Twisting up yarn balls was starting to get to me so I had to take a break and try to remember how to use a vise, some thread, and feathers for a change.

I have always been a fairly utilitarian tier, focusing more on making things that fish like to eat as opposed to trying to make things pretty or in a given "style." I am still not quite sure why, but I decided to have a go at trying to learn a few of the components of traditional style spey flies. I figured it would be a good way to teach myself some patience and attention to detail, neither of which I tend to have in any notable volume.

Obviously I still have lots to learn and by educated standards the flaws are many. Disclaimers having been stated, here is my stab at learning something a little more "traditional."

The Akroyd...kinda.

Alec Jackson 1 1/2 and small oval silver tinsel. I have since switched to med and large tinsel and like it quite a bit better as it doesn't disappear into the body as easily.

Golden pheasant crest parts and pieces.

UV ice dub

Yellow cock hackle or schlappen.

Ostrich to separate the body segments.

Blue eared pheasant spey hackles and black floss.

A turn of mallard flank.

Jungle cock nail feathers for eyes.

And the almost finished product. Forgot to take a final photo after epoxying the head.

A couple of other experiments.

A cheap knock off of Dec Hogan's Skagit mist with an attempt at a married wing.

The white goose shoulder I have isn't quite long enough. Bummer.

Something in Kispiox blue.

I am going to tie a few more to get a little more familiar with the techniques and materials then throw the whole lot in the fire on principle.

Two months still spring. Counting the days.

Anyone else whiling away rainy/snowy days at the tying table?

PS - a special thanks to the banned user who offered expert guidance and perspective. I would mention his name, but it has been forbidden. One day I hope to do you proud.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."