THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#905025 - 09/05/14 05:01 PM How often do you use the internet to go FISH?
Mergantroider Offline
Professional Tveecher

Loc: Oahu, HI /Olympia, WA
Im writing a blog post about catching more fish. The first 4 out of 5 points are about the internet.

Got me thinking though....i dont use it much anymore. Once everything is dialed in you just consult your journal, river flows, and dates.

But to the up and coming fisherman its essential. How many of you still do google searches on techniques, reports, river flows, and such? Or do you just get up and go to the river you always went to ?

im trying to figure out how savvy the average fisherman is on the internet and whether i should offer more detailed info on sites or if the average guy is googling it and making it happen.

#905032 - 09/05/14 05:32 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: ]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Merg, you should use the internet to find yourself a real job.

#905036 - 09/05/14 05:53 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: ]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
Google maps to scout launches and locations. Believe it or not, WDFW's website has a lot of information about river launches. NOAA charts for the Columbia and Snake for scouting. Blogs or cameras sometimes if I question clarity. River gages depending on the river.

Now if I could figure out how to mount downriggers on my drift boat so I could properly run superbaits, I'd be set.

Edit: How to burn infinite hours learning about fish: http://www.cbr.washington.edu

Edited by Swifty27 (09/05/14 06:20 PM)

#905038 - 09/05/14 06:01 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: Swifty27]
Mergantroider Offline
Professional Tveecher

Reefskunk. Thanks for the tip. Ill write that down in my book "How to be a loser" it will have coloring areas, puzzles. right up your alley or the alley your currently working this week. bahahahahahah. i love you idiots sometimes. Always bringing me up when im feeling down.

Google maps....yeah for sure for scouting new launches. Ill have to add that in another blog post. Believe it or not i saw a DB with donwriggers on it recently...it may even have been out at Buoy 10

SteelSpanker.....The "Hair" Guage....you may be on to something : )

#905045 - 09/05/14 06:44 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
About as often as I read fishing blogs.

#905047 - 09/05/14 06:51 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: ]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Not me!
I always just go on Facebook and ask for a handout, blowing up every little trickle this state and fellow anglers try to keep secret rofl

blogs and the like are a double edged dagger as you already know..i see that you write more about technique and how to find your own secret spot and I applaud you not giving many hand outs..

On a side note..i saw this idiot down on the skok the other day and checked out his website that has membership complete with text alerts to "when the salmon are in" . The dude was a total tool and as I suspected his site solidified my assumption..gives up way too.many secret waters with no disregard and usually seems to promote flossing as the number one technique.

Lunkersguide.com is his joke of a site...don't be like him merg wink

Edited by On The Swing (09/05/14 06:52 PM)

#905049 - 09/05/14 06:55 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: On The Swing]
bhudda Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: S River central
I just go to NW steelhead junkies:)

#905056 - 09/05/14 07:30 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: bhudda]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Yea..that site and fishing wa state.

Nothing but grade A fishermen with tons of great knowledge beathead

#905057 - 09/05/14 07:36 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
About as often as I read fishing blogs.

This.

I check the weather, sometimes.

I check the tides if I think it matters for that day in the salt.

I check river levels if it has rained much.

Otherwise I just go fishing whenever/wherever and adjust my technique either to the conditions, or to whatever I feel like fishing with that day, conditions be damned.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#905059 - 09/05/14 09:12 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: Todd]
Mergantroider Offline
Professional Tveecher

Vedder, todd....obviously you old buzzards are not the "average" fisherman. smile You old salt dogs don't read blogs but a few million people do everyday. : )

#905061 - 09/05/14 09:28 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: Mergantroider]
FinChaser Offline
Fry

Loc: Wasilla, AK / Bellevue, WA
Merg,

I'll echo what a few others have said. I use the internet for tides, weather, river levels, and such when I feel the need to. Not as much for technique. Though I feel pretty comfortable employing many techniques, I do get online and do some research before I hit a new body of water for the first time. Each river (or lake, bay, etc.) has it's own nuances. Some of those can be learned through other's reports, but many have to be learned first hand.

Scott

#905065 - 09/05/14 11:17 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: FinChaser]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
I come here for entertainment I go to the water to fish

Instinct

#905082 - 09/06/14 10:09 AM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: Coho]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I use it for all of the above mentioned items, but also for technical support and gear purchasing. New species and methods for targeting the same; refreshers on my knot tying; how to tie certain fly patterns (or prep materials); gear reviews and buying; how to do this and that...

What I don't use it for is getting accurate fishing reports or hot spots.

#905088 - 09/06/14 11:30 AM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: ]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Never.
I don't even give a [Bleeeeep!] what the weather is going to be like.
I just go.

#905097 - 09/06/14 02:33 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Learned about pink worms and twitching from here. The other day I was trying to get my cure. I remembered a hint I got a while back and by searching the internet I was able to pin point what my eggs may be missing. I still need to find one ingredient that I can't find locally, so I will need to find a site that sells it.

Then, dam counts. Tides, google earth to run a river and look for hidden bends or holes. Planting numbers.

If I am planning on fishing a new river that is not local, I will sometimes look at posts from previous years to see when the peak appear to be happening. I still think about running down to the Gray to look for stray springers.

#905101 - 09/06/14 03:28 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: Krijack]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

the only thing ive learned from the internet is that there is a bunch of assholes on it...

i do check flow charts when i havent been down for a day or 2...

with that said, im goin fishin....

#905141 - 09/06/14 09:38 PM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Fishyfeller Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa
When I fish the Straits the only thing I look for is wind forecasts, and current tables in the area I am fishing. If I cant find currents then I settle for tide tables. The one thing I learned quickly in the straits, is low/high tide do not always coincide with current direction. Knowing which way the currents will be flowing helps me to save time in deciding where I am going to start fishing, when and what direction.

Edited by Fishyfeller (09/06/14 09:41 PM)

#905153 - 09/07/14 12:35 AM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: ]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

I hope to see photo essays and stories from a few people here about places I wish to visit or am unlikely to go. Not many of those anymore.

And tides, weather or currents is about it.

#905156 - 09/07/14 01:13 AM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: Dub]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Frankly, I don't know how anyone could possibly fish without the internet.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#905162 - 09/07/14 06:06 AM Re: How often do you use the internet to go FISH? [Re: 5 * General Evo]
LocalTalent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Evo
i do check flow charts when i havent been down for a day or 2...

with that said, im goin fishin....

Got the day off, eh?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |