Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#907564 - 09/26/14 07:59 PM Wyoming Cutt-Slam
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Just got back from two weeks in western Wyoming. The fishing part centered on filling out the Cutt-Slam, whereby you catch four of the native cutties; the Colorado River, Bonneville, Snake River, and Yellowstone.

Started in Fish Creek, south and west ,of Big Piney. It is a small stream that was hammered by a fire four years ago. It looked like there had been no spawning since then n due to silt. We got 4 that were 11-12", no little ones.

Next day went to Smith Fork, in the Bear River watershed. Stream was bigger and cleaner. We got 5 there, from about 5-15.5". Mostly on dries but the biggest was on a little dropper.

Couple days later we floated the Snake. Lots of fish up to 16 and may have missed few larger. All on dries. Even got a few (including the biggest) where we cast to specifically rising fish.

Although we already had Yellowstones they were small. So, we went to Joffee Lake and hit a bonanza. Each got about 20, in the 10-12" range. They were accompanied by a few Brookies in the most amazing spawning colors I have ever seen.

#907567 - 09/26/14 08:19 PM Re: Wyoming Cutt-Slam [Re: Carcassman]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Nice, this has been on my list of things to do for several years. I just don't put in on my calendar to do it...same thing with the Dean. But I hope to do both within the next couple of years.

#907569 - 09/26/14 08:26 PM Re: Wyoming Cutt-Slam [Re: The Catcherman]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

It was fun. The streams, and where the fish hold, are different from what I am used to. Guess I am most familiar with streams with defined pools, rocks, and such. There was a lot of fish holding in seams, where faster water flowed by slower. Up to 7 different cuts, more to go!

#907610 - 09/27/14 01:02 PM Re: Wyoming Cutt-Slam [Re: Carcassman]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
That's awesome - nice report Carcassman. Post some pics if you got em'.

Wyoming is crazy good. I implore you to check out the Wind River Range for your next trip out there. It's simply obscene with Cutties up to 5 - 6 pounds with some BIG Goldens and Brookies to boot.

IMO - High country fall Brookies in full spawning colors are probably the prettiest fish in North America.

#907615 - 09/27/14 01:31 PM Re: Wyoming Cutt-Slam [Re: NickD90]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: NickD90
IMO - High country fall Brookies in full spawning colors are probably the prettiest fish in North America.

Had the pleasure of meeting some of those neon WY Brookies at an alpine lake before punching an elk tag. Wouldn't argue your point....

#907666 - 09/27/14 10:42 PM Re: Wyoming Cutt-Slam [Re: Driftin']
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I'd post some pics if I could figure it out. We'll be going back to try some more streams.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1060 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |