Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#930949 - 05/29/15 09:08 AM More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/editors-blog/i...steelie-smolts/

WFC have moved on from hassling WA to hassling the feds. It sounds like the plan would have been provisionally approved were it not for all the public comments against it. And guess who rallied the most for comments against? The WFC. This isn't about the issue anymore, it's about who speaks the loudest.

Steelheading as we knew it, may be over. It hasn't been great, but I sure enjoyed going out on the weekends and watching my float bob down a run (and occasionally go under).

#930974 - 05/29/15 12:46 PM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
This sucks and one of the bigger and lesser discussed consequences is that the divide between the rich and poor is greater. It might seem like a strange observation but think about it, only those that can afford to travel to further locations will be able to fish for steelhead anymore. For a guy scraping by and barely making ends meet with his family, a trip to Forks for steelhead is a luxury.

A lot of press is given to the divide between rich and poor but it is a hundred small instances like this that create the divide.

There is also the crowding issue that will inevitably result. There will come a time in the not too distant future that some kind of limits (on number of people fishing) will be imposed on the Forks rivers. This will make it even harder for the average joe, if he can even get to Forks in the first place.

#930977 - 05/29/15 12:52 PM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Just another failure allowed by the State of Washington.

Anymore it is the norm.

#930988 - 05/29/15 01:36 PM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Time to russle up some little kids and take 'em "trout" fishin'

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#930998 - 05/29/15 02:02 PM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: Chasin' Baitman
http://nwsportsmanmag.com/editors-blog/i...steelie-smolts/

Steelheading as we knew it, may be over. It hasn't been great, but I sure enjoyed going out on the weekends and watching my float bob down a run (and occasionally go under).

Those of us that live in "other areas" of the State, also wish the metro areas, (I'5ers as locals called them), could get their act together. I hate to see the boat launches full of more and more tow rigs and boat trailers, trying to find fishing water, because of the fish problems from Tacoma to Bellingham.

Wish there was a easy answer.......I think not !!!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#931028 - 05/30/15 11:21 AM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: TedR]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: TedR
This sucks and one of the bigger and lesser discussed consequences is that the divide between the rich and poor is greater. It might seem like a strange observation but think about it, only those that can afford to travel to further locations will be able to fish for steelhead anymore. For a guy scraping by and barely making ends meet with his family, a trip to Forks for steelhead is a luxury.

A lot of press is given to the divide between rich and poor but it is a hundred small instances like this that create the divide.

There is also the crowding issue that will inevitably result. There will come a time in the not too distant future that some kind of limits (on number of people fishing) will be imposed on the Forks rivers. This will make it even harder for the average joe, if he can even get to Forks in the first place.

I feel you on this. I see tons of posts by guys who are wild steelhead advocates that say they would gladly give up fishing this river or that fishery for steelhead but than they add something like, "as long as I get my 10 days up north every year."

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#931048 - 05/30/15 07:56 PM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Sounds like it's time to sell the drift boat.....

#931050 - 05/30/15 08:53 PM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
They will do a full EIS and find that the way hatchery practices have been carried out; planting only if collection facility is available, lowering # of smolts planted, early chambers return time and lack of reproduction success from chambers stock has very little effect on native populations. The anti hatchery guys will grab their torches and storm the next village... On and on it will go, finger pointing, denial. I got into steelheading just in time to see the empire fall. Got a lot of good steelhead rivers under the belt, but losing the "home" waters will suck..

#931066 - 05/31/15 07:54 AM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Bantam]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
Originally Posted By: Bantam

I saw this coming Luis which is part of the reason I got rid of mine early. WFC are a bunch of elitist C.U.N.Tuesday's who can get Fvcked!!!

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#931078 - 05/31/15 10:34 AM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Lol

Hard to believe those most furvently opposed to WFC are facing such a tough battle when they are such procedural-minded wordsmiths.

#931087 - 05/31/15 01:34 PM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
I consider myself a wild fish advocate, but without fishing, rivers will just be a pretty 5 second view from a highway bridge. Fishermen are the caretakers of the rivers and their fish. Kill fishing, kill the fish, wild or not.

#931095 - 05/31/15 05:18 PM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: steeliedrew]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Originally Posted By: steeliedrew
Originally Posted By: Bantam

I saw this coming Luis which is part of the reason I got rid of mine early. WFC are a bunch of elitist C.U.N.Tuesday's who can get Fvcked!!!

You mean you sold it becuse you never used it... and saw what coming? The future of changing diapers at home is a lot easier than in the bow of that drifter??? Ill always have a boat Drew... just depends where the steel takes me.

#931121 - 06/01/15 08:39 AM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
No planted Steel in the Nisq. for how many years now? How is that working out for the wilds? Piss poor.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#931125 - 06/01/15 09:08 AM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
nisqually was all native, at least in the winter. i do recall some ramblings by bill herzog about hatchery summer runs in the mashel in bygone days, though.

#931126 - 06/01/15 10:23 AM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

"No planted Steel in the Nisq. for how many years now? How is that working out for the wilds? Piss poor."

Bingo!!!

Hatchery fish ain't the problem but man has to have something to blame except himself for the worlds failures.

#931127 - 06/01/15 10:24 AM Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Ask Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |