Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#259357 - 10/28/04 09:42 AM First ever egg curing attempt
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
So I brought home some eggs last weekend because I decided I would try and cure them ( I read about it so much I figured why not try it ).. So I went and got some Pro cure wizard double neon red and followed the instructions along with a few tips from this board.. Thanks Parker. Anyway, after the required two days in the fridge, this is what I got.

there is still some juice in the jars ( thinking this should have been re-absorbed by now ??) Also, They are red indeed but I would not call it double neon red. They are red with a slight brown tint. I cut the skeins in chunks, and they seem to be holding together but wonder how tacky they should be ???

So, is this close to correct or do I have two jars of crap that need thrown away. Is the very slight brown tint due to blood in the skeins??? Anyway, any help would be great as I got a phone call saying I have about three more pounds coming my way this A.M..

Side note... I did this in the kitchen and thought I got it all cleaned up. My wife found several small spots I missed and she is pissed.

#259358 - 10/28/04 10:08 AM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Pro-Cure

Try a different one next time. Thanks for playing. Consolation prizes are by the door. \:D ;\)

#259359 - 10/28/04 10:19 AM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

" Damn it Jim, I am just a fly fisherman... not a doctor !! " \:D

So this is junk that needs thrown away ??? I don't want to ruin anymore, if in fact thay are good for nothing.

#259360 - 10/28/04 10:45 AM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Don't chuck it. Save it for back up. \:\)

#259361 - 10/28/04 10:48 AM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by B-RUN STEELY:
So I went and got some Pro cure wizard double neon red and followed the instructions along with a few tips from this board..

Side note... I did this in the kitchen and thought I got it all cleaned up. My wife found several small spots I missed and she is pissed.
First, tell your wife she does not need to be pi$$ed. Just get some SOFT SCRUB Orange cleaner and it will come off. (I use the same cure (I cured eggs last night too).

The first thing I do after removing the skeins is get those blood vessels out as best I can, even if that means losing a small strip of skein and a few eggs. Some guys squeeze the blood out, but for me it is easier to just carefully snip out the veins with my fillet knife.

This time, I am letting mine sit for long enough to re-absorb the juices that come out during the curing process. Then, they will dry to just the right texture and off to the fridge/freezer they go. Think I'll take 1/2 of these (2 hends worth) and roll them in the Pro Glo Pink after drying and before putting up.

I'll post a pic when done.

Mike

#259362 - 10/28/04 11:32 AM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Pro Cure is a pretty hot cure. If you're using just a straight cure, I'd stick with Pro Glow over Pro Cure.

#259363 - 10/28/04 11:37 AM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

o.k, how about this.. I take them out of the jars.. put them on some paper towels.. put more cure on them and let them air dry before putting them back in the jars. They look fine they just seem a little bit wet to me. I think the idea is for them to be tacky... not asking for any recipes.. just help with a salvage operation.

#259364 - 10/28/04 12:03 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
stlhd_dreaming Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: maine
I agree I dont really care for Pro-Cure at all. I cured up about ten lbs of about 2 weeks ago. I used pro-cure on about 2 lbs and I used a gelatine recipe that I found on this site. Lets just say the pro cure ones didn't have much color to them and I left them curing in the fridge for about 4 days then let them air dry over night.
The gelatin recipe that I used though was outstanding something about the cherry jello. It sticks to the eggs and gives them a really nice color. I find that cure the eggs stay alot longer on the hook as to the pro cure.
But to get back on your question a good idea is if they are 2 wet to your liking roll them in borax they will dry out a bit and should work pretty good also.

#259365 - 10/28/04 12:31 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
Queetsqueef Offline
Returning Adult

Pro cure is fine if you're in a pinch and need to cure eggs quickly. I use natural pro-cure sometimes and just add a hint of color. But if you take pride in curing eggs, find a different recipe

#259366 - 10/28/04 02:23 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
If they are to wet for your liking,then just roll them in borax a few hours before you head out.The egg's seem to be good for a back up like mentioned above.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#259367 - 10/28/04 04:10 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Don't toss those eggs! Just use them as you would any other. Pro-cure may not be the best cure on the market but it is still deadly.

In my view, the various opinions on egg curing are way too strict. I've done alot of things wrong and still end up with reasonably good eggs. Case in point, earlier this fall I acquired a bunch of eggs that were completely bloodshot. The angler didn't bleed his fish and there was blood all through the skiens. I cured them with regular Pro-Cure (not the Wizard). The eggs were dark and not overly appealing to me. But guess what, I landed a bright 19lb buck and lost another in about two hours of fishing on the coast. So, don't fret. Just take'em and go fishing. With practice, you'll get better.

I like Parker's method of curing but I would not cure my eggs in the fridge, particularly when using Scott Amerman's cure. Scott's cure won't work properly unless it's at room temperature. The other commercial egg cures don't seem to have this characteristic.

#259368 - 10/28/04 04:20 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

OUCH...........................

.....the Ultimate Egg Cure team takes a nasty blow to the head........

#259369 - 10/28/04 04:35 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol_on_the_Duc:
OUCH...........................

.....the Ultimate Egg Cure team takes a nasty blow to the head........
You need *much* better bait than that to interest a Parker.....let alone hook one.

Sure hope your eggs are not this bad!

#259370 - 10/28/04 04:57 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Yeah, that was a pretty lame shot in the dark. Your mentor may bite on it this evening, however. Thats one reason I do ok, even without witch doctor Keith's black magic. I've always got a line in the water. ;\)

#259371 - 10/28/04 06:22 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
Led Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Key Peninsula
Pro-cure is definitely "hot" Been real happy with Cure-all Kenai Red.Average around 5 days in the fridge

#259372 - 10/28/04 08:00 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
That jar method is good, i use it alot, but like you said it can leave some or alot of liquid at the bottom that never absorbs. First DON"T put them on paper towels or newspapers after a cure cuz it's almost imposible to get them back off without ripping up the towel/paper. SO if you take them out, strain if you have to for a few minutes. Then put them on a plate, not plastic, and put them in the fridge uncovered, skein side up for 3-24 hours usually 6. They will dry up a bit but the skein will begin to get tacky and leathery but not gooey. Pull them out when they seem to be tough but not hard. This will make the eggs less messy and they will stay on your hook ALOT longer. If they get hard that's ok too, as soon as they hit the water they will soften up a bit. This also prevents really gooey eggs once they come out of the freezer and thaw. Works well.

#259373 - 10/28/04 11:39 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
The_Dead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Des Moines Wa
the eggs may have turned brown if the fish was not bleed properly, i have had the same thing happen with procure. If the fish is bled, procured eggs should turn out great. When i cure with procure though, i dont follow the direction AT ALL, i do something totally differant that i dont care to share with ya'll today. ;\) Good luck!

#259374 - 10/29/04 12:44 AM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
Cures shmures. Use jello and borax.

#259375 - 10/29/04 02:23 AM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
Steel Slayer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia
Has anybody used the pro-cure colored borax? I've use Pro-cure's Red hot double stuff cure with good results before. I found that with the hot cures like pro-cure, pro-glow. Stopping further curing is important. You can do this my putting the eggs into a cooler temperature such as cold fridge or freezer.

#259376 - 10/29/04 08:41 PM Re: First ever egg curing attempt
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Remember, many old timers used and still use nothing but straight borax. And gusse what, it works just fine.

Color of eggs if kind of like what color yarn/corkie to use. It's usually the person's own preference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |