Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#625040 - 09/29/10 08:00 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: fish_4_all]
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
9/29/2010

Fished from about 8:30 am - 12:00, Chehalis has "lot's of color", not coming from Satsop so Chehalis river could be "off color" for some time. No fish for me, only saw 1 fish "caught"???? Snaggers have been working area's of the river........lot's of boats coming down from Fuller and up from Montasano. Not many fish showing.......Satsop should be "gang busters" on 10/01.....Time tells all !!!!!

Edited by DrifterWA (09/29/10 08:01 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#625044 - 09/29/10 08:11 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: DrifterWA]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Not cool about the snaggers. Not cool at all.

We have to report these guys. If I see a snagger I will report immediately. Program the poacher hotline into your phone and do it.

This river is a special fishery, relatively un-ruined by the yarn chucking losers. Any small amount of snagging has to be stopped.

Last year there were some guys snagging at a popular spinner spot. I stopped my boat and called the hotline. I was sure to talk loud enough that they could hear my conversation with the machine. I got the 'death stare' but it was worth it because they left.

#625060 - 09/29/10 08:59 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: Rocket Red]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Loc: Grays Harbor
Behind Wal Mart water was still pretty clear on the incoming tide. Had to go small to get mine. Small beads and a copper powder coated blade.

#625165 - 09/30/10 12:09 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: fish_4_all]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Snagging on the Chehalis seems like pretty long odds most likely to yield some very sore arms and no fish. That's pretty big water, not the kind of place I'd associate with snagging.

Sg

#625175 - 09/30/10 12:24 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: Salmo g.]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

The snaggers I have observed having "success" on the Chehalis were not using the usual drift gear. Rather, they "fished" the frogwater with a slow-sinking bead setup. Let it sink until something causes the line to move or stop, then set the hook. I have heard this referred to as "tickling." A couple of guys I saw were deadly with that technique, and they were somehow managing to hook everything in the front of the head area. There was a game warden watching these guys, and you could tell he was frustrated at how efficiently they were hooking fish in the vacinity of the mouth.

I hate to admit it, but some of those snaggers are really good at what they do. Makes me think they could be great fishermen the ethical way....

Edited by FleaFlickr02 (09/30/10 12:24 PM)
Edit Reason: grammar

#625193 - 09/30/10 01:17 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: Rivrguy]
rawhide Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Dupont, WA
I am heading that way friday morning, where would the best place to start trying. I'm not opposed to floating the satsop but dont know if it is too early.

#625194 - 09/30/10 01:27 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: rawhide]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
What type of fishing you planning on doing?

#625220 - 09/30/10 03:51 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: rawhide]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
By floating do you mean rowing a drift boat?
Early morning you could launch at South Monte', Mary's River, casting spinners. 2cents

Yesterday, a young lady I know landed two coho downsteam. Fish should be moving up with every tide. beer

#625229 - 09/30/10 05:15 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: slabhunter]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

There are spots that fish stack up and snagging is rampant there on the Chehalis. Have seen it done in the past where boats and bank fisherman alike were snagging both Chinook and Coho and there was a fish on almost at all times. Go down and watch them at the mouth of the Satsop some time when the fish stack up there and the game wardens have left.

As for fish moving, they are sitting off Johns river right now in droves so the school is on the way. Once the baramoter drops they will be on the move. Should be a couple days and we will start seeing the main run moving in. Satsop should still be stacked with early fish though.

#625278 - 09/30/10 11:23 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: fish_4_all]
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
9/30/2010

Finally...2 adults..............

snaggers were working the "upper pump house", this has driven off the normal "old timers" who fish this area.....the language is terrible, little kids, ladies(?????), 7-10 guys....cast and jerk...

Sg........there is 3 or 4 places, between Monty and Fuller Bridge, where the snaggers, practice their "skills". I choose to not fish around this crowd......peace and quiet is just a short run, away.

Satsop should be a pistol!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#625487 - 10/02/10 03:24 AM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: DrifterWA]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Don't waste your time for a couple days anywhere below Monte or so. Everything is lock jawed and free swimming in these pathetic tides. Tides get better in a couple days and will drive the fish back into school and close to the bank for those of us tied to the rocks.

#625490 - 10/02/10 09:52 AM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: fish_4_all]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
got one but your right about LJ. what is around seems to be bright though.

#625531 - 10/02/10 01:49 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: Rivrguy]
Wacenturion Offline
Parr

Quick question for those of you that fish the lower river.........in regards to launching either at Friend's Landing or the WDFW launch at Monty by the 101 bridge, what should someone avoid as far as low tide heights are concerned with a larger jet boat...like 22 foot, when putting in or pulling out?

Also....any concerns at 28th street as far as low tide?

Thank in advance....appreciate your help.

Edited by Wacenturion (10/02/10 01:49 PM)

#625562 - 10/02/10 04:07 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: Wacenturion]
Harbor_Hog Offline
Returning Adult

Wacenturion~
Alright heres the down low on the Chehalis launches and what you need to avoid... The South Monte ramp (the one under the 101 bridge) is a nightmare at low tides. Basically the concrete ramp stops and then it just drops off into the river. I've seen numerous boats lost right at the launch because of low tide issues. As long as you have the water, you shouldn't have any problems launching and pulling out. But stay away from there during low tides, trust me on this one.
The friends landing launch is much easier. The ramp goes down a lot further and it doesn't just drop off when you do come to the end. I've never launched there during a super minus tide, but have during regular low tides and done just fine.
The Cosi ramp is fairly good too during low tides, but there is limited parking and it's usually pretty packed. The 28th street launch is ideal, but it too has it's down falls during low tides. The Westport shipyard is right there, and they use this launch to launch their 100 plus foot yachts. The problem is that they have built up a flat gravel landing that goes a ways past the end of the dock. So when you have a low tide you really have to back down a long ways to get your boat off the trailer. I know I have had to back past the dock and really jack knife my trailer to the side to find water deep enough to get it off the trailer. It can be done, but it's a pain in the butt during a minus tide. All in all you should be all right, just plan around the minus tides... Good luck out there...

#625566 - 10/02/10 04:41 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: Harbor_Hog]
Wacenturion Offline
Parr

Harbor_Hog.............Thank you very much. Appreciate the detailed information. I launched at Friends a week ago at a 1.7 low. An old timer told me that I didn't want to go any lower, as it also drops off like you described for the Monty 101 bridge launch.

Reason I ask is because fishing the Chehalis from a boat is new to me and I'm usually taking my 91 year old father, who is in good health and gets around just fine, but not really up to being the assist person on launching and loading. So I'm trying to make it easy on myself.

Boat is a 22 ft. North River Commander with full hardtop, Hamilton 212 jet.

Thanks again

Oh....forgot ....how's John River....launch and channel?

#625699 - 10/03/10 04:24 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: Wacenturion]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

John's River is single lane and has no dock. I'm not sure how low a tide one can still launch or retrieve at. The channel is shallow at low tide and tricky at most any stage of tide. Your boat might be a tad much for launching there.

Sg

#625703 - 10/03/10 04:44 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: Salmo g.]
Wacenturion Offline
Parr

Again.........Thanks!

#625768 - 10/03/10 11:25 PM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: Wacenturion]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
I hit it from 2pm till sundown, lots of big fish rolling and plenty of jacks, nothing for me though.

Watched a group of guys snagging in the frog water hooking and losing a lot of fish. They weren't clear on what a king/coho was so I'm pretty sure some kings got the wood shampoo.

Edited by thaxor (10/03/10 11:56 PM)

#625806 - 10/04/10 10:26 AM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: thaxor]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Heads up to those planning to fish next week.

Tribal nets:
42 12 Noon, Sun. Oct. 10 12 Noon, Thur. Oct.14
43 12 Noon, Sun. Oct. 17 12 Noon, Tues. Oct. 19
47 12 Noon, Sun. Nov. 14 12 Noon. Fri. Nov. 19

Cowboys:
Oct 8th 7am-7pm
Oct 15th 7:30am-7:30pm

#625824 - 10/04/10 11:58 AM Re: CHEHALIS SALMON DAILY UPDATE [Re: fish4brains]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Anybody know how the bay is doing?

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, 1 invisible), 953 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |