Loc: everett
Ft Casey Special.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#918154 - 01/08/15 09:08 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
A couple of other married wing things. The second is still in process, probably the process of getting recycled.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#918181 - 01/09/15 09:30 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Salmo's fly re-cycling, at your service! Remember that I fish for un-selective trout and other fish that aren't too particular, Coley. I'm still getting mileage from the flies you sent me last year, not that those flies were rejects by any means.

#918541 - 01/11/15 09:37 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

You haven't lost all of those flies yet SG? Either you aren't fishing deep enough, or often enough wink

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#918558 - 01/12/15 09:07 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Definitely not fishing often enough, but what else is new in that regard? And because they're such nice flies, I use them more when I fish higher in the water column. Still I've had to re-sharpen a couple and replace hooks on a couple of the shank flies. Truly appreciated. Now if only I could get a little more steelhead appreciation, as most have been eaten by bull trout.

#918630 - 01/12/15 09:16 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Use em up. I've got boxes worth I'll never fish and always need a good excuse to tie more. Let me know when you're getting low and Ill send you another handful or two.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#921926 - 02/05/15 07:34 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Not really, was really busy finishing up the PS rivers boating season dragon werms for over sized steelhatz in my under aumour ascot

#922228 - 02/08/15 08:11 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

They're probably looking for all them missing shrub picking kids locked up in some Quilbillie goat fvckers basement

#923764 - 02/26/15 06:36 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Hey boys, this my 1st go at a spey, think i might have flair for it. Takes a supple wrist action.....

thumbs

Attachments
IMG_2015022646185.jpg

#923767 - 02/26/15 06:57 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: chrome/22]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
Hey boys, this my 1st go at a spey, think i might have flair for it. Takes a supple wrist action..... thumbs
\

Wow! Give this man an ascot! Nice work, but I don't think that's a "Spey" fly. It's a fly tied in the classic Atlantic salmon tradition, but Spey flies are characterized I think by long palmered hackles, like heron or BE pheasant, etc.

I sitting down to the vise also. I've about run out of the flies Coley sent me, so I need more bait. I got a dozen hooks ready and turned one out last night. I need more self discipline.

#923790 - 02/26/15 09:46 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Pretty impressive there Brad. thumbs

I think our next trip out to the OP we should be swinging that fly in a nice tail out. I'm game,... are you? smile

#923819 - 02/27/15 11:55 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Man I thought you'd out me. I didn’t tie that thing, pulled it off WFF.

I appreciate looking at fine flys, Spey, Atlantic or whatever I just don't have the dexterity or patience. Did make a passible one for Mom, as she asked for a pretty one. But it was STRESSFUL.

Sam when you and Steinbach are yakking about reels @ Water West I'm over fondling the expensive flys, that is after I visit w/ JD out back, of course.

#926467 - 04/02/15 08:57 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Bringing this back up to the top.
I've been playing around with some sandlance tubes.
Post up what you've been cranking out.
SF

#926474 - 04/03/15 08:37 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
fishy looking

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#926706 - 04/07/15 01:32 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Awesome candlefish there Stonefish. A half size version of that is essentially what I use for smolt in the spring, though I haven't tried them on a tbe. Speaking of, it's just about that time again here in the far north.

Haven't had much vise time this winter. I did manage a session or two last week. Twisted up a few intruder types and some more classic looking things.

Need any baits Salmo G?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#926716 - 04/07/15 09:09 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Coley,

Nice work there Coley, as per usual. You know me, never to proud to accept free bait. If you wanna' tie 'em, I love to fish 'em. Makes me appear far more classier on the river than I really am.

I should report that of the shank flies you last sent me, the loops pulled free on 3 of them. Fortunately I discovered it while knotting the fly to tippet and then giving the fly a tug, rather than while fishing it and getting a grab. After the first one, I tested the rest, discovering the other 2. Mind you, I'm not complaining, but you might want to test any that you plan to fish.

A friend of mine secures his hook loops to shanks just with tying thread and super glue and never has them pull free. I've always run the loop through the hook eye and fold it over, giving it a double wrap, which seems to work. But I don't tie all that many in that style, so my sample size is small.

Sg

#926724 - 04/07/15 10:17 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Three blowouts eh? Well that is rather embarrassing. Admittedly, I've been stepping down from what I used to do on the shank/hang back flies, which was lots of thread and super glue on top of doubled over wire or braid. After never having had one fail I started easing off for the sake of tying time, but perhaps I've gone too far the other direction now.

Were the loops that failed braid or wire? Did they fail after fishing them for a while? What did your "test" involve? A hard steady pull?

My bad regardless, just curious as to the nature of the problem as I haven't seen it and thanks for the heads up.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#926855 - 04/09/15 09:14 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Coley,

They were wire loops. They pulled free before I fished them. The "test" was simply pulling on the hook after I threaded it onto the loop, hard steady pull.

Sg

#926888 - 04/09/15 03:01 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Interesting. The bend back in the wire is under quite a bit of tension and I wonder if it loosens the binding thread over time. I am very surprised that the double over wire would pull out even with a moderate amount of thread over top, especially with no junctions in the thread. I am going to dig out a few I've had sitting around for a while and see how they do in the slow pull test. Thanks again for the heads up.

I'll send you a few replacements.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#927418 - 04/17/15 11:28 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Yellow.....the new chatreuse.

Page 22 of 25 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1090 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |