THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#509244 - 05/18/09 09:05 PM Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Buddy called me today about a hair-raising tale of one bold and brazen Steller sea lion that stole a 25# halibut right off of his cutting table while filleting the fish! And with half of the meat still unrecovered from the carcass! Steller came clean out of the water to snatch it... good thing someone's hands weren't in the wrong place!

FYI the number branded on the beast is #105. I suspect it was marked as part of the Columbia River sea lion project.

Another fur bag was on the scene as well... a Cali marked #1028. Probably another CR deliquent.

Fish checker had a story about one stolen right out the back of somebody's transom Igloo while he was busy maneuvering the boat. Apparently the big halibut's exposed tail was enough of a dinner bell to attract the thief.

It's only a matter of time before some one gets hurt in one of these incidents. These things have no fear of man, and have come to associate Homo sapiens with a free lunch!

Anyone else got a story to tell? Any numbers to help us track down the worst offenders?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#509252 - 05/18/09 09:45 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: eyeFISH]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
I got a .45 that will help track the one that tries that on my boat .. . Trespasser will be shot !!

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#509256 - 05/18/09 09:50 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: FishRanger]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
My most memorable one was the poodle on the Neah Bay dock. Leash and all about 5 years ago.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#509263 - 05/18/09 10:20 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Dogfish]
FlyingAce Offline
Alevin

Loc: Spokane, WA
There was a post on Salmon University fishing reports about a sea lion that jumped onto the dock and snatched a Halibut off of a cleaning table. Definitely hazard.

#509285 - 05/18/09 11:33 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: eyeFISH]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Un-fricken-believable!

#509315 - 05/19/09 12:31 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Eric]
tinmanxx Offline
Fry

Loc: United States
They are getting pretty aggresive at westport this year. The fish checker has been checking all mine in the boat this year and had one trying to climb in. The problem is the fish being cleaned on the dock or the carcases thrown in after the fish checker measures them. If there was no food they wouldn't be a problem. I leave mine whole then feed the remains to the coyotes and bald eagles in the field. They love me.

#509347 - 05/19/09 04:02 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: eyeFISH]
ROCK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Between 2 Mountains
Originally Posted By: fishNphysician
Buddy called me today about a hair-raising tale of one bold and brazen Steller sea lion that stole a 25# halibut right off of his cutting table while filleting the fish! And with half of the meat still unrecovered from the carcass! Steller came clean out of the water to snatch it... good thing someone's hands weren't in the wrong place!

It's only a matter of time before some one gets hurt in one of these incidents. These things have no fear of man, and have come to associate Homo sapiens with a free lunch!

Anyone else got a story to tell? Any numbers to help us track down the worst offenders?

Well Doc the story is true!! Here goes .....After reeling up 700+ feet all day and not getting any big guys to bite I just take the next fish between 25 -30 lbs .We arrive at the launch to clean the boat and fish and while docking a sea lion greats us NO BIGGIE to me.Went to get table in truck and set it up next to the boat leaving about a foot of dock space.Pulled out two halibut and set them on the table. Terry and I start to clean them.I finished one side and turned over to cut down the lateral line from the tail to the head and my fish starts sliding off the table CRAP!so I grab the head and see why it was sliding off... M***&^%$#R came up on that 1 foot of dock space bit the tail and started sliding back in the water.Now at 6' 240lbs I ain't a small dude so the tug-a-war was on!!! Thought just maybe the tail would come off but no I couldn't get that lucky.As the fish continues to head toward the water so am I and I ain't about to get wet so once the fish is completely off the table I let go and say you win and a few other choice words.Sucker came back and started barking at us for more after it finished my halibut.

So yea I still have all my fingers one dime size scar on hand from the table and half a halibut.

Here is the culprit

#509348 - 05/19/09 04:11 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: ROCK]
ROCK Offline
Returning Adult

To answer your question ....Hazard all the way!!!

Do bad they are a protected species shoot whistle

I hope this is the same story you heard Doc and not another one.

#509350 - 05/19/09 04:29 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: ROCK]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Nope... my story was another unique episode.

Buddy came in with FOUR halibut but only left the marina with 3 - 1/2.

Same scenario, though... portable dockside cleaning table whipped out after a long day on the water.... and an unwanted furbag thinking a place-setting was put out just for his main course.

I notice your furbag has no unique identifier branded to his hide.

Got a call out to the Westport harbormaster who is both a friend and patient.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#509351 - 05/19/09 04:46 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: eyeFISH]
ROCK Offline
Returning Adult

My story is the same one on Salmon University.

Todd Girtz called the harbormaster and WDFW and complained.Todd told my buddy one of them said can't do anything till someone gets hurt WTF rolleyes

Told the same story to Steve Ng Sat at LaPush the look he gave me.. Stunned!!

I just have to ask Ya all PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE SEALIONS!!!

Edited by ROCK (05/19/09 04:53 AM)

#509364 - 05/19/09 09:33 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: ROCK]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
I still say, if the Indians insist on their right to fish, because of their deeply held ancient beliefs and ceremonies, then they should be required to follow all their ancient rites. I.e., all Indian from this area in the past were buried in seal/sealion skins. I think they should be held to this practice, or give up their rights, because of their ceremonial rites to catch fish from depleted fish runs.

Edited by Phoenix77 (05/19/09 10:11 AM)

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#509386 - 05/19/09 11:44 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Phoenix77]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Maybe it is time to make a few cardboard cut-outs and casually wait with a baseball bat. Bruises wouldnt be visable and it might even be fun. I would probably buy a halibut just for the chance to extract some revenge for my several lost fish over the years.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#509407 - 05/19/09 12:27 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: JTD]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Big time Hazard.I had two coho ripped out of my hands while dipping them in the boat basin for a quick rinse down in Hammond a few years back.I could have lost my hand.I bought and installed a wash down after that situation.I alway's think of that morning every time I see the doc releasing kings out in the harbor as he's leaning over the boat,it's only a matter of time some one get's hurt during the glory shot.Clean your catch up @ the cleaning dock or in your boat and use a wash down.The day one of those fur bag's enters the boat for a meal it's game on and self defense.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#509418 - 05/19/09 12:54 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I used to bleed my coho on a short rope between the motors until one stuck his head right next to the spinning prop and ripped a nice one off the rope. Even though there has been a lot of sea lions around for decades they were never an issue for me so my thinking is the food supply is dwindling making them more desperate.

#509443 - 05/19/09 01:54 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: stlhead]
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

My only comment is kill the bastards. They've become way too habituated to human's and it needs to stop. I bet if we could shoot a few of them this crap would stop. I don't think they like seeing their buddies being killed.

#509446 - 05/19/09 02:08 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Hoghunter]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

That'd work on fishermen too.

#509456 - 05/19/09 03:10 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Dogfish]
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
My most memorable one was the poodle on the Neah Bay dock. Leash and all about 5 years ago.

I think that year, one tried grabbing a little yapper-dog off of a moving boat too. Crazy.

+1 for hazard. A shy black bear is spotted in a residential neiborhood in north seattle sniffing at trash and whole team of Wildlife enforcment officers is dispatched. Sealions snatch pets and directly threaten humans in busy coastal marinas and nothing is done. confused What's it going to take? Ol' Hershel to get a hold of a kid? That bear didn't.

#509482 - 05/19/09 04:54 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: eyeFISH]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
A few years ago I was casting plugs for the fall coho near the Islander. Hooked a fish and this big, scary Califonian sent a chill up my spine. He knocked the fish off my line, and hopped up on the dock my way.
I drew my side arm and he never took it to the next level.
Didn't hook another fish there.

It's not normal to have to worry about these critters in the boat basin.
The Coast Guard asks if I have any weapons aboard... Kind of like the Grey Poupon commercial, "But, of course!"

#509487 - 05/19/09 05:43 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: Hankster
Hazard, nuisance, aggravation; all are accurate. They've completely taken over an entire dock at Pier 39 here.

Everybody except the people that would like to rent out those dock spaces think they're SOOOO cute.

They have about ruined the docks--- maybe the public can put the money up to rebuild them.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#509497 - 05/19/09 06:22 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
R W B Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Graham, Washington
So I have contacted Coast Guard, Harbor Master and then NOAA and their person sent me this link.

"I have attached a couple of documents that you can review on how to deter pinnipeds and what deterrence methods are legal. I would suggest getting in touch with Special Agent Mickey Adkins if you have additional questions or concerns, he is aware of the issues in the Westport Marina and is working with our office on how to solve some of the problems people are experiencing. Mickey can be contacted at mickey.adkins@noaa.gov or can be reached at his office, 360-268-6239."

I suggest we give them the word repeatedly on this crap before someone is injured!

The one that stole our fish was the same black Stellar ROCK has the image of. It happened on Float 5 near the end where there were kids and others crabbing. I can't say for sure the number was 105 because I was never able to see that myself. I do know it's Cali counterpart was 1028 for sure! I had to blow wtaer hose in it's face to keep it off the dock.

We weren't throwing any body parts into the water since we were saving them for crabs later so it wasn't like we were asking for it. Everyone needs to really think about that picture you want to take holding them up on the dock they might come missing!! Pass the word!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 982 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |