THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#821565 - 02/09/13 12:02 AM Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot)
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Twisting up yarn balls was starting to get to me so I had to take a break and try to remember how to use a vise, some thread, and feathers for a change.

I have always been a fairly utilitarian tier, focusing more on making things that fish like to eat as opposed to trying to make things pretty or in a given "style." I am still not quite sure why, but I decided to have a go at trying to learn a few of the components of traditional style spey flies. I figured it would be a good way to teach myself some patience and attention to detail, neither of which I tend to have in any notable volume.

Obviously I still have lots to learn and by educated standards the flaws are many. Disclaimers having been stated, here is my stab at learning something a little more "traditional."

The Akroyd...kinda.

Alec Jackson 1 1/2 and small oval silver tinsel. I have since switched to med and large tinsel and like it quite a bit better as it doesn't disappear into the body as easily.

Golden pheasant crest parts and pieces.

UV ice dub

Yellow cock hackle or schlappen.

Ostrich to separate the body segments.

Blue eared pheasant spey hackles and black floss.

A turn of mallard flank.

Jungle cock nail feathers for eyes.

And the almost finished product. Forgot to take a final photo after epoxying the head.

A couple of other experiments.

A cheap knock off of Dec Hogan's Skagit mist with an attempt at a married wing.

The white goose shoulder I have isn't quite long enough. Bummer.

Something in Kispiox blue.

I am going to tie a few more to get a little more familiar with the techniques and materials then throw the whole lot in the fire on principle.

Two months still spring. Counting the days.

Anyone else whiling away rainy/snowy days at the tying table?

PS - a special thanks to the banned user who offered expert guidance and perspective. I would mention his name, but it has been forbidden. One day I hope to do you proud.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#821575 - 02/09/13 12:48 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Getting all old school on us Coley! What's next? Some old school fishing sessions with Salmo and KK cigars, scotch, and ascots is the standard attire during the function. Get your delta line spooled up! LOL

Just messing with ya Coley! They look good! You should send me down some and fish em until your iced over motherland thaws out for you get to put them to good use.

#821577 - 02/09/13 12:50 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Bantam]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Those shall be the "Coley Classic". I'd be proud to swing one of those flies at the end of my line.

#821586 - 02/09/13 01:18 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: SRoffe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Remind me of your address Sam and I'll send you a few. I have no use for such things smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#821657 - 02/09/13 01:52 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
The things one can do when there's no cable and the weather is crap. wink

Nice examples of your creativity at the vise, CG....

#821665 - 02/09/13 02:34 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Driftin']
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Coley,

I tied a dozen basic bait patterns yesterday as I've been running low. I'm not proud, and rather than you throwing your flies in the fire, I'll pay the postage for you to send them to me. I've been known to fish flies I salvage off of gravel bars, sharpen the hook, and then catching the steelhead of my lifetime on said fly.

BTW, good looking work, and way more elegant than the bait I've tied up over the last week.

Sg

#821678 - 02/09/13 03:33 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Beautiful, Coley! As others have hinted, the reason I don't tie a lot of that stuff is the time and patience required; I find I'm usually short on both when I sit down at the vice, cuz that generally only happens when I'm going fishing the next day. That said, I like fishing that style of fly a lot. They are a dream to cast (next to bunny leeches and weighted stuff), and they "swim" in a way that gives a guy confidence in that the fish will at least notice them. A traditional Spey pattern on a dry line makes a 6-wt. Spey rod very, very happy, and that hides a lot of my casting faults, thereby making me feel better about what I'm doing. I plan to spend some serious time doing that sort of fishing next fall when the Chehalis is choked with nets for three weeks straight. I have neglected the fall steelhead fishery in recent years, trying to get the coho dialed in. Not this year. Thanks for the inspiration and another great post!

#821691 - 02/09/13 05:33 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
rather than you throwing your flies in the fire, I'll pay the postage for you to send them to me.

Interesting offer and one I might take you up on. Though you'd have to promise to coat them in shrimp scent and egg goo and drift fish them in exchange.

smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#821711 - 02/09/13 08:07 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
rather than you throwing your flies in the fire, I'll pay the postage for you to send them to me.

Interesting offer and one I might take you up on. Though you'd have to promise to coat them in shrimp scent and egg goo and drift fish them in exchange.

smile

sick

#821842 - 02/10/13 12:54 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
What Offline
Spawner

About a week ago I made a plan to tie 6 shanks one day, 6 tubes the next, same pattern and colors each session, alternating days to keep things simple. (Basically fill up the boxes before the 15th.)
Since making the plan I've tied a total of 3 tubes and 3 shanks, dropped off and wrapped 3 rods instead...looks like I should be begging for a trade in services!

Nice ties Coley.

#821992 - 02/11/13 02:09 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: What]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Sorry Coley, no can do. Shrimp scent and egg goo are regarded as bait, even on flies, and bait is not allowed under the Selective Fishing Regulations. Ya' wouldn't want me to be "outlaw" fishing, now would you?

#821996 - 02/11/13 02:35 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Adna
ColeyG... very nice! Never used such nice looking lures to fish with. Never had the patience I guess. I have tried over the years to create all kinds of spinners and such but nothing I ever made looked as nice as what you have going on. Thanx for the photo essay. I liked it!

Edited by Black Bart (02/11/13 08:10 PM)

#822205 - 02/12/13 02:32 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Black Bart]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

It's only a problem if you get caught SG. And I prefer the term "renegade style" to outlaw.

I was hoping a few others might share their latest inspiration, project, or wild hair. I get bored easily and am always looking for something fun to copy.

Anyone have a good General Practitioner recipe + example? Also interested in Lady Caroline but have yet to research either.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#822218 - 02/12/13 08:56 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Other than trying to finish repairing a rod for my father, I am researching shrimp patterns for sea run cutts in the salt.

Last year I was looking at the Crazy Charlie, and thought that a similar pattern would world for SRC. I tied one up in pink, smaller hook, and played around with it last summer. I'd like to refine the pattern.

I haven't had the patience to sit down and experiment with steelhead patterns. They're a work of art. I'm kind of the utilitarian fly creator, just looking to get the job done.

#822251 - 02/12/13 12:00 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: SRoffe]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Coley,

Going renegade style could have some negative repercussions in my line of work, so I guess I'll have to pass on those beautiful flies.

A picture of my fly boxes, if I had one, would be totally non-inspirational. Utilitarian like Sam says. Sometimes I'm inspired to tie nice flies, but fishing takes its toll. One cast, snag, snap, gone. Back to tying basic bait to get the job done.

Sg

#822263 - 02/12/13 12:38 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Coley,

Going renegade style could have some negative repercussions in my line of work.

Sg

Mine as well Steve. Kidding in each case, scent and law breakin. I might still have your address lying around. Between you and Sam, I could you a photo or two of one of these things stuck in a steelheads craw.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#822350 - 02/12/13 05:34 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Address for condo or the new house? You may have heard about me and photographs while fishing . . . sometimes I do have a camera with me . . . not that much good comes of it.

#822373 - 02/12/13 06:48 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

Works of art as usual. No self respecting fish would ever think to spit one of those out!

#822682 - 02/14/13 12:46 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Coley,

Going renegade style could have some negative repercussions in my line of work.

Sg

Mine as well Steve. Kidding in each case, scent and law breakin. I might still have your address lying around. Between you and Sam, I could you a photo or two of one of these things stuck in a steelheads craw.

Sheesh, that means I have to go fishing. Have a trip to Forks in a few weeks planned. I wish I could have got a picture of the Jig you made in a steelheads craw, but, I slipped, fell on my butt, and broke off.

#822700 - 02/14/13 02:21 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: SRoffe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

So it goes Sam. At the end of the day, if you have a good story or two to tell, you are doing pretty well for yourself. The Akroyd army is coming along. Need to crank out a few more then get a few small care packages in the mail. Small in content, not in care of course.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 ... 24 25 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |