THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#486051 - 02/08/09 01:08 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: Wooly Bully]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
FnP
Good to finally meet you. Sorry I couldn't stay for the afternoon session.

The Commission is only as good as the information it gets. This Commission has moved well forward of previous Commissions in trying to bring good science into their decision making process. Collectively, they have the knowledge base to get the details out. They can then get staff working towards better management decisions.

Those decisions are not going to be easy and all parties will be impacted to one level or another. You have to start somewhere. It appears the Commission is making that move.

Now, if we don't lose them to some misguided legislation, maybe we see'll science driven resource management.......

#486250 - 02/09/09 05:10 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: bushbear]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

From the other thread:

Originally Posted By: fishNphysician
A few more highlights form today's meeting in Oly.

Cuts to hatchery production could be in the neighborhood of 10%. Anderson spoke about the need for hatcheries to fuel selective fisheries. But he warned that production of fish would only happen to the extent that such fisheries could be adequately managed/assessed/enforced... which takes money. We're simply NOT going to create fish that we don't have the money to adequately M/A/E when it comes time to fish over them.

Sounds like some areas will be hit a bit harder than others as far as the impending hatchery cuts are concerned. The overall reduction statewide is slated for about 10%, but Grays Harbor is reportedly on the chopping block for a whopping 16%!

Ay caramba!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#486251 - 02/09/09 05:41 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The overall reduction statewide is slated for about 10%, but Grays Harbor is reportedly on the chopping block for a whopping 16%!

Ay caramba!

OK that the 16% is the overall reduction to all hatchery production. Again, the proposed cuts will NOT be distributed evenly.

Looks like the entire Wynoochee summer run is on the chopping block. I believe that's what a 100% reduction means.

Coho production is also targeted for a 40% reduction in most of the programs thru-out the basin, with the notable exception of the Hump which is only slated for a 15% reduction.

The fiscal realities of our current economic crisis.

Too bad we didn't just take a little better care of our wild runs. Nothing like natural rivers and their wild spawners making fish for free.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#486255 - 02/09/09 09:11 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: eyeFISH]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Impacts of warming will hit here

Climate Change is already showing detrimental effects to wildlife in coastal regions of the Pacific Northwest, and it could happen on Grays Harbor sooner than first thought unless lawmakers take steps to prevent it, according to Doug Howell, regional executive director of the National Wildlife Foundation.
http://www.thedailyworld.com/articles/2009/02/08/local_news/01news.txt

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#486271 - 02/09/09 11:33 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: ]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
You tell 'em Aunty!

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#486709 - 02/10/09 02:16 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: Phoenix77]
FishBear Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Western Washington
Everyone has there own "take" on this climate change thing.

All I can say is I would not want to own a home or a property that is right near sea level. Say what you will about what climate change is or isn't and what caused it or did not... but the salt water is rising my friends. Those of us in the twilight of our years may not give a hoot. Those that have 40-60 years to live should be VERY concerned.

George W. Bush

#486713 - 02/10/09 02:35 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: FishBear]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
GH is just a part of the larger picture. IMHO, Harvest Management is just getting all they can until the 2012 planet alignment of the Winter solstace...
Time for harvest reform.

#486776 - 02/10/09 05:29 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: ]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I don't think Mr. Cheney was making a false statement, like so many scientists he is not a great communicator. In 2006 and 2007 Vibrio was a serious problem in oysters along the entire Pacific coast. Oyster beds did not suffer mass destruction but production in oyster hatcheries was reduced by about 50%. During the summer of 2007 Hood Canal oysters were put on a do not eat list by the FDA because of the risk to human health caused by the bacteria. For the oyster growers that was the equivalent of mass destruction. It is thought that coastal upwelling promoted conditions for the bacterial outbreak. The link to CO2 absorption (increasing acidity, lower ph) in the ocean and Hood Canal is that at lower ph's oysters are less resistant to bacterial diseases. Ocean acidification is not climate change, they are both linked to increased atmospheric CO2 levels, but the ocean acidification can be measured and is. In the last year off of the Oregon and Washington coast the measured levels were approaching what models predicted would happen 50 years from now. It is a serious problem and will impact all marine life.

#486827 - 02/10/09 07:52 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Looks like the entire Wynoochee summer run is on the chopping block. I believe that's what a 100% reduction means.

Coho production is also targeted for a 40% reduction in most of the programs thru-out the basin, with the notable exception of the Hump which is only slated for a 15% reduction.

Put out a full spread of beautiful perfect baits, and what? Nearly 40 rod hours later and still no bites?

Damn... I must be slippin'.

Maybe I just need to re-arrange those FOLBE rodholders?

Or is it that nobody really cares?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#486842 - 02/10/09 08:23 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Don't know what the Chehalis plan to raise... chinook? coho? chum? steel? all of the above?

But I have serious doubts they will plant enough coho to make up for the proposed 775,000 basin-wide coho cutbacks planned for WDFW hatcheries?

At a 5% SAR (smolt to adult recruitment), that's nearly 40,000 hatchery coho that WON'T be coming home.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#487003 - 02/11/09 10:59 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: ]
Ihookum Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rochester WA
where is the chehalis tribal hatchery located? This is the first I heard of it.

#487060 - 02/11/09 01:08 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: Ihookum]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

i dont think theres been 40,000 coho come back in the chehalis system in yrs..maybe on paper but not in real life..

and them shutting off the summer plant on the nooch is bullshait they dont plant that many anyways im sure they can keep this one going but im sure they wont..

mainly region 6

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (wolverine, No More Ice Fishin, eddie, 1 invisible), 1147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |