Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#489634 - 02/22/09 12:08 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: outfishn]
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
I'm certainly not a fish expert, but have heard that almost all repeat spawners are females because the males beat themselves up so much fighting other males for mating rights to survive after the spawn.

All the spawnouts I've hooked have been females.

I'm guessing that fish missed his chance to pass on some great genetics.

Sad~

#489635 - 02/22/09 12:08 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: outfishn]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
99.9% odds that this was the first spawning run for a fish of that size.

Repeat spawners (which are nearly all female) typically are not much larger on their subsequent runs ... but can carry up to 30% more eggs (egg carrying capacity is known as fecundicity).

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#489639 - 02/22/09 12:22 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Bob]
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak
gay!

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#489640 - 02/22/09 12:26 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Bob]
Redside Offline
Smolt

Loc: Poulsbo, WA
Some of you are saying it may have been a bleeder. No way! The chance of a guy flyfishing and having a bleeder is MUCH lower. Almost impossible if the guy was swinging flies. If he was fishing flies below an indicator there is a very small chance of the fish getting the fly down deep in his gills.

There is no way this was a bleeder.

What a shame!

Take a picture and let the fish reproduce on our vanishing O.P. Rivers!

Just as he shouldn't give a bad name to PT folks, I am pissed as a fellow fly fisher that this %^&*^%^* killed this fish.

Plain and simple this is a SELFISH and IGNORANT fisherman!

#489641 - 02/22/09 12:27 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: OPfisher]
Strike Rite Offline
Smolt

Loc: OP
The guy claimed he was unaware that reproduction mounts could be made from color photographs. Funny that after having surfaced for five or six years, such conservative alternatives were unknown. What a waste; thousands of years of evolution, ceased to sit upon a mantle or shelf.

#489643 - 02/22/09 12:30 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: OPfisher]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

That really makes me sick to hear this! How can we get this law changed to CR on all native Steelhead in Wash? Bob? Doc? anyone? This [censored] has got to stop ASAP!!!!!

- Albert Einstein.

#489644 - 02/22/09 12:31 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: BrianL]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: BrianL

I'm guessing that fish missed his chance to pass on some great genetics.

'Nuff said!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#489645 - 02/22/09 12:31 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Redside]
shawn k Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Redside
Some of you are saying it may have been a bleeder. No way! The chance of a guy flyfishing and having a bleeder is MUCH lower. Almost impossible if the guy was swinging flies. If he was fishing flies below an indicator there is a very small chance of the fish getting the fly down deep in his gills.

There is no way this was a bleeder.

What a shame!

Take a picture and let the fish reproduce on our vanishing O.P. Rivers!

Just as he shouldn't give a bad name to PT folks, I am pissed as a fellow fly fisher that this %^&*^%^* killed this fish.

Plain and simple this is a SELFISH and IGNORANT fisherman!

a deeply swallowed tuble fly or a fly with a stinger hook will hook a fish in the tongueor in the gills. i had it happen to a couple of fish on the Dean about ten years ago.
i cant untderstand for the life of me why the whole HOH riverisn't under selective gear rules and C&R. There is no way we should be allowed to kill any wild steelhead.

Edited by shawn k (02/22/09 12:35 AM)

#489647 - 02/22/09 12:35 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: shawn k]
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak
cut the fly off and give the fish a chance. Anyone want to tell the most sentamental fisherman that has every lure he's hooked a memorable fish on hanging on my desk how its not ok to give any native steelhead a chance>?

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#489648 - 02/22/09 12:39 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Bob]
outfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Bob
99.9% odds that this was the first spawning run for a fish of that size.

Repeat spawners (which are nearly all female) typically are not much larger on their subsequent runs ... but can carry up to 30% more eggs (egg carrying capacity is known as fecundicity).

interesting. didn't know that. I guess I was assuming the larger the fish the more spawns likely. I've often read comments like "three-salt...etc" for larger fish. It's interesting biologically since it would suggest females have an advantage passing on it's genetics unless it were offset somehow.

#489652 - 02/22/09 01:17 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: outfishn]
LoweDown Offline
Conquistador

Loc: Forks, WA
ok i wished to avoid associating myself with this event, but some outlandish ideas expressed here have forced me to chime in.

the fish was caught by an unguided BANK ANGLER. originally from England, and yes it was his first ever steelhead. swinging a fly. it was hooked in the lip. i rounded the corner above where it was caught just in time to see the guy bashing it on the head w/ a rock.

i'm not sure who the Port Townsend references were aimed at, but if it's Jim Kerr you couldn't be more wrong. You could be less presumptuous and considerably more informed. Jim is a good friend of mine, and strongly supports WSR, to the tune of killing ZERO wild fish last year. Also, he lives here in Forks.

I weighed the fish out of morbid curiosity. It hung my spring scale to over 30 but under 31 pounds. my slightly beat up but originally 30 lb anchor weighed in at 29 lbs for comparitive purposes.

some photos exist. i'd like to get Bob's opinion on the posting of them before doing so.

for the record i support WSR and this whole thing really bummed me out.

#489653 - 02/22/09 01:18 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: LoweDown]
LoweDown Offline
Conquistador

Loc: Forks, WA
also, it was not a bleeder.

#489655 - 02/22/09 01:48 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: LoweDown]
floatinghat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Seattle

This just freak'n ruined my weekend.

#489659 - 02/22/09 02:29 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: floatinghat]
dbl spey Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle, wa
I'll pray that bad karma crap like whacking a 30lb native is the fast path to get a$$ cancer...

#489661 - 02/22/09 03:28 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: dbl spey]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
If it is then there will be more than one person running around with ass cancer. There was more than one plus sized fish wacked over the weekend, guaranteed. Guys, the regs have to change...... If they don't, we all need to stop bitch'n now...

#489667 - 02/22/09 08:11 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: dbl spey]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
Originally Posted By: dbl spey
I'll pray that bad karma crap like whacking a 30lb native is the fast path to get a$$ cancer...
christ, some of you people just need to get a life.

it's a damned shame that a fish like that isn't still in the river, but the posts in this thread are starting to remind me of the idiotic comments on youtube hunting videos.

Edited by Chum Man (02/22/09 08:11 AM)

#489668 - 02/22/09 08:26 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Chum Man]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I think you have a good point, CM. The rookie probably was thrilled to death, as well he should be. No need to bash him as a knowledgeable local. Had he known better, he may well have released the fish.

#489672 - 02/22/09 09:32 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Neal M]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Neal M
I understand there were guys down at Barlows chasing fish around in the river.... Keeping them in the hole so they could feesh for them.... Please give us some rain. It's starting to remind me of salmon season.

Always How Never Where!

#489676 - 02/22/09 10:41 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: RUNnGUN]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
brewer completely concures on the regulation change. what sickens me is how many still go out and target nates period. the steelhead season should close statewide on say jan.15 and not reopen till may 1st. being a true nate purists as i am i don't even wet a line during nate season. a self imposed nate steelhead vast. a cleansing. nate abstinance is a great terminology. however i will eat my frozen fish. got several packages left of my "november springers"

i personally belive this was a multispawner. say at least 3 runs. as for the size not so much genetics but simply age made this fish 30 lbs. just as in mother nature, big bulls come from mature aged elk. big bucks come from mature aged deer.

#489677 - 02/22/09 10:51 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Neal M]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Neal M
I understand there were guys down at Barlows chasing fish around in the river.... Keeping them in the hole so they could feesh for them....

Is Barlow's on the Skok? fridge

Originally Posted By: dbl spey

A bit extreme, don't you think?
He probably checked his regs like a good boy before he went fishing, not that it's ok, but just sayin'. I'd save that caliber of comment for the ones that get bonked in a guide's boat. (ps. it happens)

The stupid newspaper fishing report last Thursday said the Hoh fish checkers counted more than 5 natives KEPT.

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (Carcassman, stonefish, steely slammer, wolverine), 1182 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |