THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#509686 - 05/20/09 01:14 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: slabhunter]
Fins Only Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Union WA
I support the enviroment 100%, but with that said we need to show these sea mammals whos boss. If it takes a Rifle than more power to it. These animals are very intelligent. Infact they are so smart that They have obviously come to the conclusion that we do not have the guts to alter this behavior. Unfortunatley this behavior is becoming more and more common each year.

This needs to get handled, violently if necessary!

#509690 - 05/20/09 01:40 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Fins Only]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Originally Posted By: Fins Only
This needs to get handled, violently if necessary!

Be careful! I work with a guy in Ak. that was arrested for shooting at sealions. He was sentenced to 1 year in a federal pen. He only served 9 days do to over crowding but said it was the scariest 9 days of his life.

#509695 - 05/20/09 02:30 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: eyeFISH]
A-DOG Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA
Here is my sea lion story from last spring. A couple of buddies decide we are going to skip work for the afternoon and go set some prawn traps. We figure what the heck lets go pick up the girls. Its a nice day. So we pull up to my house and Carol and our 6 year old jump on with the buddies daughter who is 7. I slide the boat off the beach and one buddy starts yelling at the top of his lungs. l look over and see what appears to be a large seal acting very aggressive. As I am putting out past my bouy (100' from shore) I see that it is a medium sized California Sea Lion and it is coming perpendicular towards the boat. This is when I realize that the thing is going to try to jump in the boat. Sure as [censored] he does his best Carl Lewis triple jump impression and lands halfway into the starboard side of the boat snapping teeth and all. In the melay the small girls are grabbed by the adults and I pop the boat up on plane in disbelief. Buddy is yelling again that its chasing us. I yell hang on and pound the trhrottle down. Sealion is then jumping wakes and makes it halfway in the boat again this time on the stern. That was the craziest thing I have ever had happen. I was in disbelief and the girls and the rest of the adults were shaken pretty badly.

After some phone calls to WDFW and NOAA I was told that you are able to defend yourself if your life is in danger, but you better have definitive proof. Touching off a round from the 06 off the front porch doesnt cut it. Furbag in the boat attacking me. Hells yeah its gonna die. Weapons on board with the kids has not been my favorite idea, however that situation could have gotten very bad very quickly and Im not going to take a chance on getting someone hurt because some furbag is having a bad hair day.

#509699 - 05/20/09 02:40 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: A-DOG]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Crazy story there A-Dog. I own guns but never carry unless I'm hunting. Maybe I'll change my mind after reading your story. I'll admit I like it when my buds carry while we are fishing.

#509700 - 05/20/09 02:46 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: seastrike]
LoweDown Offline
Conquistador

Loc: Forks, WA
Get a job Dave.

#509701 - 05/20/09 02:49 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: LoweDown]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Well, since it's pick on Seastuck hour!

Originally Posted By: LoweDown
Get a job Dave.

agree

laugh

#509737 - 05/20/09 04:47 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: The Moderator]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
That's a truly amazing story A-DOG!

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#509839 - 05/21/09 03:15 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: eyeFISH]
Charholio Offline
Parr

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Doesn't protection of property count for anything down there? I know it's the land of the liberal, but dang. When stuff like this starts happening with bears up here (AK), they either move them or kill them in the public's interest. Moving doesn't seem to be very cost effective nor does it solve the problem, as they come back.

#509840 - 05/21/09 03:43 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Charholio]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Damned things are just like those bears on the Russian, Charholio... habituated to human freebies... with ZERO consequences!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#509849 - 05/21/09 09:26 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: ROCK]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Hazing Sea Lions To Protect Salmon

Since early March, the states of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho have had federal permission to kill sea lions that prey on endangered salmon in the Columbia River.

The animals congregate near the Bonneville Dam, where salmon make for easy targets.

So far, wildlife managers have euthanized 10 sea lions. But there's also an effort underway to protect the salmon through hazing their predators.

Sadie Babits went out on the Columbia River to observe these scare tactics first-hand.

Bobby Begay steers his small boat up the Columbia River. His ties to the salmon here go back generations. As a member
http://news.opb.org/article/5024-hazing-sea-lions-protect-salmon/

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#509855 - 05/21/09 10:39 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: seastrike]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
You need to do more thatn threaten them with a hockey stick Dave, their smarter than Turkeys.
They seem to stay away from my baot for the most part. We have an "understanding". evil chain

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#509857 - 05/21/09 11:02 AM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Charholio]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Originally Posted By: Charholio
Doesn't protection of property count for anything down there? I know it's the land of the liberal, but dang. When stuff like this starts happening with bears up here (AK), they either move them or kill them in the public's interest.

Last time I checked, sealions were federally protected in Alaska too, so what would you do differently?

#509962 - 05/21/09 05:52 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: AkKings]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
If they enter the boat then it becomes self defense"Right"???.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#509963 - 05/21/09 05:53 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

its not a crime if you dont get caught....

#509970 - 05/21/09 06:13 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: dewbie]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
if you see one, try throwing it a beach ball. Then, when it's balancing the ball on it's head, shoot it.

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#509972 - 05/21/09 06:14 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Mikespike]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
UH OH PARKER!!! Looks like we're going to have to kill all the gophers rofl

Attachments
SeaLion_l.golfing.jpg

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#509974 - 05/21/09 06:16 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Mikespike]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

they even terrorize the golf course?! nothing is sacred anymore.

#509975 - 05/21/09 06:16 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Mikespike]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Oh,They need to be shot.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#509979 - 05/21/09 06:33 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: eyeFISH]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: fishNphysician
Damned things are just like those bears on the Russian, Charholio... habituated to human freebies... with ZERO consequences!

Thats becoming a scary place to fish at night. I've been all over AK but that is the only place I have ever felt it necessary to carry a gun while fishing. (bears) I had a Black bear scare the [censored] out of me one time up there, walked down the river a ways and some A-hole from Anchorage feeding said bear. His excuse was he knew all about bears and that I should mind my own business. It didn't end well for him, had to talk to the park ranger and a trooper a bit later and was let off with a warning and a snicker.

#509984 - 05/21/09 06:45 PM Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? [Re: Mikespike]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Mikespike
UH OH PARKER!!! Looks like we're going to have to kill all the gophers rofl

It's a Call To Arms, Dogfish!

No worries, Mike, Andy and I have got this one covered.....

thumbs

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1004 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |