Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158261 - 08/26/02 12:25 AM Fly tying
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
I plan on buying a fly tying kit from GI Joes soon. Any ideas from anyone? Should I just buy a few essential tools and a few pieces of material to start instead?

What flies should I start out tying?

Thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.

Curtis

#158262 - 08/26/02 12:55 AM Re: Fly tying
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
Ummm, I would recommend you not buy a "kit". Most fly tying kits are umm well garbage.
Also I recommend buying your tools from a fly shop and the materials from wherever you want. I suggest starting off with flies like wolley buggers. They are easy and catch about anything that swims. If you'd like to ask more specific questions or want more advise please e-mail me
roba26@hotmail.com, more than happy to help but need more time that i wanna get into on a bulletin board.

#158263 - 08/26/02 01:04 AM Re: Fly tying
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Which ever way you choose, it is important to buy the best tools and materials you can afford. This will save you a heep of money in the long run- not to mention better looking flies (believe it!). Personally, I would start out just buying what you need to tie with. Assuming your tying for Trout, the patterns I would recommend beginning with are:

1) 'Buggers- Olive, Black, Brown and Peacock
2) Hare's Ear Nymph
3) Pheasant Tail Nymph (Troth)
4) Adams
5) Elk Hair Caddis

The above patterns are generally the first ones that are taught in most tying classes. Some of the most productive patterns to boot.

If you choose the kit route, have a fly shop put one together for you. Most are willing to give a discount when you go this route. You might pay a little more, but it is worth it. I wouldn't think about buying one off the shelf. The quality of materials and tools are really not up to par. (I'll keep stressing this....)

And this is just the beginning...

Here are a few of my patterns: Midge X Caddis Carey Bugger GRHE Filoplume Prince Steelie Flies: Top Row

Downriggin'
(Funny moniker for a fly fisherman huh?)

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#158264 - 08/26/02 09:57 AM Re: Fly tying
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
Hey Voodoo,
When I got into Fly Tying I think the biggest mistake I made was going out and buying a cheap tying kit. Now I have my NorVise that I use all the time and the stuff that I got with my kit just collects dust. So if you can afford the $, I'd get a quality vise and tools to start out. You can also get some pretty good prices on quality tools in Cabela's. I order a lot of my materials and tools there. As for what to start tying. If you have never tied before, it easiest to start with some Nymphs or Wolly 's. They are a little easier to tie than Dries and it is a good way to get used to your Tools and Vise. Plus, they will catch fish.

Good luck with the tying!!

#158265 - 08/26/02 01:25 PM Re: Fly tying
Scaly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA, USA
Very true that most "kits" are inferior, but I've found one exception. I got a kit by Umpqua for my ladyfriend and it's been more than adequate for getting her "hooked" on tying. Runs about $54. Its best feature may be Skip Morris' book on basic tying -- finally a clear and thorough book on the subject. The book is also available separately, in case you don't buy the kit.
Enjoy the new hobby!

#158266 - 08/27/02 12:21 AM Re: Fly tying
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

When I got started tying flies not so long ago I found this site, www.flyanglersonline.com very helpful for deciding what tools and supplies to start out with. There is also a good picture show of fly tying for the beginner. Look at "for beginners". For buying fly stuff, check out www.flyfishusa.com no tax and free shipping.

#158267 - 08/27/02 11:52 AM Re: Fly tying
3/0_in_my_eye Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
I started tying seven or eight years ago, and I got the cheapest, most basic kit from GIJoes. Personally, I don't think its a bad way to start. First, its cheap. If you've never tied before, you don't really know if you'll like it and keep with it. With the kit, you can find out for relatively little $. Second, it works fine. I taught myself to tie using the chintzy intruction manual, and have caught lots of fish on flies tied with the kit. With a kit, you have everything you need to go home and get started right then. You can always upgrade your tools over time if you like it and want to get more serious.

#158268 - 08/27/02 09:11 PM Re: Fly tying
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Hey thanks guys! I plan on spending anything UNDER $100 to start.. I dont know how much i can get into it.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE! laugh

Curtis

#158269 - 08/28/02 01:38 AM Re: Fly tying
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Hey Voodoo, you ever make it to T town? Let me know, I'll give you a brief rundown on fly tying if you are tying salmon/steelhead flies. I can show you trout as well, but not my bag baby....LOL. I don't trout fish so don't need to tie them.

With $100, you'll pretty much get a cheap kit. Most decent vise's will run you that much for the cheap versions. You can buy cheap now, but if you do decide you want to keep doing it you'll DEFINITELY want to upgrade. I know I was given a kit about 20 years ago, and it sat drawing dust since there was virtually NOTHING in it I could really use. I kept the vise just for laughs. The more you tie, the better vise you'll want. Plus, I agree with downriggin', buy BEST materials you can afford. Cheap materials make cheap flies (I didn't say inexpensive, I said CHEAP).

Northwest River Fisherman

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (Excitable Bob, Carcassman, steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1465 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |