THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#729515 - 01/01/12 08:56 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Tillanook]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
Tillanook,

I grew up on that stretch of water also. Sounds like you have the rig to run it but I wouldnt attempt it unless the river was at least 8.5'. Even then I would not run the Dam hole.

Good luck out there, I will be taking out at last chance on Monday. All I have is a hard boat and there in no way in hell I am running that water in a hard boat.

Rusty Bell

#729530 - 01/01/12 12:23 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oregon
Well if my waders are full of water it won't matter any way now will it.

#729533 - 01/01/12 12:40 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Tillanook]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I had my 30 seconds of shame on the Hoh a few years back, don't ask how but I went all in a$$ over tea kettle.

I was surprised how little water got in, had on a snug fitting pair of Simms waders w/ belt & my breathable fishing jacket. most of the water was wicked in by my 100% cotton Carhartt hoodie. Hood/neck & sleeves were soaked & keep me cold the rest of that gray February day.

I've sense swapped out to the Under Armour ColdGear hoodie, its perfect for OP winter trips that always include h20 in some form.

c/22

#729534 - 01/01/12 12:41 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
HRYK

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#729542 - 01/01/12 01:43 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Direct-Drive]
Tug2 Offline
Parr

Loc: Tumwater
If I were going to run a river with heavy water where there was more than a slight chance of swimming, I would NOT wear chest waders. Although when full of water chest waders become neutrally buoyant, they are a real challenge to manuver in when they're full - or filling - with water.

If you wear waders be certain to wear a tight wading belt.

#729547 - 01/01/12 02:19 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Tug2]
Satan Offline
I love me

Loc: Around the way
Dude that water below the peninsula is suicide

#729551 - 01/01/12 02:34 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: chrome/22]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: chrome/22
I had my 30 seconds of shame on the Hoh a few years back, don't ask how but I went all in a$$ over tea kettle.
c/22

My most shameful moment was doing the upside down turtle in 12" of water once. I was amazed that the 2 sports on the other side didn't laugh.
They were in heavy, nasty water so I suppose it would have been risky for them to bellow.

#729553 - 01/01/12 02:50 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ParaLeaks]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: Slab Happy

How well does that suit work, Coley, if you capsize the boat while peeing? wink

Haven't pulled that move yet.

I have forgotten to close the relief zipper answering the call though. A dry suit fills up pretty quick.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#729572 - 01/01/12 09:03 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ColeyG]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

KK, good point about being neutrally bouyant. I bet it would take alot to swim to shore while swamped though. Avoiding ending up in the water in the first place is always top priority.

Avid, the water below the pennisula is ugly with the dam hole being the worst. Luckily I'm able to put in right at the dam hole below the chute (at least that's the plan) after that its three of the best chinook holes on the upper river and my favorite steelhead stretch on the coast. Which just happens to be surrounded by private property and rarely gets fished. After that there's a real tight bouldery section which is probably class three. There's only one real rapid of concern in that stretch and its at end of the stretch above a nice slow pool.
Sykofish, would you concure?

#729575 - 01/01/12 09:31 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Tillanook]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Another option for a coat might be one of the Mustang floatation jackets and maybe not need a PFD

http://mustangsurvival.com/recreational/boating

#729577 - 01/01/12 09:50 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ColeyG]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA

I have forgotten to open the relief zipper answering the call though. A dry suit fills up pretty quick...operational definition of a "senior moment".

#729579 - 01/01/12 10:03 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Tillanook]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
Originally Posted By: Tillanook

Avid, the water below the pennisula is ugly with the dam hole being the worst. Luckily I'm able to put in right at the dam hole below the chute (at least that's the plan) after that its three of the best chinook holes on the upper river and my favorite steelhead stretch on the coast. Which just happens to be surrounded by private property and rarely gets fished. After that there's a real tight bouldery section which is probably class three. There's only one real rapid of concern in that stretch and its at end of the stretch above a nice slow pool.
Sykofish, would you concure?

Yep.

Avid knows that section of river.

I plan to be there in the morning. Might be on the upper Wilson depending on water clarity and crowds.

Rusty Bell

#729613 - 01/02/12 12:01 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
The best way to not swim/sink your boat is to go with a proficient rower first, make the judgement call that you are competent to row it yourself, and go with it...a "backup plan" of having a nice life preserver is stupid-retarded.

#729620 - 01/02/12 12:37 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ]
Tug2 Offline
Parr

Loc: Tumwater
Onr quick anecdote asbout float coats/life vests: I swam the upper Kalama years ago in the fly water (took while to get my raft unstuck from a log all the way across the river). I was wearing a life jacket and it worked good except for a little heavy whitewater where nothing will keep your head up.

A few years later the Department of Fisheries bought all of us Fishcops mustang flotation suits. We tried them out that summer by having the Coast Guard take us out and letting us jump overboard by "A" jetty and letting us paddle to the beach. To my surprise the flotation in the legs of the suit floated you horizontally in the water instead of vertically like a life jacket does. With the flotation suit the waves broke over my head and it was not a comfortable feeling. It's very difficult to get you legs under you. So, I vastly prefer a life jacket and would NEVER wear a flotation suit for fishing out of a boat on a river.

#729630 - 01/02/12 12:56 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Tug2]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Good real life example of why it is so very important to test and be familiar with gear that your life may depend on. Great insight Tug and thanks for sharing.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#729635 - 01/02/12 01:21 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: ]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I was thinking the floatation jacket might cover both the need for rain protection and as a PFD.

Something else to keep in mind is to carry some basic survival gear - lighter, knife, energy bar, etc in a waterproof pouch) so you can get a fire going and have some food if you're stuck on the bank waiting for rescue.

#729648 - 01/02/12 04:37 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Tillanook]
Satan Offline
I love me

I was thinking of that nasty stretch below last chance

#729649 - 01/02/12 04:40 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Satan]
Satan Offline
I love me

hey Rusty lets drop your driftboat in at the dam hole. I will get on the sticks,and we will die. rofl

#729656 - 01/02/12 07:33 AM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Satan]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Those flotation coats look nice, not sure I would want to wear one all day while rowing though. I was looking at some of the paddling jackets they make for kayaking and I think they would go nicely over your waders and under a breathable rain coat. There not to bulky, have a gusseted neoprene neck and sleeves to keep water out and at under a $100 bucks wouldn't break the bank.

#729671 - 01/02/12 12:08 PM Re: Falling in river with chest waders? [Re: Direct-Drive]
Fishin Bear Offline
Alevin

I lost a good friend many years ago in the Snoqualmie, he was wearing waders, a loose belt but no PFD, this is a recipe for disaster. He tried to remove the waders without success because water creates suction around your feet making it almost impossible to remove, this left his waders stuck around his knees and sealed his fate. The moral of the story is don't take foolish risks, always wear a PFD and a tight belt, if you go in follow the advice previously posted. Good luck and be safe!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |