LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#802617 - 11/24/12 01:49 PM Over and Under or Side by Side the best?
willcfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Many people are using Double Barrels these days. What are your thoughts on them and differences between the two?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxU7i_GVeQ

#802790 - 11/25/12 01:22 AM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: willcfish]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
If your gonna be hunting upland birds, over under
Hands down

#802791 - 11/25/12 01:24 AM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: huntncoug]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

If its not your primary gun a decent autoloader would be
Better

#802792 - 11/25/12 01:25 AM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: huntncoug]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

That 3 rd shell can be a game changer

#802809 - 11/25/12 11:06 AM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: huntncoug]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I don't know why, and maybe it all comes down to personal choice, but I have a side-by-side for waterfowl. Maybe because it is "classic".

My take is that it will come down to how the feels, fits, and probably something in each of our DNA.

Now, for upland hunting, including deer, I'll go for a pump. But, I have never shot an autoloader. I do have two I inherited and might be interested in using the Remington that is of the old Browning design. For pheasants, quail, and doves I seemed to need the third shot but two seems to work well on waterfowl.

There was one particulalry stupid dove that took six shots.

#802823 - 11/25/12 01:12 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: ]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

A narrower sight plane makes leading horizontally moving targets easier- a more common target presentation for our side of the pond.

Shooting driven birds overhead is a different ball game.

I suspect you will rephrase the same exact question in a month or so and this answer is pointless and irrelevant.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#802825 - 11/25/12 01:44 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: JTD]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I suspect you will rephrase the same exact question in a month or so and this answer is pointless and irrelevant.

Damn, JTD........that's a classic!

#802826 - 11/25/12 01:45 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: JTD]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen

Damn, JTD........that's a classic!

#802828 - 11/25/12 01:52 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: ParaLeaks]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

... Pointless... Get it?

I should have added a lawn mower video

smile
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#802845 - 11/25/12 02:36 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: ]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

This guy may not agree but opinions are like...

Ahh well.. You know.

http://www.chrisbatha.com/

#802848 - 11/25/12 02:46 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: JTD]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
a shotgun that fits you is the best

#802850 - 11/25/12 02:50 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: larryb]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

It is an old and pointless conundrum which I suspect is why Wille-Whats-His-Face poised the question.

#802976 - 11/26/12 01:19 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: JTD]
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
an o/u is great when you know from whence the target is coming, ala skeet and trap. sxs for when you don't, ala upland birds and grouse. fit and natural point is the most important factor when considering shotgun configurations.

willy

#802986 - 11/26/12 02:08 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: ]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Blonde, brunette, redhead.

Love them all.....

#803073 - 11/26/12 11:52 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: Driftin']
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
I always liked to kill 3 critters with 3 shots. Most SxS have too much drop on the stock for the average shooter (IMO). Except for wild pheasants, the average flock of "upland birds" presents many willing participants...therefore try to tripple...the birds are taking the chance!

#803078 - 11/27/12 12:16 AM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: Driftin']
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
For me it doesn't matter. I like the balance of an O/U, the classic beauty of a SXS and the ease of an Autoloader but at the end of the day I never knock sh.it down on the 3rd shot (more of a F you shot) and I always 'pump' my O/U or SXS...which makes it a single shot or a well balanced 'F you' classic beauty.

Good luck.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#805417 - 12/06/12 05:38 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: RowVsWade]
Ward Offline
Parr

I grew up using side by sides and, every now and then, my dad's Model 12 pump. I developed a preference for SXS shotguns that is just that, a preference, and not a rational choice.

Anyone who has the chance should spend a day in Sequim at Sunnydell Shooting Grounds. It is sad we've lost Chuck Dryke but his son, Matt, is still there coaching shooters. Chuck used to say his job was to get you to 98% and stuff like choke, gun type and fit were for the last 2%. My last time there with Chuck Dryke for a tune-up was a day I'll never forget and he sure did the job of making me better with a shotgun. Heck, he had me shooting enough in one day to get the barrels of my SXS hot.

#805453 - 12/06/12 06:35 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: Ward]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

I'll cast a second vote for Sunnydell. Fantastic clays venue.

My son was twelve and Matt spend half a day giving him private instruction for free. Imagine- an Olympic Gold Medalist offering free instruction to a kid.

I was sorry to hear about Chuck also. Such a great guy.

#806364 - 12/10/12 04:08 PM Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? [Re: JTD]
sodfarmer Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: sleeping in my duck blind
I have been hunting for 35 years , I have tried alot of different guns but always go back to my 870's . A expensive gun will not make you shoot better But a gun that fit's you ,will . Go to a gun shop find one point in that store and start seeing which gun fits and then go practice.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1089 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |