THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#817364 - 01/23/13 08:12 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. ***** [Re: Dogfish]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Saw several on my round trip to Spoke-aloo today. Breeding season is close...

#817371 - 01/23/13 08:22 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: snit]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Adna
Hey Snit.... Did you and your pals lease the Crab Creek Ranch a mile down Solebeck Rd. back around 2000 or were you the guys over on the ground west of Corfu Rd. ?

#817711 - 01/24/13 09:06 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: Black Bart]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

BB...We were on Corfu. I bailed after 3 years...couple of guys kept in it.

Kushi's place to the south on Crab Creek sucked the majority of the ducks. Flooded corn was hard to compete against............

#817780 - 01/25/13 02:36 AM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: snit]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
added a 22-250 to the safe tonight. Hehehe

#817818 - 01/25/13 11:43 AM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: Achewter]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Originally Posted By: Achewter
added a 22-250 to the safe tonight. Hehehe

We have one of those available to us. I think it weighs in at about 18lbs. Fun watching the bullet hole appear on the target through the scope. It is that stable.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#817834 - 01/25/13 01:05 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: snit]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Snit... I met Jay Kuchie in 1983. What a character. Made tons of money fishing in Alaska. The guy was a duck shooting machine. I do believe he now owns Eagle Laks also. The guy was a maistro with a duck call. I've seen birds cup for him from a mile away just to settle into a barage of airborn pellets. Sweet!

#817851 - 01/25/13 02:04 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: Black Bart]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

I too knew Jay. Man could he party!! Had a gorgeous place out on the bay by Mt Vernon. He was loaded with cash and wanted to kill every duck that was alive. I believe he was a Bristol Bay fisherman. I heard he got the cancer and passed a few years ago.

#817868 - 01/25/13 03:04 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: snit]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Oh boy, that's sad news. We had some great times together.

Old age, it aint for wimps.

Edited by Black Bart (01/25/13 03:04 PM)

#818074 - 01/26/13 09:37 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: Black Bart]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I don't know if I can be decent on this subject.....but I'll try.

I'm not against killing coyotes if there is a real reason to do so. Not an imaginary reason or the age-old "it's not illegal" argument. I'm talking about a situation where there are not opportunities available to teach coyotes to stay away from an area. Old ranchers used to shoot coyotes....with reason. But they did more than that...they hung the carcasses on the fence to warn other coyotes. This proved effective and didn't interfere often with the farmer's regular duties. Rifles then were more tools of the trade back then and were only modestly accurate, so a kill shot was necessary for lasting effect.
Today's nail-drivers could easily teach coyotes all they need to know by piecing an ear or breaking a tail. The non fatal contact could then be "taught" to others, who would then avoid that area. Removing a useful animal, likely feeding young deserves little applause in my book. "Nice shot" is the best you'll get.
So in the interest of being "part of" the animal kingdom, you may choose to leave the carcass when you killed it, so others can see what you've done and hopefully move their litters to safer areas where they will kill hundreds of rodents....instead of none.

This falls under one of those "just because I can, doesn't mean I should" catagories. Kill responsibly.

#818083 - 01/26/13 10:14 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: ParaLeaks]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Tell that to the ranchers who lose up to 60% of their calves due to predation. Seriously, shooting to wound? The time to shoot a yotes is usually about 0.05 seconds when they pause for a brief moment.

#818086 - 01/26/13 10:24 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: Dogfish]
Roy Otis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Coyotes are targets. They are nasty critters that will take advantage of any situation that results in a meal. Kitty, bunny, ankle biter dogs, fawns, birds, etc...I don't believe we can shoot enough of them. No matter how hard we try, they will likely outlast us. The last human on this planet will fall over dead one day, and a coyote will likely be there to eat him. My 22-250 starts whining at the mere mention of yotes.

#818087 - 01/26/13 10:26 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: Dogfish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

I've lost enough birds in the last year to cost me over $3,500 in turkey sales, due to coyotes, and I'm a hobby farmer.

#818097 - 01/26/13 11:53 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: Dogfish]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

My buddy has a cattle spread east of the mountains and each year we try to make a trip over for coyotes before calving season. In March the pelts are still nice and if by removing a few we can deter more, and inadvertently save a calf, so be it.

I don't relish killing anything, and doing so is always with respect, but this is a job that can be enjoyable. Coyotes are far from endangered and make a challenging adversary.

P.S. medicine of choice is .223, .222 or .220 AI. Choices are always nice and having a secondary 12ga with Hevi Shot Dead Coyote handy for the hard chargers.

Edited by JTD (01/26/13 11:56 PM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#818098 - 01/27/13 12:02 AM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: Dogfish]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

I raised 48 free ranging mallards (non flying) with almost zero coyote interference....some owl and eagle action, but not much. Taught the pups each year to stay away....never killed one or fatally wounded it. The coyotes would play with dogs, but stay away from the ducks. Am presently teaching them about chickens.....none lost.

Nasty critters? really! They will do what they are allowed and they will never do anything that is likely to bring them harm.....why?....simple.....they can't afford it.

Most I've met who enjoy killing critters just simply enjoy killing. Hitting a dumb animal between its lit-up eyes has little to do with much more than ego.

I knew going in that it was a no-win situation.....I been there. No offense, just thought I would attempt a different thought to process.

Nasty critters? Boy, you have a long ways to go. They are far from nasty critters.

#818100 - 01/27/13 12:14 AM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: ParaLeaks]
Roy Otis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Nasty would be accurate. I can't think of another predator that does as much damage as coyotes to all types of other critters, domestic or wild. I have lived on both sides of the state and seem them in operation in both places. A slightly injured "educated" coyote will still go breed and make a bunch more coyotes that need educating. That educated dog will just learn to stay away from your place and simply move onto another. I would much rather kill one outright than shoot his tail off or put a hole in his ear.

#818101 - 01/27/13 12:18 AM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: ParaLeaks]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Slabs...when I killed them, and there was a lot of 'em through the decades, I would just let them lay. Like you said, as a warning to the others. Thing is, that simply was not a significant deterant for the ones left sniffin' around with a hard on for a momma cow's afterbirth and then the others in the pack working over the newborn baby cow nearby.

Trust me, even back thirty years, I knew a thing or two about assembling a very accurate bolt action rifle. It's just what I was trained to do. In all that time doing predator control, I never thought about just takin' one ear off to teach one dog in the pack a lesson.

Now, mix that background with more than a few thousand acres of privete land, sharing a common fenceline on three sides by the Columbia National Wildlife Refuge, ..... ground that had not been hunted by anyone with a .25-06 rifle for the previous two decades, well you have a garden of eden for a dyed in the wool varmint hunter such as myself. For every coyote I shot, another one, perhaps two, got a lesson on how to stay alive buy simply being lucky that day.

If you think this is cruel to the coyotes by shooting them dead with a precision rifle as they come to the call, go watch the pursuit channel and watch those guys who run a daily trap line. Damn, those guys even make me fell squeemish.

#818125 - 01/27/13 05:50 AM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: Black Bart]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Something that I feel needs to be done wether it is enjoyed, my fragil little ego needs a boost or not.
I do know it makes my penis feel bigger than when I shoot rats at the dump.
Not to mention I would rather buy another gun and a bag of ammo than a penis pump and I just have to do somthin for the little guy.

Edited by Achewter (01/27/13 03:47 PM)

#818127 - 01/27/13 06:14 AM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: Black Bart]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

BB.....we are not in total disagreement. My only exposure to coyotes and cattle was on my Grandpa's 80 acre farm between Sultan and Monroe and the situation there didn't lend itself to aiming to discourage. We shot and hung 'em on the fence posts.
My shooting range was chicken eggs set on top of fence posts and I could pick them off almost without fail at 100 yards with open sites. I used the remnants as range markers when hunting coyotes. Nothing cruel about clean kills....I'm sure you won't find me saying that. I agree with the trapping comment. I've cut the broken leg off a raccoon after it got entangled in an old fenceline. Don't know if it made it or not, but at least it was free again.
I happen to live on 5 acres now with a few larger parcels adjoining mine, so the option to "teach" is available to me....and it has been working.

Roy....Do the animals move elsewhere? sure....that's the idea. Pretty weak argument, IMO. I don't buy for a second that you kill them to help your neighbors. smile

Anyway, I'm outa here.....wasn't trying to crap on anybody's party....but maybe at some point this discussion will cross someone else's mind, and they'll laugh when they knock that coyote's ear down.

Edited by Slab Happy (01/27/13 06:15 AM)

#818316 - 01/28/13 12:04 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: ]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Can dog food in a bowl in the field works good for yotes....

Son and I sit on the porch and shwack em as they sneak in at night...

For more fun set a tannerite next to the bowl and your rifle in a lead sled... bang..boom... the yotes face peels right off.. grin

It's good fun!!

Edited by Timber (01/29/13 11:45 AM)
Edit Reason: peels not leels!

#818458 - 01/28/13 08:39 PM Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. [Re: ]
grumpyr Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Orygun
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
Assault weapon??????

OH MY.

No Way, Nobody hunts with those evil things.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish Lady, onthefly, overkill45
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 987 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |