THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#317420 - 10/26/05 03:01 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Here's a test question for youse guys:

"What's the difference between "under way" and "under power"?

#317421 - 10/26/05 03:09 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
Barbless_ Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Oly
Famous last words, "I have the right of way!!!". \:D

#317422 - 10/26/05 03:12 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
DL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodiville
I am guessing, which is what I do best. Under power means the use of a motor. Under way means not at anchor and with the ability to move if required. Hopefully someone who really knows the answer will chime in.

#317423 - 10/26/05 03:17 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
My wife has no conception of right of way. I wonder how she has survived driving as long as she has. Almost every time we are in the car I have to say something so that she does not A> back into someone, or B> merge right into another car. When I tell her these things she says " I did not see that car because your fat head was blocking my view "

#317424 - 10/26/05 04:33 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
Anonymous
Unregistered

so does anyone else besides me sail... and not feel a bit bad for a fisherman having to give up right of way?

:p :p

besides when you cut the engine suddenly while trolling... guaranteed instant strike!!!!!

#317425 - 10/26/05 05:06 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I typically have the right away, due to the fact that I'm typically out of control....

Keith \:D

#317426 - 10/26/05 05:13 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Quote:
Originally posted by stlhdr1:
I typically have the right away, due to the fact that I'm typically out of control....

People flat out get off the river when they see you barreling down at them!

Right of way? More like "get out of my way".

\:D

#317427 - 10/26/05 05:14 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Especially where there area a few "beverages" involved!!

#317428 - 10/26/05 05:35 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
TYPICALLY? I didn't think your narcissistic pathology would allow you to have such a conservative opinion of yourself, Keith. \:D

#317429 - 10/26/05 10:41 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
B Gray Offline
Smolt

Loc: Bellingham
Slabquest, If the sailboat is OVERTAKING you, yes you are right.
Now the test question, under way and under power.
Under way, but are you making way?. You can be under way, but not making way, wether you are under power or not. So I guess you can be under power and not making way too. Yea, that's the ticket.

#317430 - 10/27/05 01:17 AM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
When I am on the road I am a big believer in the "Lug Nut Rule", which states, "the vehicle with the most lug nuts always wins". I also appyly the lug nut rule principle when out on the water.

#317431 - 10/27/05 01:49 AM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
doc Offline
Fry

Loc: Tacoma
Interesting discussion, as I have been and avid sailboat racer and an avid fisherman for most of my life. Sailboaters do have the right of way over power boats under all but special circumstances as mentioned overtaking and shipping lanes)and they mostly all know it. Most are courteous enough and aware enough to not push that issue around fishermen, and will give trollers a wide berth. Nobody wants to untangle fishing line from their centerboard or prop shaft.

Sailboat racing is another issue as people get pretty serious and want take advantage of every wind shift or current flow as that's how you win races. My guess is that the dinghy in question was in a race and that's why they "pushed it to the limit".
Sailboat racers get pretty hacked at powerboaters who roar through their racecourse, narrowly missing boats and creating wakes that, at least, impede progress, and at worst can actually damage boats. Sounds simple but you would be amazed at the number of times I've seen that happen. My advice is to give racing sailboats a wide berth and everybody stays happy.

As far as setting up a racecourse in an inconvenient location for other boaters, you may have a good point, but remember, in Puget Sound light sailing winds prevail and sailboats literally cannot make progress against a strong current in light air. Because of that Sailboat racecourses must be set in areas relatively protected from current. That may be why courses are set where they are.

I don't claim for a second that sailors always behave courteously or considerately but maybe this will help folks understand a little more about where they're coming from.

#317432 - 10/27/05 02:40 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
Just because one has the right of way, doesn't mean they "should" proceed in a direction or with the intent to cause an accident.

When I'm blackmouth fishing Meadow pt and trying to stay on the contour it can get crazy right in there by the green bouy. I just don't like it when a sailboat is on a tack and refuses to move. If both parties are paying attention and making an attempt to stay out of each other's way, it seems to work out. But that doesn't always happen.

Also, even while non fishing, right in front at Everett, there are sail boats going back and forth inside the breakwater. I've had them change tack and almost take me out. You really have to have good peripheral vision.

#317433 - 10/27/05 04:10 PM Re: Who has the right of way? Sailboat...
Land Tuna Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kirkland Wa USA
As a serious sailor and owner of a 44 bluewater cutter sloop I would say that any sailboat under sail that does not change course when he sees fishermen trolling or bottom fishing is an idiot no matter what the rules say. Even with a boat my size it is not difficult to change course, a lot more easy than forcing the fisherman to pull his gear. Now if there is a planned race course set up I think that the fisherman should realize that by fishing inside the race course he should be aware that he may have to pull his gear as those sailors are out for blood and the faster they get into the club house the faster they get to drink strong gin & tonics!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, 20 Gage), 1435 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |