Three Rivers Marine

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#490499 - 02/24/09 10:56 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Jason Y]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Talk about thread drift . . .

30 pound steelhead have never been common at any time in recorded history in any part of their range, which is probably why it is so noteworthy when one is caught.

People still fish for steelhead on the Nisqually, but they do it illegally, and if it were as commonplace as some whites think it is among the Tribe and some of the Tribe think it is among the whites, we'd hear more about it from LE. Poaching does occur on almost all the rivers, by treaty and non-treaty fishermen, from what I hear and have seen over the years. But it doesn't occur at a level that would cause it to be the proximate cause preventing steelhead recovery.

The cause of the recent decline was fishing, treaty and non-treaty, taking advantage of a period of high freshwater and marine productivity. The run fell at the same time as the other Puget Sound steelhead runs did in the early 90s. Some recent escapements have been in the 800 range, still a long way from the 2,000 goal.

Coastal comparisons with Puget Sound rivers is mainly instructive in helping us figure out what's is presently limiting Puget Sound recovery. The Hoh steelhead have a better chance at a rapid recovery because coastal steelhead are experiencing generally higher marine survival rates.

Throwing the Dosewallups into this thread is apples and oranges. The Dose, Duck, and Hamma Hamma and some other HC tribs are in a class by themselves. There is no agreement about the proximate cause of decline, but over-fishing is at least a reasonably likely cause. Some of us believe that those HC rivers wild chinook and steelhead, and maybe coho, have been depressed so low that they are below the threshold of any natural rapid recovery. There is a steelhead recovery program presently taking some of those remaining fish into a combination captive broodstock and native hatchery smolt release strategy to maximize the potential to increase those runs to the point where they could recover on their own.

There was a common, if not natural, disaster in that fishery managers have believed they could continue doing what they've always done and get a better result. It hasn't worked.

Sg

#490502 - 02/24/09 11:01 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Todd]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
good god! that is sad

#490530 - 02/24/09 11:53 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: big moby]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
SG,
Thanks for the info on the Nisqually steelhead numbers. I'll admit I kept some fish out of both the Nisqually and HC streams in my younger years.
I recall talking to the GW about a a guy he busted on the Hamma Hamma with 12 steelhead in possession. That was in the late 70's.

Anyway, I'm sorry to have sidetracked the thread by bring up the Nisqually. Hopefully we can educate folks on the value of having wild steelhead runs in all our rivers.

#490532 - 02/25/09 12:00 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: stonefish]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: stonefish
Hopefully we can educate folks on the value of having wild steelhead runs in all our rivers.

Given the tone of the responses to a similar thread I posted on Ifish, I see little "hope" of changing the general attitude about wild fish conservation.

It's legal... let's kill 'em... it's all good.

Good God.... the fish don't stand a chance.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#490534 - 02/25/09 12:13 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: eyeFISH]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I hear you on that Doc. Lets hope those with the whack em and stack em mentality because it is legal stay south of us.

#490546 - 02/25/09 12:39 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: stonefish]
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Doin' my part...

These are in need of updating but these charts tell the story of the downward trend, unless we have the fortitude and desire to step up and say enough is enough and create the changes needed.

http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/Repository/WSC_ESU%201_Charts%202006.pdf

Look at the Hoh, it has not made it's escapement in 4 of the last 6 years, but we are still allowing intense recreational and tribal harvest for wild steelhead! It maybe down to one per year, but the increase on the fishing pressure of the west end stream is becoming more and more crowded with a mentality of getting mine first that are putting the fish at risk. Unless we change and work to protect what we have.

http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/Repository/WSC_ESU%202_Charts%202006.pdf

#490548 - 02/25/09 12:42 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: stonefish]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Though, I fully practice and support catch and release of all wild steelhead. The problem that remains for other anglers and guides is the thought of one less fish thrown in a hole by the nations.

It gets a little frustrating when letting that bright cromo hen go, then a few minutes later watch a guy run a drift net through the hole you had just or are fishing.

#490559 - 02/25/09 01:13 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: fishbreath]
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
Originally Posted By: fishbreath
"The Nisqually has a healthy run and we aren't going to let anything happen to it".

Sounds familiar. They said that about all the PS streams and they're saying it about the forks area rivers now.

#490568 - 02/25/09 01:45 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: cupo]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
The grass is always greener on the other side huh. I don't know whether to keep pressing the same issue over and over again or just throw my hands up quit. It seems people are doomed to repeat the mistakes that were made by our previous generations. We know no other way to learn than the hard way.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#490644 - 02/25/09 11:50 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Pugnacious]
Brant Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Read the "King of Fish" is you want to hear about repeating the mistakes of the previous generations. The book is all about the collapse of various fisheries. Pretty sad.

#490689 - 02/25/09 02:00 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Brant]
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Originally Posted By: Brant
Read the "King of Fish" is you want to hear about repeating the mistakes of the previous generations. The book is all about the collapse of various fisheries. Pretty sad.

Good Book! David Montgomery authored this most excellent and informative source for information related to the issues and World history of the Salmon!

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#490701 - 02/25/09 02:33 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Salmo g.]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Talk about thread drift . . .

30 pound steelhead have never been common at any time in recorded history in any part of their range, which is probably why it is so noteworthy when one is caught.

People still fish for steelhead on the Nisqually, but they do it illegally, and if it were as commonplace as some whites think it is among the Tribe and some of the Tribe think it is among the whites, we'd hear more about it from LE. Poaching does occur on almost all the rivers, by treaty and non-treaty fishermen, from what I hear and have seen over the years. But it doesn't occur at a level that would cause it to be the proximate cause preventing steelhead recovery.

The cause of the recent decline was fishing, treaty and non-treaty, taking advantage of a period of high freshwater and marine productivity. The run fell at the same time as the other Puget Sound steelhead runs did in the early 90s. Some recent escapements have been in the 800 range, still a long way from the 2,000 goal.

Coastal comparisons with Puget Sound rivers is mainly instructive in helping us figure out what's is presently limiting Puget Sound recovery. The Hoh steelhead have a better chance at a rapid recovery because coastal steelhead are experiencing generally higher marine survival rates.

Throwing the Dosewallups into this thread is apples and oranges. The Dose, Duck, and Hamma Hamma and some other HC tribs are in a class by themselves. There is no agreement about the proximate cause of decline, but over-fishing is at least a reasonably likely cause. Some of us believe that those HC rivers wild chinook and steelhead, and maybe coho, have been depressed so low that they are below the threshold of any natural rapid recovery. There is a steelhead recovery program presently taking some of those remaining fish into a combination captive broodstock and native hatchery smolt release strategy to maximize the potential to increase those runs to the point where they could recover on their own.

There was a common, if not natural, disaster in that fishery managers have believed they could continue doing what they've always done and get a better result. It hasn't worked.

Sg

SG
I figured that if the Nisqually way fair game in this thread. No reason, the Doseywallips should not be brought up. It has the appearance of pristine natural habitat.

Based on what I observed, there should be steelhead in every hole. It is a awesome little river. After the “generally accepted” comment on the Nisqually I thought perhaps there was an theory on the Dosewallips as well. I appricate your feedback, on the Dosey comment.

Back to the original post, I had a gut ache for two days thinking about the fact that a tremendous specimen of a fish was killed. It still makes me angry, I know it was his “right” and it was legal. However it still pisses me off.

The thread could have gone south in a hurry

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#490952 - 02/26/09 01:03 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Jason Y]
Wooly Bully Offline
Spawner

Loc: NE Seattle
Bleeder? [censored]! it's complete BS that the fish was bonked but IMHO the anger and outrage should fall squarley on wdfw for ignoring the situation on the Hoh and allowing the wild retention to continue.
THEY ARE THE moron idiot stupid retard dumbass loser asshole fool dumb jerk jackass imbecile douchebag retarded fag fucktard tool dipshit ass dickhead douche dork bitch gay tard faggot [censored] dolt dummy dick wanker twat [censored] prick bush noob ignorant [censored] douche bag asshat nerd annoying shithead dumb ass george w. bush bastard [censored] cretin clueless simpleton posers that will not grow a spine and force the Hoh tribe to face the reality of the situation.

The International Game Fish Association should be deluged with letters demanding thet they stop keeping records for wild steel. It seems that this potential world record might have been a pretty strong motivator for English Pete's descision to kill it.

#490955 - 02/26/09 01:13 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Wooly Bully]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Wooly Bully

The International Game Fish Association should be deluged with letters demanding thet they stop keeping records for wild steel. It seems that this potential world record might have been a pretty strong motivator for English Pete's descision to kill it.

Now that might be the best post to come out of either of these threads...I'll look into it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#490971 - 02/26/09 07:25 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Todd]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Originally Posted By: Todd
Originally Posted By: Wooly Bully

Now that might be the best post to come out of either of these threads...I'll look into it.

Fish on...

Todd

+10
Now we're getting somewhere.!!!

#491002 - 02/26/09 11:06 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: RognSue]
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Great idea Wooly!

#491052 - 02/26/09 01:12 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Note: I couldn't tell if the photos of the Hoh fish in the "rest of the story" thread could be viewed or not. I got third or fourth hand email with the photos as attachments. Having not figured out how to post pics yet, I'll email them to anyone who wants them and maybe post them up.

One photo does show the fish bleeding. Not to judge, but I saw a nice steelhead hooked on a tight swung fly on the Skagit two years ago that got the hook partially into a gill arch. So bleeders are possible on the swung fly. The Skagit fish was released, and I'd guess a 50:50 chance of surviving. Such wounds are sometimes survivable.

Sg

#491076 - 02/26/09 01:55 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Salmo g.]
fishhog Offline
Spawner

Loc: Whatcom
These photos will not appear on this site, thanks.

Edited by Bob (02/27/09 08:06 AM)

#491081 - 02/26/09 02:05 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: fishhog]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Wow...

How awesome...

beathead

#491095 - 02/26/09 02:41 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: fishhog]
Satan Offline
I love me

Loc: Around the way
[quote=fishhog]Here's some of the pics

LAME

Edited by Bob (02/27/09 08:07 AM)

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1428 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |