Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#232562 - 02/11/04 12:26 AM no more WILD fish pics
win2run Offline
Alevin

Loc: up
Since the WILD fish cannot be removed from the water,no more wild pics should be seen on ANY of these or other website pages.Makes it tough to scale and measure what you catch for a replica mount.Thanks wdfw.

#232563 - 02/11/04 12:35 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
What about anonomous pics like these?

or

or

This rule is going to put your favorite magazines in a real pinch. Good intentions. Poor execution.

#232564 - 02/11/04 12:36 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
bullshiat...if i catch a wild fish and i want a pic, then im gonna damn well take a quick pic and let it go..

#232565 - 02/11/04 12:42 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
nwmallard Offline
Fry

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Hey -

that top pic was a great picture of Rob Endsley - who by the way - is an awesome steelhead guide!!

JK

#232566 - 02/11/04 01:08 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
Rivernut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

How can we expect the bonk and carry guy to be able to relase a fish unharmed? Does he know any better? Or Just a dumba$$?

I would love to see a guy get ticketed for pulling a fish out of the water for a pic, treating it with total respect.
I will keep releasing nates the way I allways have.

Not everyone out there has commonsense or respect for our wildlife.

The state's on the right track.
Just my 2cen$...NUT
hello

#232567 - 02/11/04 01:17 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
nwmallard Offline
Fry

Okay - the top pic was of Rob Endsley - before it was deleted - who is still an awesome steelhead guide - and who has great respect for these fish!

JK

#232568 - 02/11/04 01:22 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

shhh....from now on fish pics are going to be more like "artists renditions" or something like that...no names.

#232569 - 02/11/04 01:24 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
SnowDog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell
I guess I will only post pics of wild fish I carefully C&R in BC rivers cool

SA

#232570 - 02/11/04 01:25 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

The cover of Next months Salmon, Trout, Steelheader!

#232571 - 02/11/04 01:27 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
I have made my points as to why I was for this regulation on numerous occasions and I believe that I have proved as well as others, that quality fish pics will still be capable.

I will repeat however as to why I was such a large proponent of this regulation.

I know, as well as you, that holding a wild steelhead out of the water for 5 seconds or so (water should still be seen dripping from the fish) for a picture does not hurt the fish. I was a proponent of this regulation because I believed it would force so many who treat our fish poorly before release to be more responsible with the privelage that is awarded to them when they land a wild steelhead.

I was, plain and simple, fed up with the how so many handled wild steelhead on the rivers. And I found a way to do something about it...plus, do not forget, many others sent in similar proposals.

#232572 - 02/11/04 01:34 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
nwmallard Offline
Fry

Sparkey -

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

If we keep using the logic expressed in your latest post - and by this latest law - we'll be finished - as far as recreational angling goes -

Think about it....if holding a fish out of water is bad for some folks ...then hooking and fighting the fish must be bad for some folks...if hooking and fighting the fish is bad....we better not even hook the fish...

I'm not seeing any light at the end of this tunnel except for the one on an Amtrak Train.

My pennies worth -

John Kruse

#232573 - 02/11/04 01:43 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Piper, that is too funny. Very nice.

Hey SteelAddict, would those be from some of the same rivers that have been C&R to sportsmen for decades and also face pressures from downriver commercial and tribal fisheries (Skeena system)? The same ones many of us gladly jump at the chance to fish?

And Sparkey, don't take this ribbing too personal. You put it out there so you should be willing take some flack. Nobody sez you can't get good pics while in the water.

It's just that this ain't a perfect world and we shouldn't try to make rules for every little thing that's wrong with it. C&R vs. C&K is one thing. Pics are another in my book. Pick your battles or you end up unnecessarilly alienating a lot of folks over the minor skirmishes.

Whatever, folks.

IT'S JUST FISHING.

beer

#232574 - 02/11/04 01:47 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by B. Gray:
And Sparkey, don't take this ribbing too personal. You put it out there so you should be willing take some flack.
I am not taking it personal at all. I can handle the flak without a problem...Hell, I've recieved much worse on this BB over the years. laugh

#232576 - 02/11/04 02:03 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

B Gray

That's one beautiful steelhead! Proof that a fish doesn't have to be a 70# hog to make for an impressive CnR photo.

Sparkey

Do not be discouraged... history has shown over and again that every true visionary started his illustrious rise to recognition as a heretic. I know what it is like to be a "lone voice in a vast and empty wilderness".... had a similar experience in securing a slot limit to conserve giant Kenai kings. Keep the faith brother! I'm on your side.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#232577 - 02/11/04 02:05 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

One last post!!...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kanektok Kid:
I think if you can post on this board, you can figure out how to get a good picture with the fish in the water and safely release it . Try it ......you'll like it .
John-
I couldn't agree with you more!! hello

#232578 - 02/11/04 02:15 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Hey, That's the cover shot for the WSC brochure. wink

#232579 - 02/11/04 02:26 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Well, I just have to post some more on this issue...I cant help myself

So many of us take what Smalma says to heart, so I thought I would repost a post of his from over 2 years ago.

I to have used the analogy of keeping fish out of water no longer than I can hold my breath as a guideline for years. However in recently thinking about the validity of that rule I feel it needs to be updated. "Hold the fish out of water no longer than you can hold your breath after running a 6 minute mile" - then would be truly comparable to the fish's situation.
It should be clear to all that restraining a fish for additonal time needed for a picture does increase the stress under which the fish is placed. I certainly under stand the desire for a picture of an exception fish (first fish, true trophy, etc) but do we need pictures of every 10 pound nate caught and released.

For you shutter-bugs why not "focus" on action shots. To me a picture of partner playing a fish with a big-*** grin on his mug, an action shot of fish being released, snow-capped mountains in the background with angler with bend rod in the foreground all do more to capture the day on the river than another "hero shot". Those are the memories that what goes it my mental data bank.

Successful catch and release means doing all that the angler can do to reduce his/her impact on the fish. That may mean foregoing pictures or even intentionally shaking or breaking the fish off instead of bring it completely to hand.

Tight lines

Smalma

#232580 - 02/11/04 09:53 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
Bruce:

You better black out the entire face next time because that beak of yours tells us who it is every time! rolleyes beer

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#232581 - 02/11/04 11:09 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Quote:
Originally posted by nwmallard:

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
Hey, I thought the rod to Hell was paved with Hell bricks? laugh

Heh. 6 seconds rule. Yeah, I mocked that a long time ago. Here, I'll mock that again. laugh

laugh

Ok, I'll stop picking on Sparkey. Just to prove how worthwhile Sparkey's Law will be, I have to show one more photo. This wild fish was abused, held out of the water, dragged on the beach, and suffered much abuse. I do not think this fished lived after being released. If only Sparkey's Law was in existance at the time of this photo, this fish probably had a chance. To this day, I still feel bad about that fish. frown

#232582 - 02/11/04 11:23 AM Re: no more WILD fish pics
Hairlipangler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood
According to a study by MLN (My Left Nut) ,photographing the fish lowers the self esteem of all fish. Somewhere in a spawning bed near you there are bucks on one side, hens on the other. Niether will cross...... further adding to the stress level and dramatically lowering projected returns. HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE LIVE WITH YOURSELVES!!

Yes, I too can enjoy the GL (Guano Level) of this particular topic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |