Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#265008 - 12/28/04 10:07 PM Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software
Titanium Cranium Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim
I found this program called USPhotoMaps. It's a program that downloads map images from Microsofts TerraServer. The best thing of all is it's free and it integrates with a GPS. You can load Topo maps, Satellite images, and in some areas color high definition Urban maps (Greater Seattle is covered). There are also a few utilities that can be used with it to help download regional data, obtain landmark data, and elevation data. This is the coolest free software of it's kind I have found yet, and the latest revision is 12-19-2004, very current.

You can locate the areas you want to go to on a topo map, create a waypoint and upload them to your GPS. Fun times with the GPS I got for Christmas!

Here's the link -> >> JDMCOX Software <<

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with JDM Software nor do I obtain any benefit by supplying a link to this site.

#265009 - 12/28/04 10:18 PM Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software
Starfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Richland, WA
I just found that today and was planning to download it tonight. Have you tried uploading the maps to the GPS yet? What model are you using?

#265010 - 12/28/04 10:44 PM Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
great subject. if the maps are windows biitmaps then you can use them in a freeware chart plotter program called seaclear. you can find it at http://www.sping.com

#265011 - 12/28/04 10:49 PM Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software
DeFrag Offline
Fry

Loc: Port Orchard
USAPhotoMaps is rock. I've used it for the last couple years now.

Here's a great freebie to go along with it: EasyGPS . Do yourself a favor & grab it now. In addition, I have State files for it with tons of landmarks, etc. PM & I'll make them available for you.

Degree/Minute/Second Converter is a must have in any GPS toolbox. It converts to/from different formats which REALLY comes in handy when your unit & any programs you like to use together displays in disparate formats.

I've got some other programs for astronomy like Sunrise/Sunset calculators etc.. Just call me Mr. Utility. I'll be happy to answer any questions, search, or try to provide utilities for your use. I don't program anymore but if I ever need anything, I'll download 6 or 7 5-STAR programs, install them all, & throw away all but 1 or 2. Ease of use, small memory footprint, practical, nice standard interface, etc are all requirements I adhere to. Free is good too ;P

Have fun!
><<°>
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/

#265012 - 12/28/04 10:50 PM Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software
Titanium Cranium Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim
So far I don't think you can upload the maps, which is what I was originally after, but you can load the waypoints you develop in the program onto your GPS, and that's half the battle right there. Combine the way points with a laptop and your GPS and this is crazy cool but then I'm a GPS neophyte so what do I know :p

I'd really like to have a full topo of the state in the GPS including elevations so I'll keep looking too.

#265013 - 12/29/04 09:07 AM Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software
Starfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Richland, WA
It's way cool-- thanks for the tips. I wish I could upload the maps themselves but it looks pretty easy to upload the waypoints.

I've noticed that the Lakes and Hotspots maps for Washington are pretty lame-- they only include a few of the lakes I would want (Moses and Roosevelt) and not Potholes, Chelan, or the rivers. I got Bluechart, which is great for the Columbia and Snake, but it overwrites the upper Columbia portions of the basemap on my GPSMap 76CS with a really bad map-- no islands or usable shorelines. I didn't expect to get depth readings for that area since it's not officially navigable (and I already know the depths anyway) but it would be nice to have shorelines for navigating in the fog.

#265014 - 12/30/04 10:35 AM Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software
AJ Hartwell Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
I like QuakeMap - http://www.earthquakemap.com/. It has all the features of the previously listed application but it leverages both the usgs topo database and color aerial maps. It also has built in support for geocaching (http://www.geocaching.com/) if you're in to that.

#265015 - 12/30/04 02:25 PM Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software
DeFrag Offline
Fry

Loc: Port Orchard
Don't forget the cool application NASA World Wind !
><<°>
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/

#265016 - 12/30/04 11:10 PM Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
it can all be done for free using seaclear from http://www.sping.com

if you can get the map up on your screen you can save it using prnt screen. then use seaclear and laptop and gps to put a dot on the map that is you.

you can also photograph paper maps using your digital camera.

get seaclear and read instructions

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |