Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170451 - 12/28/02 03:20 PM depthfinder
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
was thinking about getting a new depthfinder for my new boat and was curious what you guys think is the best to get? Are the depthfinder gps combos worth the big money?
thanks

#170452 - 12/28/02 09:20 PM Re: depthfinder
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Do a search for "depthfinder" and "gps" on the board - lotsa stuff on these topics this past year.

Me? I use a Humminbird with sidescan for a depth sounder - cheap and reliable, you can get one for $150 on sale. And a hand-held Garmin Map76 is $300 and the most amazing GPS unit there is, with a base map and automatic track feature you don't even need to worry about waypoints - it shows where you are on the water in relation to landforms and navigation aids, and it lays down the exact route you followed getting there, so when the fog rolls in you just backtrack. Handhelds are nice for when it is dark, wet, and foggy, just stick it in your face when you need it and in your pocket when you don't. Real cool cool

#170453 - 12/29/02 05:25 PM Re: depthfinder
Haifisch Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale WA
If you get a combo unit, if anything goes wrong with one or the other, you are out both while it is fixed. Best money I spent was on a Lowrance X65 (rear fishfinder) second best, Garmin 240 Blue (front fishfinder)

#170454 - 12/29/02 05:42 PM Re: depthfinder
fishjager Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: lynnwood, wa
I agree with having two seperate units. Just in case you have a failure with one. I personally have a Garmin 160 blue, and a Garmin 176C. The great thing about garmin is that they interface with each other. When you mark a loction on the water on your GPS, it will also tell you how deep you are at that time. The GPS will also interface you with most new VHF radios, so if you need to send a may-day all you have to do is hold the panic button and your location is automatically sent to the Coast Guard. Something to think about! rolleyes

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |