Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87372 - 03/10/00 12:39 AM What Line?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know what line to use, a bunch of people told me to use Fireline, but I didn't like that. What kind do you use? Mono or Braid? What Brand?

Thanks,
BEn

#87373 - 03/10/00 12:51 AM Re: What Line?
fishaday Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo,WA.
What are you fishing for Ben??
Fireline and other braided lines work awesome for blackmouth and saltwater fishing. They have little to no stretch and make bites more readable at deeper line depths.
I fish with real light line for steelhead on a 10 1/2' noodle rod, typically 6-8# test.

practice C&R

#87374 - 03/10/00 01:07 AM Re: What Line?
mutha goose Offline
Alevin

Loc: olympia wa
The line you use needs to be dictated by the fishing situation. I like to use the superbraids when fishing from a downrigger or when jigging for bottomfish. The extremely low stretch allows you to detect a strike or pickup when you have a lot of line out. The smaller diameter to pounds test ratio also allows for less drag on the line. However, I always use 8-10 feet of mono between the superbraid and my gear. I feel its gives me a little bit of "shock-absorber" when I have someone down there shaking their head. I also find that it gives me a little bit of forgiveness when setting the hook. When I first started using the superbraids I found I was setting the hook too hard and with zero stretch I believe I was actually ripping the hooks out of the fishes mouth. Another good use for the superbraid is float fishing on the river. I feel that the superbraids float better than mono lines and are easier to mend when working a float. It's also easier to pick up the slack line when setting the hook because it doesn't stretch. However, be sure that your drag is set proper. The line will come tight quickly with no stretch a tight drag can quickly rip the hooks out of a fishes mouth during an aggressive take down and hook set. There is no forgiveness in these lines. For most other river and lake fishing conditions I still use a good quality mono. such as Trilene or Maxima.

#87375 - 03/10/00 04:59 PM Re: What Line?
Scott Doherty Offline
Fry

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa.
FishinBen, Not sure what your fishing for but I would assume either salmon or steelhead in which case I would recommend mono, my preference being Maxima but there are many quality brands available. I do alot of ocean fishing for halibut and other bottom dwellers and I really like T.U.F. line or even better T.U.F.plus these braided lines are extremely strong with little stretch. I've tried braided lines for salmon but I didn't care for it, one problem was double headers (2 on at once) if these lines touch with tension on them 1 breaks almost immeadiately even worse if braid and mono cross. Another problem was that I change my mainline quite frequintly (every 2-3 weeks) during the summer season, and since I fish 4 rods this gets expensive, hope this helps, good fishing.

#87376 - 03/10/00 05:26 PM Re: What Line?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a tried and true Spiderwire fan. I have fished salmon, sturgeon, and steelhead with this line. Although it is more costly than the others it performs much better. I have used Tuff Line, Tuff Line Plus, Fireline, and the new Proline. The biggest difference to me is that the Spiderwire is 100% Spectra 2000. This makes this the strongest as well as the thinist of the bunch.

Don't let anyone tell you that the diameter is not much different. While sturgeon fishing I use 60lb (15lb mono diameter) Spiderwire, my buddy uses 60 lb Tuffline. Why is it that under normal conditions he has to use 10 to 12 ounces of lead when I can get by with 8 oz? While trolling for coho and chinook out of Illwaco I use the same line. My buddy uses 25 lb mono. I use less weight when mooching, and when using divers the smaller diameter allows the bait to get much deeper than his with less line out. This has resulted in many more hookups on my rod.

When I pull plugs in the river, I use 30lb.(6 lb mono dia,) When a fish hits it's game over. I have yet to have one come off. This includes silvers, kings as well as chums. My vote...Spiderwire (moss green). With the Proline coming in second. 80 lb Tuff Line makes great sturgeon leaders. The Tuff Line Plus is awfull. I know of two local sporting good stores that have sent back there stock because of complaints from customers. Good luck..

[This message has been edited by Paranoid1 (edited 03-10-2000).]

#87377 - 03/10/00 07:31 PM Re: What Line?
Scott Doherty Offline
Fry

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa.
Paranoid 1, I've got 4 Penn reels, 2 spooled with tuf and 2 with tuf plus, the line has been on these reels for 4 seasons of abuse on my charter boat in Alaska and I have yet to have any kind of failure with either line, a number of other guides I work with say the same, I like it, I think I'll stick with it.

#87378 - 03/11/00 01:32 PM Re: What Line?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm fishing for salmon in Puget Sound around the colvos passage. I also cast off shore a bunch for sea run cutthroat.
Thanks,

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |