Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#544592 - 10/08/09 09:39 PM Elk Hunters held at gunpoint by Tribal Police
ACT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
10/7/2009 6:00:00 AM Email this article • Print this article

An unidentified enforcement officer of the Port Gamble S’Klallam Tribe handcuffs Danny Phipps, son of elk hunter Don Phipps. Next to the truck is 2-year-old Taylor Boling and his father, Adam Boling. Another tribal officer is at far right. Photo by Jay Cline

At left, two unidentified bystanders talk to a tribal officer (back to camera). To the right is a park ranger. Kneeling with his hands on his head is C.J. Schafer, who helped load the elk into the truck. At right are two more bystanders. Photo by Jay Cline

Photo slideshow
View the slideshow of photos taken by the Sequim Gazette's Jay Cline here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elk hunters held at gunpoint: Local men were acting legally in Brinnon, say state and county law officials

By Barney Burke and Allison Arthur of The Leader

Two fathers and their sons went hunting in Brinnon on Saturday, but after legally downing an elk with a muzzleloading rifle, they found themselves staring down the barrels of guns pointed at them by uniformed officers of the Port Gamble S'Klallam Tribe.

"The whole thing was handled way wrong," said Don Phipps, who shot the elk. "I've never had anyone pull a gun on me in my whole life. I didn't understand it."

Phipps, his son Danny, 22, and friend Adam Boling, 28, were handcuffed for two hours while bystanders watched from nearby U.S. Highway 101. Also with the three men was Boling's 2-year-old son, Taylor.

All eventually were released at the scene and allowed to take the elk home for butchering, but the whole experience has left them wondering why the tribal police handled the incident in the way that they did.

According to Washington and Jefferson County law enforcement officials, Phipps was in full compliance with state and local laws on hunting and the use of firearms.

"I shot the animal pure legal," said Phipps, 48, of Shelton. He's been hunting since he was 9 years old, he said, and this year won a rare "elk permit" issued by Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife.

The elk was shot on private property where elk were grazing around noon on Oct. 3. The elk were between U.S. Highway 101 and the Hood Canal, across from the Bayshore Motel.

Boling said he and his son watched from a distance as Phipps shot the bull elk with a muzzleloader, an antique-style firearm legal for this specific hunting season and location, according to a state Fish and Wildlife official.

After the elk was felled, the men loaded it into Boling's Toyota pickup and started to drive up the dirt road toward the highway when two tribal officers approached them with their weapons drawn. One was holding a pistol, and the other an AR-15 assault rifle, said Boling.

"When a man is walking at you pointing a gun at you, you don't know what to think," said Phipps.

"I tried to explain to him, I don't know how many times," Phipps continued. "I'm in the shooting area. He kept screaming, 'No it's not - we have a report you shot it with a high-powered rifle.'"

The officers made the hunters lie prone on the ground. Boling tried to get up to grab his son, who had hidden behind the truck, but the officers wouldn't let him, he said.

"What makes me maddest is what they did to that child," Phipps said. "They pointed [their guns] at everyone who was out there helping me."

"They handcuffed all three of us," Boling said, and told them to "be quiet."

While the hunters were in custody, a friend ran to the Brinnon General Store, grabbed a copy of the state hunting regulation book and brought it to the scene. Boling said that helped convince the officers that the hunt was legal.

But then, Boling said, they were told they were in a "no-shooting" zone and perhaps "recklessly" shooting. The hunting party had received permission from the property owner, Boling said, and he'd been hunting there for years.

"We waited for an hour for the elk to get to a safe spot," Boling said. Although a muzzleloader has a range of only 100 yards or so, Phipps was nonetheless aiming toward Hood Canal, not the highway or nearby homes, he said.

"I felt helpless," Boling said of not being able to comfort his son, who ran and hid behind the truck. "I was worried he would be shot."

Boling said he had his own unloaded rifle and shotgun in his truck. He had used it recently for bear hunting, but did not take it out while Phipps was hunting elk.

Joined by a Jefferson County deputy and a Washington State Patrol trooper, the tribal officers took all three weapons and placed them on the ground as a crowd gathered to watch from the highway. The weapons were given back when the handcuffed men were released.

The incident left the men upset and angry.

Despite being held for two hours, they were able to take the elk to Boling's house to gut it, and then to a butcher to prepare it before it would have spoiled, Boling said, although that had become a concern.

"What these guys did was absolutely wrong," said Boling. "It devastated my little kid."

"I'm going to question the whole thing," said Phipps. "If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't do it," he said of the rare chance to use a muzzleloader elk permit.

Charges pending?
Paul McCollum, director of Port Gamble S'Klallam Tribe Natural Resources Department, said Tuesday that he had not yet seen the incident report from the responding officers, Capt. Gus Goller and Officer Dale Clark.

McCollum was unable to say what prompted his officers' response, though he noted there were a lot of cars on the side of the road as people watched the elk. The tribe has fishing and hunting rights that extend far beyond Kingston and Port Gamble, he said, and its enforcement officers are routinely in the Hood Canal vicinity.

McCollum said the hunters could face charges once his agency's report is reviewed by state officials.

Those charges could include both hunting and firearm violations, he said. "That area is a non-shooting area, I believe," said McCollum. He said that while the hunters claimed permission from the property owner, the owner is an elderly man who may have been confused.

Sgt. Phil Henry from Washington State Fish and Wildlife said he was not on duty on the day of the incident. However, he confirmed that an "elk special permit" hunting season is under way Oct. 3-11 in that area for those who were issued permits in a drawing. This particular hunt is limited to muzzleloaders, not modern rifles.

In addition, Henry said, the area on the east side of Highway 101, behind the Brinnon store, is open to the discharge of firearms per Sec. 8.50.130 of the Jefferson County Code. The area closed to firearms use is between the highway and the Bonneville power lines, and runs from Dosewallips River Road to the Dosewallips River.

"There was no hunting violation," Henry said. "There was no shooting violation.

"I cannot speak to the issue of reckless endangerment, because I wasn't there, and I have not talked to the Jefferson County deputy who investigated the scene," Henry added.

Jefferson County Sheriff Tony Hernandez said his agency only responded to assist the tribal officers, and as of Monday afternoon, it was unclear to him why tribal officers were there or why anyone was detained. The hunters were acting "legally," he said.

Link to Story

http://www.ptleader.com/main.asp?TypeID=...D=55&Page=1

#544594 - 10/08/09 09:45 PM Re: Elk Hunters held at gunpoint by Tribal Police [Re: ACT]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Hey ACT check out the thread on the main fishing page. Pretty good discussion going on.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 524 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |