THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 12 of 25 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#885328 - 02/13/14 12:02 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Free_Globbin]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I like and use angler a lot, so whatever riff raff it includes must be OK with me. But please don't tell me you're going to fish those flies with split shot under a Thingamabobber.

Anyway, that's some nice work there, young man. Quite inspiring. I had some free time last night and almost sat down at the vise, but decided instead to watch Olympic skiers go crazy fast down an icy and slushy mountain instead. And besides, I have all that fresh bait you sent me, so I'm good to go when next the rivers drop back into shape.

#885459 - 02/13/14 10:24 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Man you guys. You're all inspiring me to sit down at my messy bench and start tying. I been working on cutthroat patterns for the spring, trying to perfect a rolled muddler.

Sg, I wonder how a ski slope can be icy and slushy at the same time? I agree they're crazy fast. I was on a GS run with Billy Kid some years back. Going out of the starting gate onto a hard slab of ice almost messed my pants. Never again. They're nuts! Fishing is more my cup o tea. I haven't been on a pair of boards in years.

#885494 - 02/14/14 11:24 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: SRoffe]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

SRoffe,

2,500' elevation difference from top to bottom. Cold and icy at the top, warmer and slushy at the bottom. It's 60*F in the daytime in Sochi.

Yeah, these guys got some mad fly tying skilz. My flies tend to be about a half step up from a nightcrawler, which I figure ain't all that bad since fish are partial to nightcrawlers anyway.

Sg

#885517 - 02/14/14 01:53 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Tied these two up last night. Working on a softer, gentler more natural color selection for lower water conditions.

#885534 - 02/14/14 02:59 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: metaladdiction]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Lovely. Nothing wrong with those.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#885599 - 02/14/14 08:39 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Figger out that new camera yet? Laying at home in bed shoulda provided the perfect opportunity for getting it dialed in and reading the manual.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#885602 - 02/14/14 09:00 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
SRoffe,

2,500' elevation difference from top to bottom. Cold and icy at the top, warmer and slushy at the bottom. It's 60*F in the daytime in Sochi.

I didn't think about that temperature / altitude change.

My moto in tying flies, is they don't have to be pretty, they just have to catch fish. I figure the fuzzier, uglier they are, the more effective they are.

#885630 - 02/15/14 12:23 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: SRoffe]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Went out this morning a braved the wind/rain this morning and it was a total fail... got to see my line go from shooting straight out to landing over 45* upstream. EPIC....

Got to see this one swim tho after tying it up on monday for this weekends higher flows...

#885643 - 02/15/14 03:21 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Macro. You don't need no stinkin macro BU. I got a PP photography award with my piece o chit tablet. I wonder if I try to back the camera away if I could get an unblurred photo?

Bantam, just curious how well that little beast swam? Looks like something a big pissed of nate would want to kill.

#885648 - 02/15/14 09:49 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: metaladdiction]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

It flew, it swam and it didnt get lost. Its about to embark another session this morning.

#885657 - 02/15/14 12:30 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Bantam]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Look forward to a positive report. Still debating if I am gonna hop on the boat and go to the show today.

#885706 - 02/15/14 11:26 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Cranked this out last night.

Worked pretty good today considering it is a popper John.... wink

Sorry for the fish pic Coley grin
SF

Edited by stonefish (02/16/14 12:11 AM)

#885708 - 02/16/14 12:17 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Righteous! Looks like a lovely PNW day with lots of liquid sunshine. Awesome photo.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#885713 - 02/16/14 02:02 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Nice! Healthy SRC.

#885719 - 02/16/14 10:14 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: metaladdiction]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
That's a plumper for this early.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#885730 - 02/16/14 01:01 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Stonefish,

That's f'n nuts! Not surprised you had the place to yourself. My wife's fair weather nature must be getting to me. I happily decided to forego actually fishing and opted to visit the fly fishing show in Lynnwood.

Picked up some tidbits like buffs for the next tropical trip in April and some sample flies to copy, like sculpins and saltwater baitfish. Oh and talked with the rep from Sweetgrass and got to play with the rod I took a likin' to when we visited the shop on our last Montana trip. And since I'll only live once, I took the plunge and ordered it. I better get that Spey blank built up that I started a few weeks ago before I get the call that the new grass stick is ready, or Mrs. Salmo will think I've gone off the deep end fer sure. I'm not sure how to merge this with the decision to replace my old fishin' buggy this week. I think I'll try the "0% interest more than offsets the cost of the new cane, right?"

After Bantam dried off from his morning sojourn on the river he dropped by the show, and we drooled all over the Stream Tech raft that was set up in the display. That's a seriously nice ride for water with an ultra huge pucker factor.

Sg

#885733 - 02/16/14 01:18 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

SF,

I'll take 6 of them poppers! LOL

I've got the foam heads, now I know what to do with it. Thanks for the idea.

#885744 - 02/16/14 02:50 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: SRoffe]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Salmo does that stream tech appear to be a rig worthy of fishing all the time. I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on a raft. I have been looking at the Outcast pac 1300, they come with the new nrs frame, but that st looks like the sh!t. I think the only way I could get the ole ladies permission for an 8k raft is to give up my db also. Bantam was drooling over it as we were talking last night. Sorrry for the hijack Coley.

Edited by metaladdiction (02/16/14 02:51 PM)

#885752 - 02/16/14 03:35 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: metaladdiction]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

All good my man. I claim no ownership over what this thread has become so you won't my feelings one bit and I quite enjoy the conversation.

I had a look at those Stream Tech rafts on the web this morning as I hadn't heard of them before. Pretty slick rigs. Looks like a custom tube design by Maravia to go with the stream tech frame. I am sure it would make a great all around ride for the coastal streams though I would wonder about the weight. That frame and components look heavy.

The high rocker on the tubes wouldn't be quite as friendly as the lower profile rafts like the Aire super puma and Super duper puma or Maravia spider which are the best fishing white water rigs out there. With a light load my super duper rows better than some drift boats out there.

I'd be curious to give one I these ST boats a go in some rough stuff and see the width and weight specs on them.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#885770 - 02/16/14 07:10 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I've been thinking about small floating baitfish patterns for searuns.
Here is the first effort.
I used 1/8" parachute foam and reamed a hole in it with a bodkin then inserted the tube.

Here is the first one off the vise.

I used polar chenille for the tail, but I'm not sure I like it.
The red sharpie used from the gills soaked into the foam and seeped under the uv cure I used to keep the eyes on the head.
If anyone has any suggestions or a good floating baitfish pattern let me know.
SF

Page 12 of 25 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 25 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |