THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#729457 - 12/31/11 10:18 PM Falling in river with chest waders?
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oregon
Planning on running some rivers with heavier white water this winter in my new cataraft (North fork Nehalem, Trask River below pennisula) and was wondering if any of you have taken a spill in the river with chest waders on. I'm trying to come up with the best way to keep water out if I ever take a spill.
I plan on wearing a life jacket of course, but whas wondering what else guys do to stay dry.

#729459 - 12/31/11 10:31 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Tillanook]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Tillanook
Planning on running some rivers with heavier white water this winter in my new cataraft (North fork Nehalem, Trask River below pennisula) and was wondering if any of you have taken a spill in the river with chest waders on. I'm trying to come up with the best way to keep water out if I ever take a spill.
I plan on wearing a life jacket of course, but whas wondering what else guys do to stay dry.

Hard to beat a tight belt and a good PFD.
Get into a sitting position with your feet downstream to ward off any rocks and angle your way to the nearest bank.
Better yet, don't fall in.

Go with a partner and tell someone your float plan.
Being able to start a fire (or infrared heater) can save yer a$$ after a winter dunking.

#729461 - 12/31/11 10:40 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Direct-Drive]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Tight belt.....will trap the air......PFD and trapped air.....bounce, bounce, bounce..........Think positive..."NO SPILLS".....

Happy 2012.............

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#729463 - 12/31/11 10:44 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: DrifterWA]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
tight belt and don't gulp water, easier said.

#729465 - 12/31/11 11:09 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Brewer]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Like the rest said (aside from KK, who I reluctantly agree with most of the time) a good wading belt will go a long way. If you are wearing a good wading Jacket as well, it is amazing how long you can be up to your neck without getting soaked. I'm there in most mud puddles I step in, so I have experience in this matter. Saved KK the trouble of making fun of me to distract people from his fascination with goats smile
Happy new year.

#729467 - 12/31/11 11:11 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Neal M]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
Basics have been mentioned.

If your going to run the trask below the peninsula, you better be DAM good on the sticks, or practice what has been allready said here.

Rusty Bell

#729468 - 12/31/11 11:19 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: sykofish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: sykofish
Basics have been mentioned.

If your going to run the trask below the peninsula, you better be DAM good on the sticks, or practice what has been allready said here.

Don't they call the downstream take out, Last Chance ?

#729470 - 12/31/11 11:31 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Direct-Drive]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
If there is a reasonable chance I could go for a swim, I put this on...

The Kokatat Supernova is very affordable compared to most dry suits and although it isn't designed for long swims, I have taken quite a few in it and it does well. A little leaky at the neck due to the neoprene gasket, but very minimal. It is quite light and packs around very easily as well. I have fished and floated quite a few long days in it and I would say that it is equally as comfortable as my waders, perhaps more so.

Otherwise, as Neal said, a good neoprene or stretch wading belt, a well fit rain jacket, and a properly fit and functioning PFD is about as good as you are going to do.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#729473 - 12/31/11 11:35 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Neal M]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: Neal M
it is amazing how long you can be up to your neck without getting soaked. I'm there in most mud puddles I step in, so I have experience in this matter.

Couldn't let this little gem go by. It is a hard knock life for most oompa loompa's.

Well played sir.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#729475 - 12/31/11 11:39 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ColeyG]
Yonder Offline
Fry

just wear a belt and have wool socks. dont ask.

#729476 - 12/31/11 11:47 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ColeyG]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

The Kokatat Supernova is very affordable compared to most dry suits and although it isn't designed for long swims, I have taken quite a few in it and it does well. A little leaky at the neck due to the neoprene gasket, but very minimal. It is quite light and packs around very easily as well. I have fished and floated quite a few long days in it and I would say that it is equally as comfortable as my waders, perhaps more so.

Otherwise, as Neal said, a good neoprene or stretch wading belt, a well fit rain jacket, and a properly fit and functioning PFD is about as good as you are going to do.

That looks nice, Coley.
It might lure one into more gnarly stuff, though.

smile

#729483 - 01/01/12 12:18 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Tillanook]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
Planning on running some rivers with heavier white water this winter in my new cataraft
what kind of Cat? is the cat ready to run heavy water? thats what i would be concerned about 1st?

www.badcatboats.com

#729484 - 01/01/12 12:31 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ColeyG]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Originally Posted By: ColeyG

How well does that suit work, Coley, if you capsize the boat while peeing? wink

#729487 - 01/01/12 12:53 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
Originally Posted By: Slab Happy
rofl

www.badcatboats.com

#729489 - 01/01/12 01:08 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Slab Happy

Hmmmm.....I think that's how the Titanic went down.

smile

#729491 - 01/01/12 01:13 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Direct-Drive]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
It is a hard knock life Coley, but we are sturdy, and only fall when stoned or drunk smile I never fall much..... Just have to know when not to take the next step/wade over my head.... wink

#729500 - 01/01/12 01:48 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

I've seen where boldness, tired legs and slippery rocks combine to produce a dandy shuffle or even an upside down turtle.
It's hard not to laugh, and you know if you do, you're next.

#729511 - 01/01/12 06:40 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
but whas wondering what else guys do to stay dry.

Most don't fall in the river, just a guess though.

Wow KK that is excellent advise I"ll try and remeber that. Maybe I should get a float goat. I'm sure you have some experience with those.

#729512 - 01/01/12 06:49 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Rag N Steel]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Rag N Steel
Planning on running some rivers with heavier white water this winter in my new cataraft
what kind of Cat? is the cat ready to run heavy water? thats what i would be concerned about 1st?

The cat is a 12ft two man with welded 1"steel tube framing. Tubes are 20" Maxxons. Its solid enough to handle the water. I grew up on the Trask and have imagined doing the drift for years, just never had the right craft to do it. The NFN is a different story though. Scouted the Jack, King and Queen the other day, unfortunately the flows were at summer levels. I will have to go back and take another look at it now that the water is up.

#729513 - 01/01/12 06:56 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Neal M]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Neal M
Like the rest said (aside from KK, who I reluctantly agree with most of the time) a good wading belt will go a long way. If you are wearing a good wading Jacket as well, it is amazing how long you can be up to your neck without getting soaked. I'm there in most mud puddles I step in, so I have experience in this matter. Saved KK the trouble of making fun of me to distract people from his fascination with goats smile
Happy new year.

That's what I was thinking, chest waders with wading belt (don't have a good one yet) then simms g3 jacket, topped off by a good pfd. I don't think much water is going to get past that. Thought about duct taping the bottom of the jacket to my waders but not sure that will be necessary. I know if you go in your going to get wet, but I just don't want to fill up to my chest with H20.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1150 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |