LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#561699 - 12/05/09 11:07 PM If I don't connect tomorrow....
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I would like some help on a buck I have now jumped three times this year, and once last year.

Good buck, 3-point plus, and I've jumped him in the evening and morning from the same bed. The issue is I've been hunting alone so I can't cover all the routes out. I've been as close as 20 yards, but the sucker is sneaky.

This is near my house in McCleary, and it requires both a 2 mile bike ride and a short hike. You would get to see one of my honey holes where I've taken 7 or 8 deer, and there will be nobody else out there within a few miles.

PM me.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#561707 - 12/05/09 11:33 PM Re: If I don't connect tomorrow.... [Re: Dogfish]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I have a duck trip planned in the AM, but if you want to try him in the evening call my cell. I have taken tomorrow off from the house, but will need a double kitchen pass (morning/evening) and those are pretty hard to secure.

I have a mallard/goose thing planned with my construction super tomorrow.

#561733 - 12/06/09 01:19 AM Re: If I don't connect tomorrow.... [Re: Rocket Red]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Maybe next weekend???

I'm booked tomorrow with a hunt of my own. PM me if you want another set of eyes later in the week......that is if you haven't nailed him by then.

Good luck.

#561735 - 12/06/09 01:26 AM Re: If I don't connect tomorrow.... [Re: Eric]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Next weekend would be good as well.

#561920 - 12/06/09 09:19 PM Sorta connected... [Re: Dogfish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Taught a dog how to lie down and play dead.

Then how to ride a bike.

97 yards with my T/C. Not my best shot, but considering it was walking, I'm fine with it.

#561998 - 12/07/09 01:30 AM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: Dogfish]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Nice shot! Whatcha gonna do with it? New "momma" for the puppy?

#562058 - 12/07/09 11:34 AM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: snit]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Cedar didn't take new kindly to the new pet. First time I ever saw him put his tail between his legs.

#562107 - 12/07/09 01:26 PM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: Dogfish]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
I'm guessing the buck evaded your efforts again? Did you spot/jump him again?

j7 2012

#562115 - 12/07/09 01:46 PM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: j 7]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

He wasn't home. I'll wait until Saturday.

#562195 - 12/07/09 03:56 PM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: Dogfish]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Wish I lived closer. Would love to get in on that push...

Keith

#562245 - 12/07/09 05:52 PM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: stlhdr1]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Wish I still had my mt. bike, put alot of hunting miles on her before some jackass stole it.

#562832 - 12/09/09 12:27 PM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: AkKings]
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater Wa
If my season wasn't already over, I would be all over this! Nice dog by the way. Good luck on getting that buck!

#563627 - 12/11/09 10:20 PM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: Buck]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Eris, Ryan,

You guys up for tomorrow?

#563931 - 12/13/09 03:34 PM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: Dogfish]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Hope you did well Andy. We had planned on stopping by last night but it was late by the time we were driving home and just kept moving. That river is a long project to do in one day there and back. We were rewarded for our efforts though and Brent got half of the boat's limit himself. A very happy boy.

#564084 - 12/14/09 10:08 AM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: seastrike]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Ended up breaking my streak on deer. First tag in 20 that I didn't get to fill. Saw 7 yesterday, one in my regular spot, 6 out in Mason County, but all were either moving warp speed, or just out of range.

#564089 - 12/14/09 10:56 AM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: Dogfish]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Me too. frown

I went into my honeyhole for the afternoon after we split up....and *%*^&($#^& @** Weyerhauser gated my road! It was open all through the earlier season beathead beathead beathead

I hit plan B and busted something about 10 feet away on the other side of some jack firs. Never saw it.

Buddy calls that night "your 1/4 of beef is being delivered sunday morning".....mom calls sunday morning "I need help with a busted pipe"

so my season came to end with a wimper.

#564132 - 12/14/09 01:21 PM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: Eric]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
My Saturday was totally fugged. I actually skipped deer hunting to try setting up a couple of spots for ducks. Started out pretty cool I killed 4 differet kinds of drakes by about 1000, greenhead, sprig, GWT, ringneck, and let off lots of widgeon because I don't like their flavor.

I needed to be off the water by 1030 so that I could help my wife with the kids before their dance recital, by being a good guy, I would be able to hunt deer on Sunday AM. Well at 1005 I was texting my wife telling her I was coming back while the dog was chasing a cripple greenhead in some brush, next to a frozen slough. I was in the vicinity giving the dog encouragement. Mid text the greenhead shoots out from the brush running across the frozen slough, dog hot on his trail. We immediately tried to call off the retrieve but he was in the zone, and would not stop.

Pretty comical to watch, until right when the dog caught the duck, he broke through the ice. Luckily, only his back-end fell through, and his front paws and head were above the water. He was a little freaked out. I threw everything in my hands down, and started running towards the dog along the shore. I was able to break ice out to about knee deep water then, I tested it a little and laid over on my belly and dragged him out by the collar. He held on to the bird, and I wrung its neck.

I gathered up and went back to the boat, but I did not gather my phone (this is important for later). It was about 1015 now, we ran back to the ramp, (15 minute run up-river). When we got there there was a guy taking out his boat, and he got stuck on the ramp. So we had to help him out, (add 20 minutes). The ramp was basically a sheet of solid ice/mud, with ridges and pits. Generally, it was a mess. Then my Dad backed down, and we were able to climb out on our own. The other guy had a full sized Chevy and Duckworth, we were in a Toyota Tacoma, with a 17' jon boat with blind. We used the trick where we back down so the boat is barely in the trailer bunks, and I run the jet at full thrust, while my dad gives it hell on the ramp. Pretty exciting.

By the time we got back to the house I was 1.5 hours late, and there would be no deer hunt on Sunday morning. A kitchen pass was not forthcoming.

Went to the dance recital, which was at 2 pm, and the whole time I am trying to figure out where my cell phone is. It didn't dawn on me that I had dropped it until I was telling the story about the dog falling through the ice to another Dad. The recital was 2 hours and 45 minutes long! Ouch.

So on the way home I am telling my wife that I know where I can access the river bank, and I just have a couple of miles of walking through some farmers fields to get to where the phone is, and that there will be plenty of time to make it to Andy's house. I wanted to go ASAP because I figured my camera had fell through the grass, and I needed to see it light up to find it, because it was on vibrate. Well, I got to the pull off at 6pm, and started my walk. I did not want to use a flashlight until I was down in the river bottom trees, because I was tresspassing on 2 farms and did not want to raise any issues.

Took me almost 45 minutes to get to the bottoms where I could turn on my light, which was pretty cool. I saw a coyote, 5 raccoons in a tree, and 2 beavers. Once I turned on my light, I really started losing time. The light makes you look local, instead of trying to read your global situation. I ended up overshooting the slough, and having to fight my way back through a willow choked creek delta. That added another 30 minutes.

I got to the area, and called from my wifes phone. I immediately saw a light about 4" below the grass, and found it. I walked about 2 minutes back towards the car and my flashlight died. No big deal for walking through the fields, but I was able to follow good cow/game trails in the river bottom on my way in, and without the light, I could not find them.

Add 40 minutes, and a lot of swearing and just bulling my way through brambles and willow thickets. Finally got to the car at 830 pm. When I got home my wife had given up on going to the party, and at that point I didn't much feel like it either.

Sorry Andy. Missed you twice.

The season is open for another couple of days. I am going to bust my ass today at work and try and get set up so I can try Tues-Wed mornings before work. Hopefully nothing comes up.

#564137 - 12/14/09 01:37 PM Re: Sorta connected... [Re: Rocket Red]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
You are one multi-tasker there RR rofl

Thanks for sharing, it's not cool when the pup breaks through the ice eek

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |