Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#690312 - 06/22/11 01:56 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Hmmm, if one takes the $5.00 out of the $30.00 and then divides the remaining $25.00 IAW the legislative's prescribed formula WDFW will receives $2.00 instead of $2.40 - or does it really? Is there any further dilution of that pittance before it actually drops into the hands of WDFW?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#690315 - 06/22/11 02:01 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: bushbear]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
"The House version tries to simplify the issue by requiring everyone using any state lands or state parks to have a Discovery Pass, but it would cost sportsmen only $15 when purchased with hunting or fishing licenses."

Yes, this is what Brian was trying to get through, but without any support for it, this died, so we got what the HSUS got behind, and get to pay more. This is what I've been saying, the CCA had an opportunity to do something and they chose to say, "Not our job." HSUS had no issue backing a particular version of the legislation, even when it has nothing to do directly with their charter, or animals. They fought for an issue they felt impacted their membership, and won. the CCA did nothing, and we lost.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#690318 - 06/22/11 02:22 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Dogfish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Still waiting to get that apology for your mispresentation of me, and my beliefs.

#690340 - 06/22/11 05:13 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Dogfish]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
I doubt that many sportsmen that hunt and fish are happy with this pass.......I will go hunting and picking mushrooms this fall and see where the chips lay, hopefully without getting ticketed......One thing I am concerned about though is fishing off the Jetty in Ilwaco, have to drive through a state park to get there

#690353 - 06/22/11 05:58 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: N W Panhandler]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: N W Panhandler

One thing I am concerned about though is fishing off the Jetty in Ilwaco, have to drive through a state park to get there

you will need the pass for that

#690362 - 06/22/11 06:35 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Without any organizations supporting the lesser issue, and a strong .org supporting the worst case scenario, we got what we got. CCA could have helped, so could the snowmobilers. They needed somebody from a user group to step up, and both of these groups sat on their hands.

#690381 - 06/22/11 08:13 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Dogfish]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
"The House version tries to simplify the issue by requiring everyone using any state lands or state parks to have a Discovery Pass, but it would cost sportsmen only $15 when purchased with hunting or fishing licenses."

Oh that's magnanimous......

Sometimes not giving into bullchit is the best way to go......capitulating to a bunch politicos doesn't make one look strong.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#690386 - 06/22/11 08:50 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: RowVsWade]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.

#690391 - 06/22/11 09:20 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: boater]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

At least they don't "nickle and dime" us....the bright side is that it could have only been another $15 rather than $30....or is it $20 rather than $35? In either case I 'spose we should just be super fvckin happy to be allowed to use "our lands".

#690404 - 06/22/11 10:49 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: RowVsWade]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
That's it! Dogfish.....you're now Dogshit!

wink

just yankin'

#690411 - 06/22/11 11:10 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ParaLeaks]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon
You can stick it to the man and just ride your bike in required pass areas.

#690419 - 06/23/11 12:19 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ParaLeaks]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Maybe Ron could chime in whether Puget Sound Anglers was contacted by the same representative.
Hard to know if any Trout unlimited management or board members even visit the site. They testify all the time and they both have lobbyists. They reportedly have as many members.

Be nice to know where the NRA was on the issue as well.

#690420 - 06/23/11 12:34 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Fast and Furious]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Well, with all of this money forthcoming maybe WDFW can retain their property at Point No Point and put in a proper boat launch. Any current news NWP? (Not that I'm trying to change the subject or anything)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#690421 - 06/23/11 12:37 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Fast and Furious]
winterchrome Offline
Smolt

Loc: Oly
Does CCA employ a lobbyist during the legislative session? I was just looking at their web accomplishment page and looked at the bills they referenced as well as other bills where sport groups were active but did not see anyone signed in representing CCA.

#690423 - 06/23/11 01:01 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: winterchrome]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Yes they do. His name is Scott Sigmon. Second year I believe. 2009 they also had one, but he retired after the session was over.

#690425 - 06/23/11 01:05 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: RowVsWade]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
Originally Posted By: Dogfish

Oh that's magnanimous......

Sometimes not giving into bullchit is the best way to go......capitulating to a bunch politicos doesn't make one look strong.

To be clear (becaue I'm often not wink ) I am NOT dogging or trying to disrespect Dogfish.

I just don't think that bad is a better outcome than worse...

#690434 - 06/23/11 02:43 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: RowVsWade]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

I just don't think that bad is a better outcome than worse...

+1

It would have been a no win situation. Politician asks if youll approve an increase and you say yes, they already have justification to come back for a bump in the fee and put you on the spot. Any increase, like the 750 for the Columbia would still be met with critics. I talked to Blake at the sportsmens show at the cca booth. I wont go into the details of the discussion publicly, I'll just say, he was in no mood to do cca any favors. 1717 was just filed that week and if he checked the filings that week he knew about it.

Parks had a 60 million dollar hole to fill. This state and King County in particular spend money for the acquisition of land for parks and then as soon as money is tight, they abandon them like a stray dog. They made them free for so long, that everyone thinks that cutting grass and clean up garbage and toilets is cheap. It was only a couple years ago the five dollar entry at flaming Geyser and other parks FAILED and were retracted, so they come back and raise it by six times.

I think the sticker shock will put a lot of people off and I think the legislature will have to reinstate general fund money to parks in the future, lower the fee of the card and stop buying more land for parks. 60 million didnt disappear overnight, so the legislature itself is to blame for the funding of this dept.

In 2009 when the Senate and the house had hearings on eliminating the commission, they did so under the guise that Hunting clubs wanted to get rid of the commission. Angler groups went to oppose it, but at one meeting CCA was not allowed to testify. It passed out of committee and passed the floor of the senate quickly. It failed in the house Ag and NR committee by one vote. A person might conclude that reaching out to opponents is done when you have the chance to make them look bad.

Anyone who went to the house Ag hearing on 2266 to legalize selective gear in Washington in 2010, will remember, the bill was not heard. What was heard was a shot across the bow by the chairman, who brought forth his own bill for a new commercial fishery in the columbia. The territory is clearly hostile, but support is growing. It makes it tough with elections every two years. I was specifically told by a former Senator that they look to other politicians with some experience and thus they are often lead down the wrong path in issues like ours. That is why folks like Jacobsen were so influential, sports did not have enough presence to counter the misinformation.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (06/23/11 03:38 AM)

#690435 - 06/23/11 03:27 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Larry B]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
It's been said if you lock up a bunch of monkeys in a room with a typewriter, they will eventually produce a POS novel, or an article for an outdoor magazine wink. When a number of WA legislators were sequestered in similar confines, they came up with the Discover Pass. A decade ago, our representatives decided the citizens of this state should pay $5.00 to park, picnic, fish, or use the restrooms in WA State Parks. Useage of state parks dropped dramatically and considerable ill will was created by the fee. That fee was dropped, but later replaced by the $5.00 vehicle license surcharge. More ill will was created when the "voluntary" contribution was charged to all licenses, thus requiring one to opt out, or pay up. In the past, I've willing paid the surcharge, but those days are over. Now I'm trying to figure out where I can recreate without giving this state a dime more than is absolutely required. Others have indicated they are doing the same. The fees are excessive when one considers all the other permits required to use the public lands in this state. Not allowing the $35 Discover Pass to be transferred between a pass holder's vehicles is only one indication of how out of touch WA "representatives" are with their constituents and the economic challenges they are facing. I hope this POS legislation burns up in a wildfire of public protest.

#690447 - 06/23/11 10:58 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: CedarR]
fishrlady Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sequim, Wa
I don't mind buying a Discovery Card although I'd appreciate it applied to the person, not the vehicle. 1Ton for a couple boats, as I spend more on fuel, ect. I go down to an old Suzuki Samurai and lake boat. As I need to save more, down to an enduro with rocket launcher attached. Can't save no matter how I try. Three permits to buy.

#690453 - 06/23/11 12:05 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: fishrlady]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I agree....the pass should be transferable between vehicles.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 926 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |