed-in green water, #2 black with the small silver specks for low & gin-clear and lastly #3 white with the black bill on anything over green. My .02

#133822 - 01/07/02 07:55 AM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That old cliche' about the presentation being more important than the color has merrit; given the color is at least in the right ballpark. [Duh RT, we know that!] Aaahhck, there's that voice again. ...

Like they said, tune them to dive straight. I also suggest taking the 2 stock hooks off and using 2 split rings to attach a size 1 Owner 'Stinger Treble' on the back. The extra ring will get this great hook back a little more to get a better hookup. Put a small amount of baitscent oil on the top and hook; not the bottom or sides which can dampen the flash that the fish most often see. Some thin but strong mono such as 10 lb. Izorline Platinum helps to get the plug down quicker and deeper per amount out. Make it wiggle real nice in the holding water. smile >

For use in medium green water, I like a lot of colors. If I had to choose one it would be the metalic pink body with the black head - a stock pattern that seems to be tough to find sometimes. On the underside back by the tail I would put a small arrow shaped piece of flame red lure tape to add a little more attracting/irritating red flash; and one lure tape fisheye under one side of the black bill. [hey, rt, do ya put eyes and arrows on all your crap?] Huh? No. A lot of them though. Not on my eggs. >

For clear water I like either the chrome or copper with the red herring bone pattern. Or custom painted half metalic green with the other side chrome. >

I agree with C/22 that the black and white cop car is good for colored water. I suggest using the Claddertad with the clicking bb's inside. And of course "eyes and arrows". Then I call it the 'red ass cop car with bad guys in the back'. ... The flame red with black stripes is good too. Try a bright chartreuse arrow tail on that one for the colored water. ... Better yet, when the river is up and colored use a Wiggle Wart.

EDIT: Oh man, for nates? De-barb the hooks with the pliers. Try to carefully reverse the hook out of the nate while controlling the fish with a tail wrist hold in the water next to the boat. I was supprised to see a study found that barbless trebles were not more harmful to C&R'd fish than a barbless single siwash, because they often aren't taken as deep. Best to go barbless when a lot of nates are in.

RT

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: RT ]

#133823 - 01/07/02 10:11 AM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
#1 pink w/ black head...
#2 gold, green back and red head (pirate)
#3 copper w/ black head

I really only fish three... plugs.. I can go all year and only pull these plugs they seem to work in a wide range of water conditions and they get bit.

TH

www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#133824 - 01/07/02 01:00 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
pink with a black head laugh laugh aka DR. Death

Tight lines

Kevin

#133825 - 01/07/02 04:09 PM Re: Tadpollys??? which colors for native steelhead?
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
For what it is worth, on the east side where I'm fishing have little or no luck whatsoever with the dr. death version, pink/black head. I keep trying it now and again because so many others do well with it. Here by far the best for me has been the cop car and the blue pirate. Have noticed that the cop car is exceptionally good late in the day with light fading. Good luck!

RM

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
5 registered (Excitable Bob, Carcassman, steely slammer, stonefish, 1 invisible), 1454 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |