Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#778115 - 08/11/12 02:35 AM A quiet Skok opener.... *****
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Great day on the water! Glad to get away from the hordes of people, have to sacrifice a bit, the fish aren't as bright as the tidewater fish a couple miles down but solitude comes at a price, and on the table these two cut up quite well! A nice yummy tail roast for dinner and the rest goes to the smoker....mmmm garlic and tabasco sweet smoke, who wants some!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuZqYvU_WJY&feature=plcp

#778122 - 08/11/12 09:50 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: On The Swing]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Edgar showed you his secret spot, I see. Well played!

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#778130 - 08/11/12 11:39 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: Dogfish]
tommyhydro Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: evergreen state
nice fish, not so sure I dig the soundtrack....but good video thumbs

#778151 - 08/11/12 02:58 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: tommyhydro]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

thanks guys...sorry tommy, music is such a fickle thing with people, I'll change for the next one just for you smile but for the most part I'm just learning how to edit again and looking for easy beat drops with stuff already on the comp...if only I had the ear and skill for it that Takedown has but hey, its all in fun, maybe you'll like this next one more wink

#778156 - 08/11/12 04:01 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: On The Swing]
tommyhydro Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Can't wait for the next one, being stuck in NJ for the time being, watching all your guys videos kinda makes me feel like I'm back home. I have a weird taste in music anyways. Keep putting them out thumbs

#778171 - 08/11/12 07:15 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: tommyhydro]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Nice going ots. One of the better sound tracks too!

Ya might think about changing yer moniker to On The Bobber though!

fp

#778172 - 08/11/12 07:52 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: fp]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

HA! thanks Fp....it's more of a "way of life" kinda thing though....

...didn't take me nearly that long today for limits and the bobber went down ON camera so here comes another to keep your eyes happy!

~so now I see that some of the timelapse stuff is a bit jerky and I lost a sound clip but I'm just too tired to mess with it now, here is the "rough cut" of bobber-downs, quick limits and solitude on the Skokomish!

..and they say these fish dont bite.. beathead ..Hope yall like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thPWNHkUHSw

Edited by On The Swing (08/12/12 12:44 AM)

#778213 - 08/12/12 12:45 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: On The Swing]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

bump

#778219 - 08/12/12 02:35 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: On The Swing]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Was that the English Pete patented BFS I saw early in the video? Nicely done, again.

#778221 - 08/12/12 03:04 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: Dogfish]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

sorry dog I dont get the reference...and in no way shape or form do I like to have my name in the same sentence as that man, just sayin...i am intrigued though as to the BFS, can you enlighten me?

#778222 - 08/12/12 07:40 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: On The Swing]
tommyhydro Offline
Juvenile at Sea

killer!

#778227 - 08/12/12 10:45 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: tommyhydro]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Bfs = big freakin stick. Also know as fish bonkin stick.
Bfr= big freakin rock. Aka fish bonkin rock.

No offense meant.

Edited by Dogfish (08/12/12 11:04 AM)

#778329 - 08/12/12 09:08 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: Dogfish]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Nice vid OTS. Enjoyed the takedowns.

Where/how do you mount your camera. Have been considering doing something similar on my solo trips.

#778446 - 08/13/12 01:27 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: Eric]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Why do you use such a light rod?

#778453 - 08/13/12 01:48 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: Eric]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Really good job on those!

I used to love the Skok for those bitin' kings.

I got a GoPro over the summer your videos have inspired me, I am definitely going to try to use it some. It has a lot of really cool uses, I used it a bit in Maui.

#778457 - 08/13/12 01:57 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

Solitude is rare these days- good for you for finding a corner of heaven. I suggest not sharing or even hinting about the location at all.

Your video was great, I particularly love the bobber down footage.

beer
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#778525 - 08/13/12 07:14 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: Eric]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

I see dogfish, and yes, right along with the bleeding they get the wood shampoo..although as seen on the second vid there arent always rocks/sticks around, sometimes you just have to imploy the hammer punch!! and no offense taken bud.

Originally Posted By: Eric
Nice vid OTS. Enjoyed the takedowns.

Where/how do you mount your camera. Have been considering doing something similar on my solo trips.

~~ i run the headstrap mount most of the time..angle it down a bit for the shown field of view,(sometimes you;ll see my fingers on the lense and then track the view out to guess at where its looking).. it allows easy access to take off quickly to move to a hand shot, or underwater type stuff..buying another soon, ima mount in on my wading staff...could be cool. BTW, i run the Cyberlink power director 10..consumer reports top pick, and Pisca photo editor, and love them both for features and ease of use.
eric and Fp, i really suggest getting an extra hard drive, i got a external 2 terabyte fantom drive that im really happy with, about 120 bucks..because you'll fill your computer REAL quick.

JTD..believe im right there with you, takes some work to get that kinda stuff outta me...i keep talking to locals who want to keep those f-ing flosser out of some of those areas, the sh!t i usually talks to amounts to "dont let me know your vehicle..my dexter is sharp"..wish there was more we could do...though on my way out I taught two guys how to ACTUALLY fish, tied them up 6 preties, gave them the rest of my 8lb, the rest of my eggs, and a couple bobbers, didnt tell them the hole just what TYPE of water they are in..a buddy down there saw them later walkin out with limits from my gear and said that "that tug is the drug and im hooked"...now lets hope they pay it forward....these were guys CONVINCED that these fish are no longer feeding...hmm, inward pointed teeth and upon cutting, no atrophied stomach, but yeah, these fish dont bite anymore..i dont think they ever really did, HA! hello

Willametteriveroutlaw--
well think about it... the fish have been pounded on, its 60+ degrees at 8am, low clear water...do i need to say more???
people think the fish cant see 20 lb test? i ask can you see a spider web in the air with your eyes?? what makes you think a fish cant see that leader coming at them? It just comes down to an increased hook up ratio(at least for me) the trick is knowing how to work the rod and use the current to your advantage to make the fish work twice as hard, which is something you should learn because it can be used in any river, big or small, notice where the fish is oriented in the fight vs. how my rod is angled and you'll get the point..and to be purist about it woot its make it a more level playin field as far as the fight is concerned....

unless i hook what i can see is a native, then it gets the screws put to it, to get back to the water quickly or get broken off

Edited by On The Swing (08/13/12 07:19 PM)
Edit Reason: forgot the software i use!

#778527 - 08/13/12 07:17 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: On The Swing]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

oh..and rocket red, i LOVE your signature...i'd use it in response to wilamette's equally "impressive" signature..

Edited by On The Swing (08/13/12 07:22 PM)

#778615 - 08/14/12 11:06 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: On The Swing]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
We fish the exact same conditions in early season Oregon tidewater with 40 and 50lb leaders 6/0 hooks and golf ball chunk of eggs. I was fishing springers this year in mid june with 40 5/0 in low clear water with no adverse side effects. The nice thing about big gear is you can rip them out of the hole and not disturb the rest of the fish.

I've caught a couple kings over the years, I find its nice to use the proper equipment so you don't end up looking like you are an imaginary light saber battle with Darth Vader every time you have a fish on.

-BTW congrats on the fish

Edited by willametteriveroutlaw (08/14/12 11:16 AM)

#778622 - 08/14/12 11:36 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

I think there is a difference between tide water kings and the mill-pond conditions OTS is facing and it doesn't matter much how you "look."

His chosen equipment is perfect if he his consistently catching fish and avoiding the flossing mob and if that takes 8# test then so be it.

In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (FleaFlickr02, Excitable Bob), 1086 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |