THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#937573 - 08/25/15 11:59 AM Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!!
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

Well, another drive in area has been shut off to fishermen and swimmers.

The area below "twin bridges", on the lower Wynoochee is now gated off to all vehicle traffic. The area was known as the Elks Picnic area. The Elks picnic area was always closed, gated, but another road that went down to the river was open......picture shows the new gate blocking that road.

The gravel bar, below the bridges was a open road to people with 4 wheel drives.....while Sheriff or WDFW Enforcement, could have controlled the problem, they choose not to.

Garbage and driving has been a on going problem for years but "the long hot, no rain this summer has made problem worse.

You will be able to "walk in" and fish or swim but gone are the days when the "old timers" could drive in and Plunk, while sitting in their trucks.

Oh, parking is very limited..........

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#937574 - 08/25/15 12:43 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Or it could be temporarily closed to solve an enforcement issue related to super low water conditions and early arriving salmon?
Did you call anyone yet to get an idea of why?

#937578 - 08/25/15 01:30 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
scrimps Offline
Parr

Loc: puget sound
maybe this should be a lesson that if you litter and aren't respectful of the land that it CAN and WILL be taken away.

I'm not familiar with how bad the littering was but obviously traffic was bad enough to warrant the cost of a gate and closing it off.

everyone needs to pick up after yourself and the careless anglers so we don't get a bad name and keep loosing access!

#937580 - 08/25/15 02:29 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: scrimps]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
The place is less than a thousand feet from Region 6 offices. It is as the crow flies about a mile plus from the County Courthouse & Sheriffs office. That the issue exist is primarily from being ignored by the agency AND Sheriff. Simple random drive in by either would have put and end to most of it. Kid don't party where they figure they will get busted. It came about because it was ignored by both.

#937584 - 08/25/15 02:43 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: On The Swing]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: On The Swing
Or it could be temporarily closed to solve an enforcement issue related to super low water conditions and early arriving salmon?
Did you call anyone yet to get an idea of why?

Water flow, while low this year....is really no different than many years....flow coming out of dam is about 180 cfs. The pool behind the dam is getting low.....less water coming is, than is going out.

I know there was a meeting, earlier this summer, Tacoma City Light and WDFW. I believe TCL wanted to be able to drop the flow to 120 cfs but its not been that low............yet.

#937585 - 08/25/15 02:47 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Welcome to Europe.

#937586 - 08/25/15 03:34 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Ah nope flows are low but normal low for dry years. Yes I called and the county is pointing at a WDF&W staffer in habitat ( writes HPA's ) who requested it.

Edited by Rivrguy (08/25/15 03:35 PM)

#937595 - 08/25/15 04:19 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: scrimps]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
Originally Posted By: scrimps
maybe this should be a lesson that if you litter and aren't respectful of the land that it CAN and WILL be taken away.

I'm not familiar with how bad the littering was but obviously traffic was bad enough to warrant the cost of a gate and closing it off.

everyone needs to pick up after yourself and the careless anglers so we don't get a bad name and keep loosing access!
littering, access trashing dirtbags will never change, they will always find somewhere else to go.

very few places one can drive down to a river and fish any more, LEO just doesn't want to enforce the rules.

#937596 - 08/25/15 04:19 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Entrance looks like it is owned by the State. Property where folks park is owned by Port AND State.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#937605 - 08/25/15 05:20 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
The signage clearly states "at the request of WDFW." Exactly what is the Regional policy on maintaining/increasing access (versus requesting that it be closed off)????

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#937618 - 08/26/15 08:18 AM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: Rivrguy]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
The place is less than a thousand feet from Region 6 offices. It is as the crow flies about a mile plus from the County Courthouse & Sheriffs office. That the issue exist is primarily from being ignored by the agency AND Sheriff. Simple random drive in by either would have put and end to most of it. Kid don't party where they figure they will get busted. It came about because it was ignored by both.

This. Pretty pathetic.

#937622 - 08/26/15 12:08 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Working on it to get a straight answer. Kind of reminded me of this.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum...s.html#Post6483

#937625 - 08/26/15 03:35 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Supposed to be in the process of being worked out.

#937640 - 08/27/15 09:06 AM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Thursday....8/27/15

8:00 a.m.

Gate still closed BUT sign has been covered. When I was there, no parked vehicles, so no walk in people.

#937642 - 08/27/15 09:18 AM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Apparently some miscommunication between the County and WDFW and a meeting that was supposed to take place yesterday. WDFW stating that they neither requested nor support the closure of that area. I'll take the sign being covered as a positive sign. Hopefully there will be an update later one today.

#937644 - 08/27/15 09:43 AM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Less fish.
More people.
Same rivers.

The eventual outcome seems obvious to me.

#937653 - 08/27/15 10:19 AM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

More to come but it was a miscommunication, sorta. It appears the gate issue rumbled up due to the County looking for a quick fix for the problems surrounding the road. Garbage dumping on adjoining property being #1. Also the County is going assume ownership of the nearby Elks Park so a lot going in the area. # 2 is 4 wheeling around the gravel bar and even across the river. # 3 was outlined in prior post but BOTH WDF&W Enforcement & the Sheriffs Dept BOTH ignored the problem which is why things got out of hand. #4 is a fishers issue as some folks have been driving down on private property WITHOUT permission to low hole others. So apparently a staffer commented on the issue negatively and the County got the bit in their teeth and out the door.

A lot of conversation going on with many folks so possibly we might find a solution. Might is the key word.

Edited by Rivrguy (08/27/15 10:21 AM)

#937658 - 08/27/15 10:46 AM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Rivrguy continues to represent many doing nothing.

Including myself.

Thank you.

#937662 - 08/27/15 11:01 AM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

The county owns some property on the downstream north side of the bridge, but not any of the subject properties being gated. Unless there is a lease or some other written agreement, I don't see where they have any standing on the issue. Especially when it comes to gating off the properties.

#937738 - 08/28/15 01:41 PM Re: Wynoochee River---Another Gated Off Access!!!! [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Went to the "map department" on 2nd floor of the County.

Here's what I found out:

Elk's picnic area is 100 % County owned, also County owns the road to the East of the picnic area.

The road to the East of the picnic area, is the road that has the New Gate. WDFW has nothing to do with this whole thing.

The road, that is now gated, has been a problem area. People used to pull small travel trailers in, and stay most of the summer, if not a trailer, then tents were also used.

The river has changed the gravel bar, used to be room for 4 - 6 trucks, that guys used while they were winter run steelhead fishing. Lower part of the road can be a 4 wheel drive show in the winter time.

There is another road that goes to the East, about 100 yards past the new gate. This road had a gate on it at one time but has not been locked for many years......10 years ago very few people used this road BUT that has changed......now many people drive down and fish the lower end of the Wynoochee River. I believe this land owner would like the new gate left...cars, trucks, and garbage is a problem.

That's what I know......the story continues.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |