Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#703188 - 09/09/11 01:52 PM (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Hard to believe it's been 10 years.

I was on vacation with my GF in Whistler B.C. I woke up in the village there to grab some Starbucks, came back to the hotel room and turned on the T.V. The second plane was just hitting the second tower....It was like a bad dream.

I remember telling my GF that things will drastically change in the future. We sat there for hours watching, we felt really helpless being out of the country and all. Sorrow turned to anger and we said fugg it, were going on our mountain bike trip we had planned. Didn't have fun at all, came back and watched more news coverage. We ended up being stranded there for 3 extra days, due to the border being shut down. Typing this makes me madder than hell....care to share your story?

- Albert Einstein.

#703189 - 09/09/11 01:54 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: Sol Duc]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Watching it all unfold on TV at my house...skipped work.

Tuned in just before they were saying the first plane was not an accident, and saw the second plane hit.

Some fukked up schit right there.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#703191 - 09/09/11 01:59 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: Sol Duc]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

First heard the shock and confusion on the radio on my way to work crossing the Nooche.

Don't think they had quite figured out whether it was just a freak accident.... until that second plane struck. Then it was like .... Houston, we have a problem.

Even though that sum'beech Bin Laden is now dead and gone, folks.... NEVER forget!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6yLQRF-cEU&ob=av2e

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#703193 - 09/09/11 02:14 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: eyeFISH]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Sitting a home reading the PI. Phone rang and my best friend said turn on the TV and hung up. I stayed home from work that day.
It also happened to be my wedding anniversary day. Didn't go out to celebrate as planned after watching the tragic events unfold on TV.
I visited ground zero the following spring. Very somber experience to say the least.

Edited by stonefish (09/09/11 03:04 PM)

#703194 - 09/09/11 02:17 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: eyeFISH]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens, Wa
I was at Cape Canaveral working on commissioning the Launch Pad for the Delta IV Rocket program. A co-worker and I were in the basement of the Support Equipment Building looking at some air handler's and ducting. We were coming up to the first floor for a 9:00 break, when we got to the door we found contractors running about willy-nilly. Finally Charlie, my co-worker, grabbed one of the guys by the arm as he was running by and asked him WTF is going on?

The guy told us about the WTC, and said that the Treasury building and Capital Hill had been hit too. Then he said that KSC and CCAFS were targeted as well, and that's why they were getting out of there. Charlie and I just looked at each other, and then I said Why? this building is probably safer than any place else. (This building used to have the fixed umbilical tower mounted to it, and sit below Saturn 1B rockets during the 60's)

Charlie and i went down to the blockhouse where all of our fellow employees were gathered where we watched the towers fall and the rest of the day unfold. As a security precaution the KSC/CCAFS Police raised all drawbridges to foil anyone from entering the base. We didn't get home until late evening as a result.

Edited by MartyMoose (09/09/11 02:18 PM)
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#703196 - 09/09/11 02:24 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: MartyMoose]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

I was in AP Government in high school in Maryland. The school basically shut down and I later found out that one of my basketball teammates lost his aunt that was a flight attendant on one of the planes. He got to meet Pres. Bush. Bush asked him if there was anything he could do for him, he asked for a recommendation for a military academy, it never materialized. That Bush sure was a winner

#703197 - 09/09/11 02:25 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: MartyMoose]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Sitting in the city tour bus on the morning of our first day in Quebec City with my wife on our 25th anniversary with info coming in to the driver in French then translated. Sure took the edge off of that otherwise happy milestone! I was very appreciative of the condolences expressed by the Canadians as events unfolded.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#703198 - 09/09/11 02:28 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: Larry B]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
In the weight room at college.

#703200 - 09/09/11 02:47 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: D3Smartie]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Getting ready for work and get a call from the gf that "Something has happened. I don't know what but you should turn on the TV". I sat shocked and then watch the second plane hit. I was shell-shocked and sickened.

I felt tears coming not just for those that lost their lives but because I knew the changes that would be coming to our country. Unfortunately, the next few weeks only supported my feelings as fear ran rampent and the freedom that America once represented to me was shackled away for "our safety", never to return again. I was disappointed that the unity that many of us felt was turned into war, defense contracts, and plastic made-in-China bumperstickers.

I'd really like to see some of the PP threads from the weeks that followed and also during the build-up to the Iraq War. I've searched for them before but have never been able to find them. Some perspective could be gained by all of us by re-reading our words from that time.

May all the victims and their families find peace.

-AP

#703201 - 09/09/11 02:50 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

I felt tears coming not just for those that lost their lives but because I knew the changes that would be coming to our country. Unfortunately, the next few weeks only supported my feelings as fear ran rampent and the freedom that America once represented to me was shackled away for "our safety", never to return again. I was disappointed that the unity that many of us felt was turned into war, defense contracts, and plastic made-in-China bumperstickers.

I agree...it's beyond sad that we've gone out of our way to try and finish what the terrorists started...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#703205 - 09/09/11 02:58 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: MartyMoose]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I got in the car to head to work, and the first thing I heard from the radio was "The United States of America is under attack!" I put it off to a really sick joke until the second plane hit. When I got to work, everyone was glued to the TV, watching in horror as the second tower collapsed. It was like hearing a friend or relative had just been killed. At first, I was in some sort of denial, but as the day went on, I became increasingly angry. Most bizarre emotional experience I can recall.

I recently saw a documentary about the memorial that was built at ground zero. It featured several individuals whose lives had been directly affected by the disaster visiting the memorial for the first time and being led to the inscriptions of their beloved who had died. Moved me to tears more than once.

I visited the World Trade Center twice as a youngster, and it was an awe-inspiring sight to behold. Every time I see a picture of the NYC skyline without those towers, I get an empty feeling. I feel compelled to visit the memorial someday.

The one good thing that came from that day of infamy was the renewed sense of patriotism it stirred up in just about every American. For the first time since the end of World War II, we were a nation united under a common cause.

#703206 - 09/09/11 03:00 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: Todd]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Packing for another Astoria salmon trip with the 1st wife. Pops called and said "turn on the tv"...me "why"...pops "serious [censored] happening"...unbelievable!!! Still went fishing. Astoria bridge was closed and there were "feds" crawling all over it looking for bombs (we suspected). 2001 salmon season was stupid good. Sad time for everyone..........

#703208 - 09/09/11 03:07 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: snit]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Getting ready to go to work (USFS Fire) to do some prescribed burning. Remember eating cereal thinking, "Why the hell are they running a Die Hard, etc. movie this early in the a.m.?" Popped in a VHS tape, hit record, and walked to my office. We sat huddled around a 13" tv with a piss poor homemade antenna in the fire shop watching the news for the rest of the day.

#703211 - 09/09/11 03:16 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: Twitch]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
I was working, wondering why my co-worker hadn't shown up yet. I found him in the breakroom watching the news. I got there just in time to see the second tower get hit.

#703214 - 09/09/11 03:53 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
RV Park at Spanish Head on the coast. Last trip before I lost the wife.

#703226 - 09/09/11 04:57 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
On my way into work on a nice sunny tuesday morning for our once a week manager meeting.Sad $hit.Good luck,
SZ

#703253 - 09/09/11 06:47 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: ]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

On I-5 north of Seattle on my way to a meeting in LaConner. The first radio report lacked detail, and I mistakenly assumed it was a small private plane, like a Cessna, and maybe the pilot had a heart attack and the plane ran into the building. Just as the radio was explaining that the plane was a commercial airliner, and I was thinking, "how could that even happen?" the announcer said a second airliner just crashed into the second tower. In that instant, everyone who heard the report knew the nation was under attack.

The meeting seemed far less than consequential, but we went through the motions. I stopped in N. Seattle on my way home that evening for a second meeting that had sports bar TVs next to it, so we went and watched all the repeat news for an hour or so, and I began to feel the immensity of the attack.

I called my oldest daughter who lives in DC, and she said she couldn't get to work that morning because she has to cross a bridge near the Pentagon, and the bridge was closed. She could see the fire at the Pentagon, and turned around and went home.

I was initially impressed with how the event galvanized unity among Americans, and then watched in disbelief as Congress passed the Patriot Act, giving the terrorists their first win. Then I was outraged as Bushco squandered the national unity by polarizing the nation into the camp that supported the irrational attack on Iraq against the rationalists who opposed it and preferred that the nation remain focused on those who planned the attack, since the attackers were all dead.

Sg

#703261 - 09/09/11 07:07 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: Salmo g.]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
As a matter of fact Salmo, 7 or 8 of the supposed perpetrators are still alive and well living in the middle east. Isn't it amazing that those individuals stolen or lost passports made it into that plane wreckage, and remained intact? All part of the lies that surround 9/11, buried in the unreleased parts of 9/11 report within the national archives.

I was at work, watching in total disbelief as my coworkers and I watched the attacks unfold. Today, I am in more disbelief than on that day.

#703262 - 09/09/11 07:10 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: Salmo g.]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I was nowhere doing nothing of importance so I watched it all day and all night for the better part of a week. I am a b boxing fan and tend to look at life in boxing metaphors. It had been years since this country had been punched hard and knocked on it s butt. The response is always the true test of any fighter, will you walk around and try to figure out what happened and rationalize it or will you get up and punch right back and go toe to toe letting the other guy know it is to the death , all bets are off. It was to the death for them and not so much with us. We cry about what comforts we have lost or the affronts to our political and world view that we have faced . The other fighter sleeps on dirt eats whatever he can find figures one more day above ground to hit that other fker again even harder is all that matters. For me life has been great since 911 it has not changed in any way that I can complain about knowing there are people around me with far less still happy and smiling. I may die tomorrow so I choose to live in the moment.

#703272 - 09/09/11 07:40 PM Re: (( NFR))Where were you on the morning of 9-11 [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
Getting ready for work and get a call from the gf that "Something has happened. I don't know what but you should turn on the TV". I sat shocked and then watch the second plane hit. I was shell-shocked and sickened.

I'd really like to see some of the PP threads from the weeks that followed and also during the build-up to the Iraq War. I've searched for them before but have never been able to find them. Some perspective could be gained by all of us by re-reading our words from that time.

May all the victims and their families find peace.

-AP

Well stated. I was headed to work when I got a call from the wife. Turned on news radio and then drove back home to watch plane #2 go into the tower. Pretty much watched the news for a couple days just because I couldn't believe something like this happened. Worse things have happened in history but I've grown up in a generation that hasn't been affected by much. 42 years old. My generation has had it pretty easy....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1078 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645298 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |