LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#861623 - 10/08/13 12:08 PM Sighting in a scope.
JPbarbless Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle
My son decided to have some work done on his gun. After he got it back we went to the range to sight it in, He brought limited amount of ammo 20 rnds. We could not even come close to getting on paper. We were shooting at 100 yrds. We are going back on Wednesday. I was thinking of getting a laser bore sighter to do some adjustments prior to going to the range. Any one have any suggestions. Thanks JP

#861626 - 10/08/13 12:11 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: JPbarbless]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Start closer, like 25 yards, and a large target. That's how I do it when I mount a scope or other optic for the first time.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#861634 - 10/08/13 12:30 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: Dogfish]
Chad Lukehart Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sedro Woolley, WA
Super steady rest, prefer a vise type rest so no movement. Lock in place, open bolt and eye down the barrel to the bullseye, adjust the scope to match where the barrel is directed. Fire one round and without moving the gun, adjust the scope to the hole in the target.
Done!

#861654 - 10/08/13 02:15 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Some folks lack a vise type of rest, but using my 25 yard method I can usually get the rifle sighted in about 3-5 rounds, and adjust with 2 or three rounds at 100 yards.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#861658 - 10/08/13 02:52 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: JPbarbless]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Perhaps the Boy Scout motto applies? wink

Consider playing with JBM *before* you go to the range. Adjust for temperature/elevation at your local range and then adjust to alpine deer/elk at 5,000 feet elevation and 20F to see what's what. Also, try a 100 yard zero and compare to a 250 yard zero. Unless you are shooting a round that has the trajectory of a mortar, use a 250 yard zero set for your local range. BC and MV data are available from most manufacturers on their web site. The program will give you how many inches you'll need to be high at your 100 yard outdoor range. Likely 2-3 inches high at 100 and the same amount low at 300. Now you can confidently take a poke at shoulder/lungs with POA = POI from 0 - 300 paces without adjusting for drop.....

#862167 - 10/10/13 08:40 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: Driftin']
YBD
Unregistered

Had to do as dogfish mentioned last season. Had a bore sight botching from hell. Done by Bobs. Started close and realized it needed bore sighted again and was good. I fired zero shots during the season so it was a real life saver.

#862224 - 10/11/13 10:49 AM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: ]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
laser bore sighter...

#862261 - 10/11/13 01:35 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall

My quail motto. "If you don't shoot well - shoot lots"

#862286 - 10/11/13 03:05 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Bore sight it at 25 yards to hit the paper. 1 round down.

Adjust your scope accordingly at 25 yards. 2 rounds down.

Fire a 3rd round with your adjusted scope and your 3rd boolit should be pretty damn close to dead on where you need it to be at 25 yds.

Consult your JBM ballistic chart and adjust your scope to whatever your sight in range is. Try 250 yards. wink

Boolit #4 just confirms your shot at 250.

Boolits 5-20 are just because you are at the range and it's damn fun to shoot that metal clanger at 200 yards and you need to burn up last year's hunting ammo wink

Boolits 21-550 are because you brought the M1 Garand, the M1A, the Ruger R516, and the AR-10 and felt like going all zombie mode at the range. Damn metal clanger really pisses me off. wink

I hate sighting in scopes. WAY too expensive for me. laugh

#862404 - 10/12/13 10:34 AM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: ]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
laser bore sighter

#862517 - 10/12/13 11:35 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: Timber]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
All great tried and true suggestions so far but I'm curious to the "work" that was done to the rifle?

j7 2012

#863474 - 10/17/13 10:32 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: j 7]
JPbarbless Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle
The gun needed to be reblued due to wear and tear . Now a question off topic. The boys had good success . They each got a buck .Now I need to clean the blood and guts off my gortex rain gear that I let them use. What is the best thing to use with out ruining the rain gear. Every time I have washed the stuff in the past it was ruined and no longer as water proof as it was when new. Thanks JP

#863570 - 10/18/13 02:30 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: JPbarbless]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Nikwax waterproofing laundry soap, followed by the spray on Nikwax waterpoofing.

The soap will clean the GoreTex, and while the stuff is still wet you spray on the waterproofing spray, then throw it in the dryer. This will make your waterproof clothing brand new, I do it with all my raingear once per year.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#863715 - 10/18/13 10:06 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: Todd]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
What Todd said, with a few more details.

Getting your high end Goretex shell back into primo shape is a multi-step process starting with the cleaning, then the re-upping of the DWR (durable water repellant) finish on your garments exterior.

For the cleaning Nikwax makes a product called "Tech Wash" which is basically a Goretex friendly soap. You can get by with a mild commercial detergent but the problem with most of these is that they leave a residue on the fabric which can clog the porous Goretex material messing up the functionality of the waterproof-breathable membrane.

Once you have run your coat through the wash using the "Tech Wash" to clean it, use a product such as Nikwax's TX Direct (wash in or spray on) which restores the water repellant finish to your garments outermost layer.

Although there is really no harm in having the shell material on your coat "wet out" as long as your membrane is functioning, most of us get a warm fuzzy from seeing water bead up and run off as opposed to soak into the outside of our coat.

Gore's Revivex product is another option for the DWR coating. In each case, follow the directions on the label. All products should be available at your local outdoor store such as REI.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#864037 - 10/21/13 01:17 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: ColeyG]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I just did the Tech Wash thing recently and was blown away at the amount of dirt that came off. I did the whole process in a 5 gallon bucket (a couple gallons of water, right amount of Tech Wash, soak, agitate, rinse, rinse, rinse).

I also opted to do a down jacket and down sleeping bag with a similar product designed for washing down. I can't believe the amount of loft I got back, particularly in the 10+ years dirty sleeping bag.

A very worthy investment.

#864047 - 10/21/13 01:53 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The stuff literally makes your waterproof items act and feel brand new.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#866272 - 11/01/13 03:25 PM Re: Sighting in a scope. [Re: Todd]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Yep.What Todd & ColeyG said. I do this once a year on all my stuff.Follow the directions.Good luck,
SZ

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1075 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |