Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#818128 - 01/27/13 06:42 AM Seattle gun buy back
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Watched a bit on it on the local news (first mistake).
Saw some incredible throw aways.......one was a "street sweeper".....a collector's jewel of a gun. Twelve gauge pistol gripped 50 round drum on a sawed off......tossed!!
Another dimwit brought his whole inherited arsenel because he doesn't know what to do with them. doh
Most of course were junk, but there were some really big scores as well........and to top it all off, just how likely do you suppose that our streets are safer?

People are scary.

#818135 - 01/27/13 10:38 AM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: ParaLeaks]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

I didn't "see" it but overheard as I was working in the garage that they had someone turn in a rocket propelled grenade launcher. The advertisement was no questions asked but the news report claimed the cops plan to follow up on this and find out the origination and changes in ownership.

Maybe we need a new law that requires RPGs to be registered too?

rolleyes
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#818138 - 01/27/13 10:41 AM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: JTD]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
That long skinny addition I put on the garage won't tip off my Howitzer, will it?
I've been telling everyone that it is an extension pipe for the smokehouse. wink

Edited by Slab Happy (01/27/13 10:43 AM)

#818156 - 01/27/13 01:51 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: ]
Illyrian Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Spokane, wa
rofl Is there anything 1200 yards away in San Francisco? Maybe you need to take a trip to the Mt. Diablo parking lot. Aim toward Oakland.

#818167 - 01/27/13 02:47 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: Illyrian]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

I got down there about 11:30. the line went for blocks. From the types of rigs and drivers I got the impression it was a large number of guys turnin in junk for a profit like I was attemping to. There was 30-40 guys with "cash for guns" signs also. Looks like a few made some deals. The line was moving really slow for something with no forms or paperwork. I just left when I saw the line. Turned out later I wouldn't have made it in anyway.

The picture of a table full of AR's and the like including a street sweeper has been circulating all month.

#818169 - 01/27/13 03:13 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: Dub]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
There were 3 street sweepers turned in yesterday. The RPG was part of a LA buy back last month.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#818170 - 01/27/13 03:16 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: JTD]
redhook
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: JTD

I didn't "see" it but overheard as I was working in the garage that they had someone turn in a rocket propelled grenade launcher. The advertisement was no questions asked but the news report claimed the cops plan to follow up on this and find out the origination and changes in ownership.

Maybe we need a new law that requires RPGs to be registered too?

rolleyes

it was a Stinger Missile (surface to air) tube...they are fire and throw away, but someone brought the tube back and it got away from the base i guess... its completely useless, and as far as i know, they are legal to possess, there are quite a few Military Surplus stores around that have one or 2 on display... i think Seattle Police freaked out when they saw it, havent ever really seen one, and dont know fully if its legal or not... they said on the news that they will be checking with JBLM and if its OK, the guy can have it back... they also gave him a gift card, so he might score twice... its about as usefull as having your grandfathers Air Force Helmet, which doesnt mean you can operate an airplane...

thre were also a bunch of people there that werent with the Police, buying weapons for more expensive cash than they police were giving in gift cards... some people really screwed themselves with some of their weapons... there were some really old collectors guns i saw on the news... oh well, thats the price of stupidity..

#818171 - 01/27/13 03:20 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

eddie, it was in Seattle yesterday, an RPG is alot different than the Stinger turned in...

reading some more, it might not be legal, but the military hasnt really said anything on the subject yet... maybe they are illegal to own, looks like some stores might be losing display pieces, unless they have legal right to own them.. i do know of one that the guy is the curator at a museum, so that may be a little different than joe schmoe with a Stinger tube in his closet..

http://www.king5.com/news/SPD-investigat...-188593001.html

#818189 - 01/27/13 05:22 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
It was a Red Eye missile, predecessor to the Stinger (Red Eye 2). Entirely legal to own, unreloadable, and inert. It was auctioned off by the military. https://www.buymilsurp.com/us-xm41e2-redeye...ert-p-7720.html

One of my buddies went down, bought 13 guns. Snagged an older Winchester lever action .22, and a number of reasonable shooters. For his $1,300 investment, he'll probably clear about $3,000-$4,000 after recouping his investment, assuming the lowest blue book value for each firearm.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#818207 - 01/27/13 07:25 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: Dogfish]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Why'd they give someone dough for an unreloadable rocket launcher? It's not a gun, and at this point is less of a weapon than a shovel.

jfc...............

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#818210 - 01/27/13 07:54 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: Dan S.]
yarnballsdeep
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Why'd they give someone dough for an unreloadable rocket launcher? It's not a gun, and at this point is less of a weapon than a shovel.

jfc...............

No chit? I was thinking the same thing. Will they buy gun cases and knife sheaths at the knife buy back?

#818652 - 01/29/13 05:14 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: ]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

I heard on the radio that Mayor McGinn called the gun buy back a big success because they got 3 streetsweeper shotguns off the streets, but a second later he said it was insane and crazy that a few dozen private gun traders showed up and were buying guns left and right from people that might have otherwise turned the firearms in for Amazon gift cards. The summary report said people with $20 pieces of junk turned them in for $100 gift cards, and gun traders paid $120 or more for good or easily repaired guns that they could later re-sell for much more. All thanks to the good mayor of Seattle, who wants to do this again next month to get useless junk firearms off the street, firearms that couldn't or wouldn't be used in crimes anyway. I've heard other reports that questioned this guy's intellect. No wonder.

#818657 - 01/29/13 05:42 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: Salmo g.]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
I heard on the radio that Mayor McGinn called the gun buy back a big success because they got 3 streetsweeper shotguns off the streets, but a second later he said it was insane and crazy that a few dozen private gun traders showed up and were buying guns left and right from people that might have otherwise turned the firearms in for Amazon gift cards. The summary report said people with $20 pieces of junk turned them in for $100 gift cards, and gun traders paid $120 or more for good or easily repaired guns that they could later re-sell for much more. All thanks to the good mayor of Seattle, who wants to do this again next month to get useless junk firearms off the street, firearms that couldn't or wouldn't be used in crimes anyway. I've heard other reports that questioned this guy's intellect. No wonder.

He was smart enough to put a D by his name in the voter's pamphlet. Nothing more needed to be done to get his name on the mayor's desk in Seattle.

Edited by wntrrn (01/29/13 05:43 PM)

#818658 - 01/29/13 05:48 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: wntrrn]
redhook
Unregistered

those were Cobray/SWD's that were "turned in"... they are labeled a destructive device by the ATF with zero sporting aspects for them... being labeled that, they are extremely hard, and expensive to obtain, just ask Dogfish about the process of owning an AOW, SBR, Silencer, and FA weapon in this state, its not easy, nor cheap...

those guns sell from between 1500-2000 dollars a peice... so there was anywhere between 3500-6000 dollars in just those 3 shotguns, people that own those weapons legally, know they are expensive... would you turn in a 2000 dollar shotgun for 200 bucks?

i didnt think so....

#818661 - 01/29/13 06:16 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

If those were non registered destructive devices, it would be bad to be caught with them. They were legally sold as shotguns initially, but were later classified as DD's. Complete a Form 4, pay for one, send in a check for a $200 stamp and a 6 month wait, and you can own one.

Here is a pic of one guy's haul.

Notice the old school Winchesters and the Savage 99. He broke even with those three firearms. 5 or 6 pistols. Profit!

#818663 - 01/29/13 06:29 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: Dogfish]
redhook
Unregistered

exactly DF, why would someone spend that kind of money, and the time to obtain one, to turn it in for 200 lousy bucks... those guns arent your run of the mill AK or AR, you will be lucky to see ONE in your life if you are just a guy like me (you, BD, RvDub probably have seen more than one)... and all of a sudden, 3 show up to get a gift card?

i dont believe it...

it was probably weapons that the SPD used and showed to say "hey we got these dangerous weapons off the street", but they were actually the Riot Force's shotguns, that were Police issued... thats what those guns were intially buit for, Riot Control and combat.. albeit, the original is the Striker 12, and the Cobray is a low budget (high price) knock off, but still serves the same purpose...

just like the freakout over the "missile launcher"... guy got 100 bucks for it, and is going to get it back when Ft Lewis says "hey, this thing is ancient, likely from Vietnam or in that area, its worthless, we dont even use them anymore".... oh, plus they are legal to own... so now, the police are taking your guns/weapons, giving you a gift card, then giving your weapon back after its deemed OK to own...

L-O-L.... bright idea...

#818664 - 01/29/13 06:29 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

oh, nice score for your buddy, some nice old guns in there...

#818917 - 01/30/13 02:59 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: ]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

I might want to attend the next Seattle gun buy back. Maybe DF will ride with me and help me make a couple good buys.

#818930 - 01/30/13 03:41 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: Salmo g.]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
I might want to attend the next Seattle gun buy back. Maybe DF will ride with me and help me make a couple good buys.

+1!

#818937 - 01/30/13 04:28 PM Re: Seattle gun buy back [Re: Twitch]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Bring your big golf bag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Alpne Dan, bjcarpetguy, red river, westcoastdayton
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 217 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645379 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |