Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#491104 - 02/26/09 03:11 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Satan]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
What an amazing specimen!!

How sad the retard killed it!!

In the lower pic you can see ripped gills hanging out..That was a survivor..Its hooked in the freekin nose for shiit sake!!!

#491106 - 02/26/09 03:14 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Timber]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

Musta had a rough journey upstream.
Looks like he bashed his head on the rocks trying to reach the spawning grounds....

Edited by Bob (02/27/09 08:07 AM)

#491117 - 02/26/09 03:33 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: ]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

I often wonder what makes this disgusting.....

And this acceptable.....

#491123 - 02/26/09 03:58 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Salmonella]
charr Offline
Spawner

Loc: Yuppie Ville
What a magnificent fish! It breaks my heart knowing that it's dead.
I don't know how anyone could justify killing it even if it was his first.
Saying it was a bleeder is a crock! The fly is clearly in the lip.
Sooooo sad!

#491137 - 02/26/09 04:51 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: charr]
FLGator Offline
Parr

Loc: Liberty Lake WA
My guess would be that the fish was bleeding from the gills as a direct result of the way it was handled, not from the hook.

#491143 - 02/26/09 05:23 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: FLGator]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
I've heard that sometimes when you bash their heads with rocks then rip their gills out...

...they bleed.

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#491149 - 02/26/09 05:37 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: hohbomb73]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: hohbomb73
I've heard that sometimes when you bash their heads with rocks then rip their gills out...

...they bleed.

You can't believe everything that Superfly says.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#491150 - 02/26/09 05:39 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: FLGator]
Metalicious Offline
sneaky I am not :)

Much of the banter on this issue has been emotionally inspired, as steelheaders we are passionate about "our" fish. From a logical standpoint, there was NO reason to kill this fish for a trophy mount. Dave Campbell, among other talented artists currently have molded replicas of the EXACT dimensions of that fish. That fact he was not aware of available replicas in that size range when he put the tape measure on it only speaks to his immaturity as a steelheader. I surmise it was bonked before the tape measure was even extracted. Based on his tale about bonking it because it was bleeding from the gills, after a 45 minute battle, while posting photos with the fly visible firmly tucked in the fishes lips..............?

BS.

You're a liar, Pete. May God have mercy on your soul. From the looks of your photo you're going to meet him SOON!

#491158 - 02/26/09 06:27 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Metalicious]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
Bonky woulda had a better defense if he'da stuck with the "it's my legal right" argument (as lame as that is), instead of making up some bull$hit story that many of us know FOR A FACT isn't true...

Dear Bonky: You coulda been just an ill-informed fisherman (or some such nonsense), but now the whole interweb world knows you are an a$$hole and a liar. You deserve every page of this...

Enjoy your trophy, dickhea.d...

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#491159 - 02/26/09 06:28 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Metalicious]
fishhog Offline
Spawner

Loc: Whatcom
I had an opportunity to fish an extra day on the Hoh last spring with a Guide.
He says, would it be OK if one of my buddies tags along? Sure, a little company would be great. Oh but there's more.

I had one take me into the wood first cast of the day and that was it.
My boatmate mentiones he'd like to take a fish home. Hmmmmm Ok with me I think.
Then he ties into a nice big buck, lands it and straightens it's eyes out with a rock. W T F !!!!! Needless to say, it was a rather quiet boat ride the rest of the way down.

Threw it on a scale when we got back and it weighed 20#. Granted, it was a legal fish for him to keep, no question. BUT...... Just because its legal, doesn't make it right!!!!!

#491167 - 02/26/09 07:14 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: hohbomb73]
Barbless_ Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Oly
Unbe[sensored]lievable. Someone who would post that on the internet with their face uncesensored... makes you really believe that this dipshit really doesn't know any better. Go back to England you old British Fag.

#491175 - 02/26/09 07:50 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: ]
GoneFission Offline
Alevin

Loc: Tri-Cities
Originally Posted By: bankwalker
Originally Posted By: OPfisher
I dont know the regs in the UK but if I went over there and caught one of the biggest chalk stream trout they had ever seen, I still wouldnt club it... regardless of if I thought it was the norm or not.

i think that is more to do with culture then it has to do with the fish.
90% fo the english, russian, etc etc etc keep 90% of the fish they catch. they do it for food and NOT sport. like alot of americans do.

so for one of us to go over to another country and C&R imo is alot different. we, at least in the northwest know how important C&R is to our sport. and we also know how badly our beloved wdfw manage our resources and the impacts of keeping all the fish we catch weather they be hatchery or natives.

when someone comes from another country to fish in my mind they are fishing for food. alot of them read the regs and keep what they read is legal to keep. i hold no fault in the fisherman if that is the case.

even with hatchery fish. if we were to keep every single hatchery fish we catch then hatcheries wouldnt make thier quota's and we would be in the same boat with very low escapement of hatchery fish. which is the case alot of times anyway with very poor returns.

the main fix for any problem we have with natives or anything in this state when it comes to wildlife is that we need people in charge that can actually manage our resources.

I'd like to take this line of thought a bit further; let me step on this here soap box...

Those who live and breathe on internet fishing boards and post away on threads like this don't really live in the real world. They take for granted the concepts that are preached and pounded into the collective conciousness of the PP membership--one of those being the notion that native fish have intrinsic value above and beyond the dinner table. The general public has absolutely no concept of this, and the general fishing public is only a little better. Thanks goodness the Northwest salmon/steelhead fishing community knows better... Oops--our apparant "truth" about the unmistakable value of native steelhead is not even close to understood (or at least practiced) in our own backyard.

From the WDFW weekender report:

" Cooper said that during these conditions anglers tend to fish the Hoh River, where a Feb. 13-15 creel check showed that 200 anglers on the lower portion came up with 32 hatchery steelhead and 30 wild (eight released). During the same time period, 33 anglers fishing the Sol Duc caught three hatchery steelhead and 9 wild (two released)."

Roughly 75% of steelhead anglers are exercising their right to keep native steelhead. Apparantly, most of the WA state licensed anglers have not been educated at the University of Piscatorial Pursuits. If the native steelhead philosophy asserted by the moral majority on this thread is not placed within the context of sound science and filtered of its emotional attacks, it is little better than cult mentality.

Also, in the fairy-tail world of a steelhead lifer, wouldn't there be rivers capable of supporting harvestable numbers of wild steelhead? Not saying that we're anywhere near there, but if that's not what we all want, then what exactly is it that a steelhead lifer dreams about? Are we not angered by the kill of this unique fish most of all because we'd like the opportunity to catch one ourselves (or for our children)? If the answer to that is yes, then our motives are selfish as well--albeit much less so--but certianly not beyond reproach. Unless you're one of those that is most angered because fish are meant to swim entirely unmolested in rivers (translte to PETA), you're guilty of exploiting the resource--I know I am.

My point is that we speak of native steelhead retention like it's a despicable act--no matter what the context--yet under better circumstances, wouldn't we all like to have such an option? I'm a lifer for sure, and that's what I dream about, but until the numbers support the dream, I'll keep on pardoning the natives that find their way onto the end of my line. In fact, before I knew the scientific differences between hatchery and wild fish (a nuance that science is still trying to fully unravel) I used to let lots of brats go too, mostly because whether born over gravel or concrete, just beating the odds and making it back home is worthy of respect, and for that, it was fun to watch them swim away.

-GF

#491189 - 02/26/09 08:25 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: GoneFission]
bugrod Offline
Egg

Adding my two cents

Though I prefer that this fish would have been released and my take is that the bleeding from the gills was a direct result from the fish being lifted by the gill plates ( that is a lot of weight to support). I can only bitch a little about it because the angler was with in his legal rights to harvest that fish. What really bothers me is the fact that if we remove the right to harvest native steelhead from that river by the sport angler, the sport portion of the "harvestable" fish by treaty rights would be harvestable by the native americans ( and would be). So even if we choose to do what we (sport angler) can the boost the native steelhead by mandating release, we and the fish are still screwed.

Edited by bugrod (02/26/09 08:27 PM)

#491193 - 02/26/09 08:41 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: bugrod]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I think it's a valid point that some folks have no idea how valuable a wild fish is to the future of our sport, or how badly treated the Hoh run is in particular...but the fact that the dude felt the need to lie about it being a bleeder shows that he knows damn well it wasn't cool, but did it anyway.

He did it to have his name in the books, period. I hope his dick doesn't fall off from stroking himself too hard.

On a related note, I contacted the IGFA today about the procedures for recommending the removal of a fish from the list of potential records...haven't heard back.

I sure hope I do hear back soon, and a bunch of letters/emails from concerned citizens around here will help. I'll let you all know.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#491196 - 02/26/09 08:47 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: RUNnGUN]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
If you thought killing that fish was sick, I just read "his" post on another board where "he" didn't have a spot to store it and after 4-days feed it to his dogs....

#491197 - 02/26/09 08:49 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Todd]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Justr because something is legal doesn't make it right. Just because WDFW and the Tribes say there is a "harvestable" number doesn't make it so.

What were the salmon and steelhead runs like in 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s? In every case, those resposnible for the resource told us therer were harcestable fish. If this wewre true, why are the runs continuing to decline? I know habitat is a problem but the Columbia was overfished before dam 1 was built.

If habitat was such a huge problem, why are Puget Sound cutthroat and char showing nice population rebounds. They spend yttheir whole lives in eoither a PS river or the Sound itself.

The ocean is the problem, you say. The pinks and chum should be crashing. If we want stromng populations of wild anadromous salmonids into the future we have to simply stop killing them. Wuth better habitat protection, where it exists, and restoration where it is logical, we ban get back to some pretty strong runs. To keep them that way kill will have to severely limited.

#491198 - 02/26/09 08:50 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Capt Downriggin']
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
CDR, that thread is a joke...unless you already knew that. That fish was caught on the Kispiox this fall, and the dude took 61 photos before releasing it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#491199 - 02/26/09 08:52 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Todd]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Gotcha... That's what happens when you're away for too long...

#491204 - 02/26/09 09:11 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Capt Downriggin']
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: Capt Downriggin'
If you thought killing that fish was sick, I just read "his" post on another board where "he" didn't have a spot to store it and after 4-days feed it to his dogs....

You're joking right ?

- Albert Einstein.

#491214 - 02/26/09 09:29 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Sol Duc]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Saw it with my own two eyes... Unless you're referring to me not knowing about the joke...

Still posted.. I guess someone just wanted to stir the pot.. Had me going!

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1382 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |