Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74758 - 02/14/02 10:30 AM Bugling for El;k
TROUTnSALMON Offline
Fry

Loc: Lacey, Wa
What has everyone experienced as far as bugling for bulls in early season. I seem to only be able to get the raghorns in in the early part. What is everone else's experience?

#74759 - 02/14/02 12:34 PM Re: Bugling for El;k
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I dont bowhunt but a friend does, he tried bugling but he got more people coming in than elk so he switched to a cow call and has had alot more success with bulls of all sizes.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#74760 - 02/15/02 12:07 AM Re: Bugling for El;k
BigShark Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: PDX
Your question could take a book to answer but we will keep it short. For starters the bull of most BH dreams already has the cows and he will move them out before he will fight a brat. Then you have the fact that the cows choose their bull in most cases and will protect him as lookouts unless a bull of VISIBLY equal attributes(size) is present. Thats why busting his cows and waiting for him to come see what the hell did it works for so many hunters. Elk become desensitized
to calls very easy. This is because they are exposed to it by every guy who has a call. The trick to a higher success rate in your hunting is to find an area that has few or no other hunters. Thats a primary reason for most pack-in trips. There is a way to get a little more lucky in the last part of a season. This is when a mature herd
bull looses enough weight and tires enough to be beaten by a rival. There is nothing less cautious than such an animal as he will then fight anything
that sounds like another bull and come in very quickly. Most newer hunters are then convinced they are expert callers and have found the secret formula for success. I have chased these critters for almost 40 seasons with stick&string and thats how I see it anyway. Wish you the best of hunting and make it a passion. You won't be disappointed.

#74761 - 03/04/02 01:07 AM Re: Bugling for El;k
Big Woody Offline
Parr

Loc: Gold Bar Wa
Big Shark, I have to agree with you on getting the Bulls to come in more when you are in a remote area. We went in on Horseback this last Bow season on the early hunt. I called in several Bulls and my bugling is so bad, when I practice at home, all the dogs in the neighborhood start howling. My hunting partners get in my pack before we head up in the woods and loose my bugle. They try going for my cow call , but that's usually in my mouth,so they leave that alone.

#74762 - 03/05/02 02:13 PM Re: Bugling for El;k
FishinFinatic Offline
Fry

Loc: West Linn Oregon
Theres a great book that you can get thats called "ELK TALK" writtin by Don Laubach and Mark Henckel, with introduction by Jim Zumbo, If your new tto the sport this book will be very usefull for you. Or even keep seasoned hunters with ideas and thoughts not to forget. But this book isn't just about calling in elk it aslo talks about an elks life from birth to death. I found mine at GI Joes, for about 17 bucks. Archery is a great sport, I sold my last rifle just a couple days ago. Good luck. Mike

#74763 - 04/08/02 12:35 AM Re: Bugling for El;k
badboy Offline
Alevin

Loc: portland oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by BigShark:
Your question could take a book to answer but we will keep it short. For starters the bull of most BH dreams already has the cows and he will move them out before he will fight a brat. Then you have the fact that the cows choose their bull in most cases and will protect him as lookouts unless a bull of VISIBLY equal attributes(size) is present. Thats why busting his cows and waiting for him to come see what the hell did it works for so many hunters. Elk become desensitized
to calls very easy. This is because they are exposed to it by every guy who has a call. The trick to a higher success rate in your hunting is to find an area that has few or no other hunters. Thats a primary reason for most pack-in trips. There is a way to get a little more lucky in the last part of a season. This is when a mature herd
bull looses enough weight and tires enough to be beaten by a rival. There is nothing less stupid than such an animal as he will then fight anything
that sounds like another bull and come in very quickly. Most newer hunters are then convinced they are expert callers and have found the secret formula for success. I have chased these critters for almost 40 seasons with stick&string and thats how I see it anyway. Wish you the best of hunting and make it a passion. You won't be disappointed.

#74764 - 04/08/02 11:27 PM Re: Bugling for El;k
MCougar Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Throw the bugle away, or leave it at home and master the cow chirp with a diafram call,
the bulls will come running, and not running away.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |