LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92202 - 07/08/00 01:27 AM Loomis poles?
Aerofly Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle
I have several gl3 str1025s and the 1025c.
I just broke the tip on my 1025c and paid the $ 45 for the exchange, the question is the new pole I got back from loomis had fuji reel seats instead of the loomis logo and their was and extra guide. Also the first 6 guides were heavyier style with taping on the top and bottom and the uper 4 were the single taped is this normal or is this a faulty job?

#92203 - 07/08/00 02:51 AM Re: Loomis poles?
steelie67 Offline
Fry

Loc: the dalles or.
Loomis is a joke anymore ... I have a couple IMX`s and they pulled that same crap on me . You would think that you pay $350 for a rod they would take care of you , but nooooo.. They wanted to charge me $80 for my 1082c , until i called and bitched . I think i ended up paying $40 , and i wasn`t happy about that . Then i get my rod back and theirs no rosewood reel seat . So i call em and they say they had problems with the rosewood seats , BULL S#$$ their just cutting cost and were still paying the same price . They did this to me on 2 rods .. If anybody from Loomis reads this , I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER !! Lamiglas has my buisness now .. They don`t seem to have any problems replacing your rods .

#92204 - 07/08/00 11:16 AM Re: Loomis poles?
EricW Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Aberdeen,WA
Seems interseting to me that these accounts are coming into play since G. Loomis sold out to Shimano a couple years ago. The way I heard it, Gary Loomis would only sell if he could be assured the integrity of the company would be maintained......sounds like he got screwed too.

These stories are unfortunate. I still have fond memories and accounts in dealing with the "pre-Shimano" G. Loomis but if the above accounts are true and they really are beating around the bush, then a switch in manufacturers(other rod builders) and thus, a shift in sales, might open their eyes.

Get the straight scoop from a GLoomis rep. before you pass final judgement though. There are usually 2 sides to every story and if their explanation is lame...switch!

#92205 - 07/08/00 12:40 PM Re: Loomis poles?
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
EricW-Gary Loomis didnt sell out to Shimano. Shimano bought into loomis it wasnt a sell out.

But you guys are right they are making there rods a little different.I had a 1025 with an offset handle and when I exchanged it it didnt have offset.If you guys would let them inspect your rod and see if it was a factory defect you wouldnt have to pay the 40 to 50 to have it replaced.The thing is a guy cant expect them to replace something that has been fished for years and wore out.That wouldnt be very good bussiness would it? As far as switching to lamiglass thats like Trading your Ford Expedition for a VW bus.

areofly-The guides are not taped they are they are put on with a rubbery adhesive tied with thread and then a thread finish over that.The double foot on the lower and the single foot on the upper is normal and they have been that way for quit some time.

[This message has been edited by Timber man (edited 07-08-2000).]

#92206 - 07/08/00 01:44 PM Re: Loomis poles?
steelie67 Offline
Fry

Loc: the dalles or.
timber man , I don`t have a complaint about the quality of the rods , its the warranty i have a problem with . Why am i paying the bucks for a Loomis , when i can pay half the price for Lamiglas , which is ABOUT the same quality and have no problems getting it replaced , NO QUESTIONS ASKED ... I thought when i was spending that kind of cash i was getting some kind of warranty . Before Shimano came into the picture , i didn`t have any problems . send it in get it back no problem . Rods brake i know that , and i know that you have to baby Loomis rods . But for money thay ain`t worth it .

#92207 - 07/08/00 02:59 PM Re: Loomis poles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have always found big business, that becomes a form of oppression, distasteful at the least. Just Like Sony TV's and Nike shoes before them, G Loomis first put out the top engineering and quality control procedures in place. Great rods. Then, as with Nike and Sony also, came the multi million/billon dollar ad campaigns and overhyped image creation that their products were so superior that you were really left hurting if you didn't dish out more than you could afford in order to have them. This American way is a proven formula. It works on a majority of consumers. Then when the reputation and sales bases are intact and sustaining the sales growth, they reduce manufacturing costs which causes a less superior product and warranty backing! Then they are making a killing with a grotesk profit margin. It puts guys like Phil Knight, owner of Nike, up on a hill (just a ways above my older rich bros house) in a house/compound only a little smaller than Bill Gates' Lk. Wash. pad. The swoosh dude buys a new Turbo Porche every other year to augment his BMW's and Mercedes' (and pulls back his U. of O. philanthropy when the student union votes to endorse an advocacy group that exposes Nike's 3rd world slave labor ways- excuse the vent). Nike and Sony have long since dropped out of the best quality among their competitors, but continue to thrive at the top of the corporate world's profitablity by process of past rep and current huge ad budgets. Ugly! Seems GLoomis is headed that way? Ironic too, because they will not catch you one more fish than the excellant Lami's that cost so much less. I guess Andre Aggasi is right about too many people when he says "image is everything". That's what I tried to expose before. - Steve

[This message has been edited by Reel Truth (edited 07-08-2000).]

#92208 - 07/08/00 05:14 PM Re: Loomis poles?
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
RT hit it right on the money when it comes to big business. That's corporate America for you. On the other hand, maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I have had no problems with exchanging my broken G Loomis rods. Their current policy is you send them your broken rod plus $45 and they send you a new rod no questions asked. I broke the tip on my 1024 and I wanted to upgrade to a 1025 which cost $5 more. No problem at all. I had the 1025 at my front door in a little over a week.

As far as having to baby G Loomis rods...give me a break! I once unintentionally foul hooked a mid thirties Chinook in the side using my 8-12# rated 1024 and successfully landed and released it. I have also landed Chinook over 40#'s on my 1024. I've pushed all of my rods to the limit and they've held up every time.

I've read post after post on this board from experienced fisherman and rod builders and the majority of them say the quality of G Loomis is second to none.

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#92209 - 07/08/00 09:21 PM Re: Loomis poles?
Aerofly Offline
Juvenille at Sea

OK everybody heres the scoop that I have heard from several dealers, and a email from a loomis rep. First I did not mean tape I just didnt know the proper technique. My previous loomis 1025 was not "doubled tapered" like this one, check it out at some other loomis dealers, example: salmonbay and outdoor. Also I love Gloomis and their product, I have no complaints and will still be my only pole of choice. But what the dealer had told me was that since shimano has a "partnership" they are more focused on the Bass poles and the Salmon/ steelhead rods are getting the second hand to priority of manufacturing. I am not sure how reliable this is. Also their is nothing wrong with the fuji guides and seats it was just a suprise to see the fuji logo rather then the gloomis logo, then again who made the reel seats befor? All I know is that this post was just to see if their was a change, it suprised me, but I was not disappointed. Far as what the gloomis rep who had emailed me back said was the quality of the rod is same and the Gloomis will back the pole 100% in so many words. I cant bad mouth shimano either because they make great reels and I have never had problems with it. Both companies produce top notch gear and I will stick with them till they prove me wrong. But the extra guide on my bottom half of the pole was a shocker. I was looking at the new ones and the old ones and the guides are set a little different, least the ones I looked at. any way I enjoy both products and they will continue to get my bussiness, don't bag them just because of a mishap or a change unless it is for the worse. Thank you all for the input and good luck

[This message has been edited by Aerofly (edited 07-08-2000).]

#92210 - 07/08/00 10:18 PM Re: Loomis poles?
Bowpro Offline
Egg

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Same problems out here in Ontario with Loomis stuff. After spending $400 on a custom 13" im6 float rod I was not amused when I was billed $200 for a replacement after busting the tip. You'd have thought they would replace the section at cost after you had outlayed so much dough for your rod. Not these guys, and to add insult to injury they come over with this really snotty "attitude". So I switched to a Sage 13.5 footer...Much nicer handling rod and guess what I did... Yup, bust the tip when line got wrapped around it when setting hook on a chinook. What happened? $30 shipping charge, rod fixed as new, no questions asked, no attitude...Some stores in Ontario refuse to work with Loomis blanks for the exact same reasons as mentioned above. So it is definately worth forking out the extra bucks for the Sage, if not get a cheaper rod so it is not so tough if you break it...

[This message has been edited by Bowpro (edited 07-08-2000).]

#92211 - 07/09/00 02:46 PM Re: Loomis poles?
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
G.Loomis has never had a snotty attitude to me they have always been very helpfull.I guess its who you talk to.As far as lami being as good as Loomis. I dont believe they are but thats my opinion.And they sure dont have the wide variety of different Wts and lengths. TM

#92212 - 07/10/00 12:50 AM Re: Loomis poles?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
First off, Timberman, Loomis did sell out majority interest in his company. I work with his son in law and he's pretty much into a working retirement from what I've been told. I was hinting at my coworker to set me up with some rods and he said for most part it isn't his company anymore. He's hired out to do promotional appearances, but that's about it. I do agree they're good rods, I own a couple. But, I find nothing wrong with Lamiglas's Pro Graphites. I've landed some big Kings on "Steelhead" rods and handled them tremendously well. It's not the rod that makes the fisherman, it's the fisherman (or woman) themselves that do. It's just you have a little more of an edge with a loomis, but not alot if you truly know what you're doing. I use my Kunnans (which I hear gripe after gripe about) and my Lami's and catch as much if not more fish then alot out there (and I have the pictures on wall to prove it). I keep my loomis's to say I have them, but don't dwell on using them exclusively. Oh well, it's a "chevy vs ford" thing anyways. And before anyone says a word about "if you used a loomis more you'd catch more fish" the best fisherman I knew never used anything except his custom made fenwick glass rod. It was about a nine foot old cream colored blank tied up as a baitcaster. It was big, cumbersome, but boy could he hit fish and limit no problem. I remember right before he died a couple years ago he was outfishing everyone on the bank of the chehalis (most of these guys were using high end loomis's and lami's). I cried when he died and when they gave his rod to his son (who basically threw it in his truck and did god knows what to it). So, give me experience over the rod anyways (YES, I know this veared from the subject, but just putting my .02 in)

------------------
you haven't lived til you've rowed a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

[This message has been edited by Steelheader69 (edited 07-09-2000).]

Northwest River Fisherman

#92213 - 07/10/00 03:00 AM Re: Loomis poles?
TroutBoy Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Rainier, Oregon
I just got my SJR700 GL3, it's a little 5'10" trout rod, it was supposed to have their "no wobble" reel-seat, but it came with the Fuji barrel style seat. I thought it was odd, but the 1141's I have seen lately have had Fuji seats instead.

#92214 - 07/10/00 11:03 AM Re: Loomis poles?
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Haven't had any problems with the Loomis warranty, but have heard of a few. I do know that they had a load of problems with the wooden handles they use to use. I know several anglers that had them warp, crack, or swell and I am not surprised to see them gone.

I like the new through the blank trigger handles; it increases sensitivity, if this is even possible.

#92215 - 07/10/00 07:35 PM Re: Loomis poles?
steelyhorn hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: eastside
Well here goes my .02. I have to agree with R.T. about big business. They have turned into a huge business in the 90's. As far as quality goes they are nice but the competition has gained huge ground on them. As far as fish catching abilities go I would say they are highly over-rated. I own several loomis rods and several lami's. I would throw my whole fleet of lami's away if if I thought they were costing me fish because I choose to use one of them.. If you have any experience at all you will catch just as many fish with a good lamiglas as you will any model loomis!! If fishing with your new IMX/GL3 gives you the personal confidence that you are all of the sudden a better fisherman than you are ahead of the game!!! Because confidence in what you're using plays a huge part in your ability to catch a fish.. I for one will not purchase anymore loomis rods. I feel that when they went to the plastic reel seat they did so to save money..Sure they might have had a few problems with the rosewood reel seats but I thought they portrayed a "touch of class". They were set apart from the so called lower class, now they are an equal in appearance and a VERY close equal to acouple of manufacutars in quality!! I will continue to use my various loomis rods but I am never going to give up my lami's... Last I would like to add that lamiglas has given me excellent service in their warrenty dept. Personnally I haven't had any problems with loomis but I seen some of my friends struggle with getting rods replaced.. Maybe it just all depends on who you talk too.?!? For the money I paid for my loomis rods I certainly do not expect any hassles when I accidentally snap one in two..

#92216 - 07/10/00 07:48 PM Re: Loomis poles?
Aerofly Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thank you jen for the fwd of email from aron at gloomis, I was told the same thing today when I called, I have no problems at all with Gloomis and it was great to here from them to confirm whats really going on. My service at Gloomis has been excellent to date and will continue to buy their rods and refer friends to them. good luck to all, any one with problems might want to contact them and discuss it in a friendly manner and things will get resolved, good eople and great rods.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 838 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |