Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#690153 - 06/21/11 04:52 PM More Discovery Pass Idiocy
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Maybe I am a little slow on the uptake but got to thinking about how the $95.00 ticket could be reduced to $59.00 by purchasing a Discover Pass and wondered if someone receiving a ticket for unlawful use of a WDFW site could opt to purchase a qualifying license and get the same break on the ticket. Nope! Doesn't work that way!

Question to WDFW:

"The fine for not having a Discover Pass is $95.00 but reduced to $59.00 if one buys a pass within a specific time frame (30 days?). My question is does someone who is ticketed on WDFW lands for not having a Discover Pass or a (now complimentary) VUP issued with the purchase of a qualifying license have the choice of purchasing either the Discover Pass or a qualifying license to “earn” the reduced fine?"

Response from WDFW:

"If you were to receive a ticket for not having the Discover Pass and were planning to make a purchase to reduce the cost of the fine, you would need to purchase a Discover Pass, purchasing a WDFW Fishing/hunting License with complimentary Vehicle Access Permit or purchasing just a Vehicle Access Permit would not suffice."

Sure doesn't seem reasonable to me. If someone uses a WDFW site without a VAP or Discover Pass and is ticketed (presumably by WDFW enforcement) and the perp decides to cut his/her loss the only option is the Discover Pass which generates $2.40 to WDFW.

Not worth LE's time to do a pass through the parking lot let alone write a ticket.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#690166 - 06/21/11 05:52 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Larry B]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Loc: Grays Harbor
Bertter than nothing and possibly saves court costs and everything else. If it works to raise revenue and not cost more than it brings in it is better than not enforcing it, as confusing and controversial as it is in the first place.

#690184 - 06/21/11 07:07 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: fish_4_all]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Again, WDFW will receive only $2.40 from each ticket they issue that subsequently results in the purchase of a Discover Pass.

My point is that the perp should have a choice to buy either a qualifying license OR a Discover Pass - and I could argue that if the violation was on a WDFW site they would have no choice - got to buy a WDFW qualifying license to get the reduced fine.

Why should Parks receive the lion's share of the monies generated from the "opportunity" for a reduced fine for a violation on WDFW property?

Oh, that's right, it's all about the health of Parks!

#690221 - 06/21/11 11:08 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Larry B]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

I can just imagine the collections dept trying to collect from someone with no job and no fishing license.

Might as well start a list somewhere, cause Im not buying one, if its required to launch a boat somewhere. Ill go somewhere else. Trouble is, parking is getting scare in some places like flaming geyser and below.

#690224 - 06/21/11 11:30 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Fast and Furious]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Be awesome if part of the proceeds formed a flashlight brigade to fend off tweekers in parking areas.

#690227 - 06/21/11 11:57 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: RB3]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon
I'm gonna pay for it. It supports the parks I enjoy. It could be 4 passes required to use my seasonal outdoor destinations, and I would pay for each one. If you guys don't want to pay, feel free to stay home this summer. Save me some campsites and clear up some boat launches.

#690232 - 06/22/11 12:11 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

Trouble is, parking is getting scare in some places like flaming geyser and below.

how can you park in flaming geyser without one ?

#690233 - 06/22/11 12:14 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: boater]
steeleywhopper Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: snohomish county
If we have a combo hunting and fishing license with all the bells and whistles are we still in need of one of these Discovery Passes? I cannot find any clear answer on this. Any help appreciated.

#690237 - 06/22/11 12:22 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: steeleywhopper]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Hunting and fishing on WDFW-managed lands. The Discover Pass is not required for holders of certain hunting and fishing licenses on WDFW recreation lands and water-access sites. For those individuals, a "WDFW vehicle access pass" will be required for vehicle access to WDFW lands and boat launches. WDFW will honor WDFW vehicle use permits that were purchased prior to July 1, 2011, on WDFW lands through March 31, 2012.

Those license holders will need a Discover Pass to access DNR-managed lands that are developed or designated as recreation areas, sites, trailheads and parking areas. Signs will be posted in these areas. License holders will not need a Discover Pass to access small blocks of undesignated DNR-managed lands.

For vehicle access to lands managed by State Parks, all hunters or fishers will need to purchase the Discover Pass. As a reminder, hunting is not allowed on State Parks lands.

#690248 - 06/22/11 01:07 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: boater]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Boater's post seems to cover it pretty well.

I had planned on buying the Discovery Pass to access DNR lands in my usual Fall Chantrelle foraging trips, but that does not seem required.

I may buy one now but I may wait until next year since I already have my WDFW parking pass and confirmed reservations for State Park camping for this year, neither of which will require a Discovery Pass and have been contributing to State Parks each time I renew the licenses on my vehicles.

In my case the Discovery Pass will only be $15 more than I contribute now so it is not a major money issue.

If enforcement citations and court systems are not any better than now with the WDFW parking permits, it will not be worth the time for either county Sheriff's officers or WDFW LE's to issue citations.

When I discussed this with a Sno county officer last year, he informed me that they don't enforce parking stickers at the Lewis Street WDFW access ramp here in Monroe since WDFW officers do citations on their computers and the tickets are mailed. Since there is no visible ticket, they have no way of knowing if a citation has already been issued.

Since the money from any fines goes to the county, there is very little incentive for a WDFW LE to write tickets. It just results in more paper worked for an already overworked LE.

I feel the Discovery Pass is a good idea, but doubt that it will bring in the revenue hoped for by the State.

Last summer when I talked to the Sno county officer, there were 50 cars parked at the access site, it was a hot summer day with many families and groups wading or swimming.

Not one had a parking permit.

#690256 - 06/22/11 01:50 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Sebastes]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

JGriz - The Discovery Pass is probably a good deal for those wanting to use Parks and DNR facilities and a really good deal for non-fishermen/hunters who want to make use of WDFW facilities and to do so only contribute $2.40 to WDFW. Given the reality that Parks will be a pay as you go operation with no general fund support I agree with your assessment.

Those hunters and fishermen who purchase qualifying licenses will still receive a Vehicle Access Permit (VAP) good on WDFW sites but it will be considered complimentary. Remember that to separately purchase a VAP the cost used to be $12.00; that access (for one vehicle) now comes with the Discover Pass with only $2.40 dedicated to WDFW. So what used to be valued at $12.00 is now only worth $2.40. Pretty sizeable deflation while costs continue to climb.

I hope that WDFW didn't end up on the short end of the stick on this financial shell game.

#690259 - 06/22/11 02:19 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Larry B]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Would have been nice if the CCA would have helped to reduce the cost to fishing license holders by playing ball, but they refused to, so we get to pay twice. How much is an annual CCA membership? $30?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#690260 - 06/22/11 02:22 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Dogfish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Ah, Dogfish, did you have to???

#690275 - 06/22/11 09:47 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Dogfish]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Would have been nice if the CCA would have helped to reduce the cost to fishing license holders by playing ball, but they refused to, so we get to pay twice. How much is an annual CCA membership? $30?

How could CCA have played ball? By pursuing an issue that has no impact on conservation? There may not have been an upside to pursuing a non conservation issue while spreading themselves too thin in other areas.

Sometimes you fight the fight you can win and sometimes you win just by walking away.

I am sure the flamethrowers are just waiting in the wings!

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#690278 - 06/22/11 10:02 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

The more you stick your heads in the sand and complain about this, yet fail to recognize where they had a chance to lessen the impact on our wallets, the sillier you look.

#690283 - 06/22/11 10:33 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Dogfish]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I'm in kind of a different situation.

I hunt and fish with appropriate licenses.....good to go on WDFW/private forest lands. No go on DNR/state parks without the Discover Pass.

I ride dirtbikes on state OHV trail systems (DNR land) Accordingly, I purchase ORV bike tabs with the money going to a state trail maintenance account(NOVA funds)......my BIKE is good to go on DNR land but NOT my truck that hauls the bike. No go without the Discover Pass.

Here's my problem. I'm out upwards of $150 for the activities above before I even purchase the Discover Pass and I still can't access all areas of the state, parks, etc....

Joe Schmo goes and buys the $30 Discover Pass and has access to all state lands, parks, etc...

Fair? Hardly. If I cave in and purchase the Discover Pass, I've invested upwards of $180 for the same opportunity.

I ain't buy'n!

#690295 - 06/22/11 12:04 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

I'm not buying the "It's not my job" stance from CCA. They had a chance to act on behalf of their membership, a vast majority who are fishermen. The snowmobiler's also had the same opprtunity.

Full disclosure?

1. I have many interests Marsha. Hunting, fishing and being a dad and husband. I also affect major change in my community. Much more so than the average Joe who just writes a check and lets others do the heavy lifting.

I headed on a campaign for the remodel of a school in my community where many attempts had been made to try and pass it, and they failed. My campaign succeeded.

I got on the school board, noticed that a neighboring school district literally had a square mile island smack dab in the middle of our district, part of it in our city limits. I worked with others and we got that island incorporated back into our school district. Others had tried before, but failed.

I got the Wynoochee diversion dam access opened back up when a neghbor to the City of Aberdeen property placed an illegal well on City of Aberdeen land, and then complained enough to have them shut it down.

I got a law changed, with the help of others, that made it so that folks who legally own suppressors (silencers) in Washington State can actually use them. That law goes into effect in 30 days. Ownership was legal, use was not.

I, along with others, held commissioner Jenning's feet to the fire throughout his confirmation hearing process, even bringing down a Makah tribal council member to testify at his hearing. Who was your guest at that hearing? I gave public testimony a total of 4 times at different meetings against Jenning's pet project in Neah Bay.

I get involved, roll my sleeves up, and I GET SH!T DONE. I also work with EVERYBODY. Tribes, fishermen (commercial and recreational), hunters, shooters and I am not afraid to say their sh!t stinks when it does. I also never say that anything "Isn't my job."

List your accomplishments over the past 5 years, please.

2. I don't like commercial gillnetting one bit. I wish the activity was gone from our waters. I don't buy commercially caught fish, haven't since 1986. I don't like the way the hake and pollock fisheries rape our oceans. I don't support Puget Sound commercial crabbers. I bank commercial long liners, crabbers, shrimp fishermen, charterboats, and a few folks with commercial troll permits. Without exception, these activites take place in the Ocean, not in the Puget Sound.

I can't change Quinault fishing habits, neither can you. I fish as a guest of a Quinault member once per year, sometimes twice per year, on one or two of their rivers. The only thing I've paid to do on the Quinault Res in the past 7 or 8 years was buy my father-in-law a bear hunt. I did pay for two guided trips on the Quinalt Nation in the past 10 or 12 years.

3. Give Brian a call. Ask him if I haven't blasted him a time or two on his stance on more than one item. If you think I fall all over myself to blow him, you are sadly mistaken. Legislation reinstating a 14 year old hunting age limit, reform on foreclosures, reinstating B&O tax on mortgage interest, and many others are bills that I was against, and Brian was for. There is no secret love affair. Brian was also helpful in reigning in Jennings. I am not anybody's schill.

Go on telling yourself, "It wasn't their job". I'll spend my money on the discovery pass, and not on CCA. I wish them luck.

Thanks for trying to out me as the piece of crap that I am.

#690298 - 06/22/11 12:40 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

The CCA had an opportunity to mitigate the issue. They didn't.

Was there anything that I was "defensive" about that I am supposed to be ashamed about. You brought up points, I answered them.

You didn't answer anything I asked. Is it because all you did was write a check?

#690304 - 06/22/11 01:06 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Kingflounder Offline
Smolt

Loc: It's uncanny, I'm here too.

Well now that things are getting nasty, might I point out that the Discovery Pass is really quite more expensive than any of us thought. Think deeply before purchasing, access is limited.

http://www.discoverypass.com/products.asp

LOL

King

#690311 - 06/22/11 01:31 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Kingflounder]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim

by ROBERT MAK / KING 5 News
Bio | Email | Follow: @makupfront

Posted on June 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Updated today at 10:04 AM

OLYMPIA -- To some lawmakers' suprise, there's no way to buy the state's new $30 "Discover Pass" for $30.

Transaction and dealer fees add 16 percent to the cost of the annual pass.

"Well, it's not acceptable to me and I tell you what, I'm going camping next week and I need this permit and I'm not paying $35 for it. So if they haven't figured out the problem, they're going to have to figure it out by the time I get out there," said Sen. Dan Swecker (R-Rochester).

To raise money, the state legislature created the new "Discover Pass." Starting July 1, if you drive into a state park, your vehicle must have the new pass or you could face a $99 penalty. The pass gives you statewide access to parks and natural areas, or you can buy a day permit for $10.

If you purchase the pass at a local sporting goods store, you might expect to pay an extra fee. But you'll also pay more on the state website--a $3 transaction fee is built in, and when you check out, an additional $2 dealer fee is tacked on. The total bill is $35.

"It is one of the realities of doing business in modern times, lots of people who handle ticketing and passes and that kind of thing have additional fees attached," said Virginia Painter, spokesperson for Washington State Parks.

Some state lawmakers are pretty surprised. The legislation they approved spelled out "thirty dollars" for the annual pass, and "ten dollars" for the single-day pass (which in reality is $11.50 with additional fees). State Sen. Kevin Ranker, who sponsored the legislation, says it was his understanding that any transaction costs would be built into the $30, not passed along to parks users.

"We promised $30," Ranker said.

Washington State Parks says this is the same system used for years to sell fishing and hunting licenses, and they have always charged extra transaction and dealer fees. The state says it's the same as buying concert tickets -- you don't pay face value.

"The reason is, the vendor who's handling the sales, this is a private business, that we contract with through fish and wildlife, and they have to make their money, it costs them to produce this thing," Painter said.

The state says there will be a way to avoid extra fees starting this fall, if you buy the Discover Pass when renewing your car tabs. But for now, if you want to comply with the law this summer, you have no choice but to pay the extra $5.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1013 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |