Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201765 - 06/29/03 10:25 AM Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Sounds like a great fishery. Where can i launch a 17 ft fiberform up there, can i run this out to that island? and will i be fish food running into snags, boulders and the like?

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#201766 - 07/01/03 09:56 AM Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
LT - My 14 footer only has an 8.8 and 2 of us made it upstream to a bar. If you get the time we can do a shuttle. beer

#201767 - 07/01/03 10:14 PM Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info
S.Szymczak Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Surrey B.C.
Well fellas, Im a first time poster on this site so hello to all. Seccondly, howdy B.Bart.

Now down to buisness

The Fraser above the Mission bridge has many accesable bars for a banky to fish with or without a boat. The boat is just gonna get you a bit more privacy.
7 horse motor?????Nope wouldnt think of it!!!! I value my life to much for that, the Fraser has some fast current, and 7 horses aint gonna get you there safely, 10 is bare bones and still pushing your luck!!
Now as far as the "combat fishery"that sockeye openings provide......well it aint that bad!! People are generaly happy due to the fact that EVERYONE catches their fish!!!

Gear for flossing the Fraser, 2-4oz bouncing betties, 8-12 foot of leader 5 pounds or so less than your main line, 2/0-3/0 hooks, wool, 3 way swivels. Thats it, JUST have lots on hand, you will give up tons of tackle to the river.

No secrets to this fishery, just leave any attitude at home there's lots of fish for everyone.

PS
Historicaly the sockeye opening is the first weekend in Aug.
Its shotgun open and close though, so be ready to head out as soon as it opens!!

#201768 - 07/02/03 12:13 AM Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info
oolichan Offline
Alevin

Loc: the meat hole
To be honest this thread bothers me - the Fraser goonfest is becoming almost too much too handle for this local. That being said, there are a couple things of note that will make it easier for all of us, fish included:

- Use heavy gear, this is a meat fishery and you ARE snagging fish. Please do not use leaders under 15#s, there is enough line in the river already. I recommend 25# leaders. They allow you to handline (with a glove) and release sockeye quickly and they put you in a good position to land the big spings that are invariably flossed.

- Please do not catch and release sockeye all day. Water temps are high and these fish have a long journey. Mortality is estimated at 5-10% - a 75 fish day means you killed 7 - 10 fish. There is no pride in hooking (snagging) 75 sockeye. If you've klunked your two sockeye, toss out the bar rods and plunk for springs. Better yet

- 60 - 80# anchor with 10 feet of chain is standard

- Watch out for submerged Indian nets, they'll stop you dead

- Bring a sounder and find your own piece of water, most of the really busy bars are due to the guys in little tubs with prop driven boats that have a limited range.

- Most importantly, leave some money up north. The strong American dollar makes buying goods and services in Canada a bargain. Gas up your boat/truck and buy some gear locally. Stay a night in Chilliwack or Abbotsford. Consider hiring a local guide (send me a PM for some referals) for a great day on the water, you will gain invaluable local knowledge, and have a great shot at landing 2 socks, a spring and a 6-10' sturgeon all in the same day.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |