Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#528093 - 08/13/09 01:26 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: Big Stick]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Loc: gales creek, or
I think someone here once said............

You can bull$hit the fans, but not the players!

laffin all the way to the finish line.
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#528097 - 08/13/09 01:28 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: kevin lund]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

Loc: Paradise,AK.
This is where you get to REALLY shine and post pics of that "Finish Line".

Thus far,you keep landing on your head and I'm getting tired of wiping away your tears.

(Please disregard my Post count,should you find it unsettling.)

#528102 - 08/13/09 01:32 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: Big Stick]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

I don't need to post a picture of anything. I am waiting to learn something from your superior fishing/egg curing endevors that I can use to advance my game on the waters here.

Do you have any advice on a cure for cancer, you seem to know everything else!
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#528106 - 08/13/09 01:38 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: kevin lund]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

First you were flapping your gums under the guise of "knowing",now you are distraught and in full retreat of same. The first was folly,the latter wellfounded.

None of it secreted.

I've been too busy in my life both Hunting and Fishing,to fret your blue-haired cancer woes...no matter how well founded your carcinogenic concerns.

Is this where you refrain Roe Commentary?!!?

Laffin'

#528107 - 08/13/09 01:39 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: kevin lund]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

C'mon...just ONE pic of sumptin'?!!?

#528109 - 08/13/09 01:42 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: Big Stick]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Is this where you refrain Roe Commentary

Not at all, I'm waiting for more usful tips.

Laffin
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#528110 - 08/13/09 01:47 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: kevin lund]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
cmon webster, I've got my notepad and dictionary ready for a informative egg post.

#528112 - 08/13/09 01:53 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: kevin lund]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

No problemo.

(1): As per ALWAYS,consider the "source". Beware posers who read just enough to be dangerous and who harbor their fruits on short runs of Hatchery Wares. That as a BEST case scenario.(grin)

(2): Anyone who cooks,strains,drains,freezes or otherwise compromises the Natural attraction of quality Roe...had best be asking questions,instead of giving "answers".

(3): Someone who hasn't 100 or so streams on hand that run multitudes of differing Salmonids at like times,is a pizz poor "sample" from which to discern Eggtitude.

(4): Someone who can't readily extract a multitude of skeins from an array of Salmonids within a pletora of systems and extrapolate in kind,their relative "worth" as per grade,quality,sizing,maturity,etc...is pizzing up a lot of ropes.

(5): Someone who can extrapolate #4,less saltwater extractions of same,is leaving MUCH to conjecture.

You know...the usual.

#528113 - 08/13/09 01:56 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: Big Stick]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

In broad brush strokes...those stingy with pixels,have none to offer.

laffin'

#528114 - 08/13/09 02:17 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: Big Stick]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

As a fan of R&D for myself,I'm typically pretty good at grabbing pics of the wares bantied. Can't find my grandiose Pautzke Roe pic,but I done it proud several times over.

Though I prefer Oakies/Corkies,Yarn Flies and the like.

#528123 - 08/13/09 03:02 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: Big Stick]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

Big stick, ask lund about the oregon dept. Of F and W investigation and conviction he and his tillamook buddies had on them for two years and how they pinched him for a multitude of game crimes like stripping hens for their eggs and buying extra tags illegally. The law spanked him good, he does however have cures that can't be topped.

#528129 - 08/13/09 03:40 AM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: Big Stick]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
So anyway, my version of the quick and dirty on curing bait. First and foremost, I am lazy when it comes to these things and I tend to look for the quick but effective way whenever possible rather than the "ultimate" but painstaking way.

In some places, at some times, what cure you use can matter. I have found this to be the case very rarely.

If it looks like eggs, smells, like eggs, tastes like whatever the hell this shite taste like, you will catch fish.

This time of year I have a virtual bait factory of sorts running a continual cycle. Catch the fish, cure the bait, catch the fish, etc. On and on it goes. 200 skeins this week and counting.

My super secret, ultimate, sure fire recipe and methodology is as follows. I will boil it down to the basics here, but do not be under the impression the the finer points as discussed in detail on an annual basis on this site have not been experimented with at least a time or three.

1. Catch fishes, remove the skeins, give'em a rinse so their are free of blood and gunk, mostly.
2. Put skeins in a gallon ziplock bag, or smaller if you only have a handful of skeins.
3. Lightly coat skeins in cure of choice (more on this later) on either side, and shake the ziplock
4. Put in fridge and shake em up once a day for 2-4 days, depending on how many times you pass the fridge in those days, and how badly you need more bait to keep catching the fishes.
5. Remove from fridge, let dry in open air until desired moisture content is achieved, and then package.
6. Package either as they are, or in borax of varying quantities, bearing in mind that more time in borax will achieve a dryer product.

I tend to like my eggs more on the softer and wet side. Less user friendly with regard to staying on the hook and making a mess of your hands (F the gloves), but fish like them more. I let my skeins dry until the exterior is a bit more dry than tacky, even a bit firm, but the eggs are still very moist.

Egg cures. Fire this, borax that, blahdy, blahdy, blah. How many fish take the time to get a nice long wiff, take a lick or two, and then decide to either bite the eggs or not? Realistically, eggs look like eggs, fish move to them, perhaps pick up a scent trail briefly, and then either bite or don't. As Kevin said, even eggs smelling of gasoline or colored blue, rubber eggs with scent and no scent, etc. as I have caught fish on, will continue to catch fish. Perhaps not as many as the "ideal" for that species, river, etc. etc. Of all of the factors, personally, I rank appearance as the most important, texture as the second, and scent/flavor dead last by a long shot. I would rather fish good looking eggs that smell like shite than a pile of mush or rock hard bait that smells like a salmon's equivalent of apple pie or punani.

Having fished most commercially available cures over all of the egg favoring species between WA and AK, I can really only say one has out produced the others, and that is Keith Archers UEC. Is it a miracle cure. No. Am I intentionally kissing Keith's hairy butt (sorry Keith) in public. Definitely not. It is a bit more of a finicky cure than some others in that the curing process, to achieve my desired product, takes a bit longer and a bit more time and attention that my second favorites (Pautzke's red and natural) but it has scratched fish out consistently in tough conditions when others have failed to get bit.

If possible, I would recommend avoiding freezing your eggs whenever possible. if done right, or very close to it, you can freeze well cured bait and it will come out looking and working wonderfully. If done wrong, which is easy to do, you will have wasted much.

Dave, I learned that fresh (uncured) roe catches fish just fine a number of years ago. I had discarded a fresh skein after cleaning a silver on the Sol Duc. A fellow at the take-out picked up the eggs and on his first cast hooked and landed a gorgeous native steelhead. I tried to kick my own balls but wasn't quite limber enough.

That having been said, last night I fished my clients with cured bait under bobbers next to an excellent fisherman fishing fresh roe, and we outfished them 6-1. Why? I don't know. Fresh eggs work, and well, but the cure gives you a leg up more often than not.

Two cents from a bait believer.

Happy bait slinging folks.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#528166 - 08/13/09 12:26 PM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: kevin lund]
Bent Rods Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chilliwack ,British columbia,C...
Keith Archers UEC has won the test too many times for me and my clients to rate it a fluke. We are talking fishing for holding Chinook in clear waters with serious boat traffic and pressure.
Fished head to head against every commercial cure mentioned here and with identical egg supply.
The heavy milking action was my best guess as to its advantage as this fishery is some of the toughest conditions I see in the season.

Would really like to try Amermans cure this season in this fishery as testing products keeps the job interesting.

#528187 - 08/13/09 01:18 PM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: kevin lund]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Take it to PM's guys, I don't want to read the drama.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#528193 - 08/13/09 01:34 PM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Egg gate. grin

- Albert Einstein.

#528213 - 08/13/09 02:25 PM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: ]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

First of all kevin lund is a convicted salmon poacher who has multiple counts of fishing violations that include killing hen chinooks, just for their eggs, and also he was killing way way more than his 10 wild salmon a year from tillamook county, he did this by lying to ODFW saying he lost his tag so he could get a replacement tag and kill more fish than he and his buddies(whom were doing the same thing). Look up the police reports. They were watching him for years and he has put a serious dent in wild chinook stocks all so he can be the biggest and best egg fisherman around. Doesn't surprise me he is now hauling all the eggs he can in alaska, even ones that don't belong to him. Gary amerman once told me fund has every flavor in the book as far as egg curing goes. Maybe we would all know as much as kevin fund if we were poaching hen chinook salmon for their eggs, cuttin em open and taking the roe and floating the carcass. What a ********** waste kevin. Runs in oregon suck the last couple years on your favorite tidewaters. Maybe all your poaching has contributed to poor returns. Sucks to see convicted poachers of the highest level can get a guide liscence

#528224 - 08/13/09 02:45 PM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: salmon bake]
twinlakesleach Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Chehalis
An extensive OSP Fish and Wildlife Division investigation into illegal angling activities has led to four Washington county residents being charged in connection with numerous violations.
Following several months of investigation, OSP Fish and Wildlife Division officers served four search warrants on December 29, 1999, at four residences in the Forest Grove and Aloha areas. The investigation and evidence obtained during the execution of the search warrants revealed three men and one juvenile allegedly had been falsely obtaining duplicate Salmon/Steelhead tags to cover their crime of exceeding the yearly limit of Salmon and/or Steelhead.
Oregon law limits an angler to one tag per year, but a duplicate may be obtained if their original tag is lost, destroyed or stolen. The yearly limit for Salmon and/or Steelhead, in any combination, is 20.
KEVIN LUND, age 28, from Forest Grove, was cited on a total of 16 charges in Washington, Clatsop, Tillamook, Coos, and Curry counties. Charges include EXCEEDING THE YEARLY LIMIT OF SALMON/STEELHEAD; CONTINUING TO ANGLE AFTER RETAINING THE YEARLY LIMIT OF SALMON/STEELHEAD; FALSELY OBTAINING SALMON/STEELHEAD TAG; WASTE OF CHINOOK SALMON; and, FAILURE TO RETAIN SALMON CARCASS WHEN TAKING THE EGGS.
WALTER MARTIN, age 47, from Aloha, was cited on a total of 29 charges in Washington, Lincoln, Coos, and Curry counties. Charges include EXCEEDING THE YEARLY LIMIT OF SALMON/STEELHEAD; CONTINUING TO ANGLE AFTER RETAINING THE YEARLY LIMIT OF SALMON/STEELHEAD; and, FALSELY OBTAINING SALMON/STEELHEAD TAG.
FRED STANLEY, age 65, from Forest Grove, was cited on a total of 5 charges in Washington, Lincoln, and Curry counties. Charges include FALSELY OBTAINING DUPLICATE SALMON/STEELHEAD TAG; ALTERED SALMON/STEELHEAD TAG; WASTE OF CHINOOK SALMON; and, FAILURE TO RETAIN SALMON CARCASS WHEN TAKING THE EGGS..
A juvenile in Washington County was cited on four similar charges.

Or could it be activities like this that are depleting the runs.

Hmmmm...could this be the same idiot also?

See below:

http://www.tdn.com/articles/2005/12/23/area_news/news03.txt

Edited by Naut_A_Byte (08/13/09 03:23 PM)

#528226 - 08/13/09 02:55 PM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: twinlakesleach]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Someone who does the things mentioned above is a piece of [censored] poacher. Cut and dry.

#528229 - 08/13/09 03:10 PM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
wow

#528231 - 08/13/09 03:12 PM Re: Curing Eggs [Re: twinlakesleach]
SmellslikeTuna Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seabeck, WA
Man, the skeletons are pouring out of the closet.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (NOFISH, Tug 3), 1134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |