THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 34 of 39 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 38 39 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#958603 - 06/08/16 09:55 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: 5 * General Evo]
autopilot70 Offline
Parr

Sure wish the people that work for us would show a little more sense of urgency and get the rivers opened up before they have to start shutting them down for the summer due to low/warm water. I'm sure all they really care about is getting the permit issued by July 16 so the one week puget sound king season can happen.

#958614 - 06/09/16 06:39 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: autopilot70]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: autopilot70
Sure wish the people that work for us would show a little more sense of urgency and get the rivers opened up before they have to start shutting them down for the summer due to low/warm water. I'm sure all they really care about is getting the permit issued by July 16 so the one week puget sound king season can happen.

I'm pretty sure we'll have enough water to last us the next few weeks.

Agreed it shouldn't take this long, but it's the Government, so you are just going to have to hurry up and wait with the rest of us peasants.

#958627 - 06/09/16 08:51 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: autopilot70]
Ward Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: autopilot70

Bureaucrats do as little as possible to survive until they get a lifetime pension for doing absolutely nothing.

#958684 - 06/10/16 12:00 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Smalma]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Originally Posted By: Smalma

GLU -
Do you know what they boundaries are for the tribal Bubble fishery?

Local residents are telling me that they are fishing out to Priest Point (outside of the bubble area for the recreational fishers.

The Tulalip area for Chinook is generally only (a) inside of the bay and (b) directly in front of the bay in "the bubble". Inside it is a set net show, outside it is primarily drift net, beach sein, and round haul (I believe).

There should be NO fishing as far East as Priest Pt. Any fishers outside of the bubble would be in violation.

If anyone sees fishers outside of the bubble I encourage them to call Tribal dispatch at 360-716-4608 and report what they see.
I want to be a fisherman.

#958808 - 06/12/16 01:24 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I live along the South Sound. I volunteered to feed Chinook for Percival Cove after my military days. This was my "therapy."

These were early returning Green River stock?

Why no love for the veterans?

#959067 - 06/15/16 07:55 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Backtrollin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Duvall, WA
I received this update from NOAA yesterday:

You inquired about the status of the ESA consultation on the 2016 Puget Sound salmon fisheries this morning. My colleague passed your question on to me as I am the lead staff on the project. We received the harvest plan on June 3 and anticipate completing the consultation by the end of June.

I realize everyone is frustrated and want to assure you this is a high priority. Our leadership has asked folks to clear their desks for this project. However, it is a pretty complicated analysis as we need to evaluate the effects of the fisheries on 6 listed species including Southern Resident killer whales which amounts to about 200 pages of work. This is probably cold comfort, but wanted to explain why it takes a bit of time.

Please feel free to give me a call if you have any additional questions,
Susan

--
Susan Bishop
Puget Sound/Washington Coastal Harvest Management Team Leader
NOAA Fisheries Service - Salmon Management Division
206-526-4587
susan.bishop@noaa.gov

#959068 - 06/15/16 08:19 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The puzzling thing about this time frame is that NOF ended about April 15, and typically approved fisheries plans begin May 15 when the state and treaty tribes have reached their usual agreements. The same 6 species and killer whale concerns existed last year, and the year before, etc.

#959069 - 06/15/16 08:23 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Salmo g.]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
The puzzling thing about this time frame is that NOF ended about April 15, and typically approved fisheries plans begin May 15 when the state and treaty tribes have reached their usual agreements. The same 6 species and killer whale concerns existed last year, and the year before, etc.

That is exactly my reaction. That's a fine explanation by Susan, but this happens every year. This year was an exception since the State and the Tribe took longer than normal to reach an agreement on fishing. So why is it more complicated this year?

#959072 - 06/15/16 09:17 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: cohoangler]
forkssteel1 Offline
Alevin

More tribal asses to kiss

#959074 - 06/15/16 09:21 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

It's probably taking longer than usual because they are actually reviewing the submitted agreement this time around. Most years, all it needs is a rubber stamp, which even a giant, bureaucratic agency can manage within 30 days.

#959075 - 06/15/16 09:27 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Backtrollin]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
This entire situation is ridiculous in so many ways.

We have the judicial branch (interpreting) treaties legislation etc. to a point of giving them a new and different meaning, in effect legislating from the bench.

We have agencies morphing into giant revenue consuming omnipotent beings where their main objective seems to be to gather power and grow.

We have an alphabet soup of agencies which have carved out their personal areas over which they can claim control and that they protect with all of their resources because it means their very existence to do so.

And we, the humble taxpayers have little influence over the matter because it is our part to pick up the tab and deal with the consequences, but don't fret it is all for are own good. beathead

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#959086 - 06/15/16 02:54 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: cohoangler]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: cohoangler
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

That is exactly my reaction. That's a fine explanation by Susan, but this happens every year. This year was an exception since the State and the Tribe took longer than normal to reach an agreement on fishing. So why is it more complicated this year?

+3 Are we just settling scores?

#959090 - 06/15/16 03:10 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
NOAA warned the parties that not agreeing would cause problems. Just showing who's boss.

#959095 - 06/15/16 04:59 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Hard to believe all those employed at the state and federal level technically work for us, AND the fish and wildlife in this state belongs to US.

They act as if they're doing us a favor by even looking at the permits and letting us have their fish.

Our founding fathers knew how big government would become a self serving clusterfuck.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#959099 - 06/15/16 05:27 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Carcassman]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
NOAA ... Just showing who's boss.

I just want to tell you right now. I am in favor of more terminal harvest.

]

#959130 - 06/16/16 09:48 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Carcassman]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
NOAA warned the parties that not agreeing would cause problems. Just showing who's boss.

But they have reached an agreement......

As I understand it, the State and the Tribes agree on how to manage the fisheries in Puget Sound for this year, which is exactly what NMFS asked them to do. Granted, it took them longer than it normally does, but they still reached an agreement. That's what's puzzling about the timeframe for issuing ESA clearance. Seems like it should be fairly straightforward. That is, it should be similar to what they've done in the recent past.

#959131 - 06/16/16 10:06 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
They missed the deadline. There are consequences for that. Maybe next year the sides will negotiate in better faith.

#959134 - 06/16/16 10:59 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Protographer Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Monroe, WA
Do you suggest that the state did not negotiate in good faith? The tribes fishing efforts don't seem to have been hindered by any of this. They continue to fish under their individual permit.

#959139 - 06/16/16 11:53 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Carcassman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

They missed the deadline. There are consequences for that. Maybe next year the sides will negotiate in better faith.

While I believe there may be some sarcasm in that statement, I think it's right on. Our state blew up the schedule; not NOAA. We don't have to like it, but as the ones responsible for the delay, the costs fall to us. That's the way the world works. To argue otherwise, while it may be more fun and somewhat satisfying, is unreasonable.

The thing that troubles me about the way this is shaking out is that the existing, obviously broken process is remaining intact. In the end, all we will have to show for our efforts to blow up the out-dated status quo will be a shortened, limited season. Next time the forecasts don't leave enough ESA impacts to keep everyone fishing as usual (most likely next year), our options will be A, cave to unfair tribal demands and give up fisheries entirely or B, repeat the cluster**** we enjoyed so much this year, then get delayed starts to limited fisheries.

We should have insisted on changing the rules of the game or abolishing co-management in Puget Sound altogether. Short of that, why should we expect anything to change for the better?

#959149 - 06/16/16 01:41 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02

While I believe there may be some sarcasm in that statement, I think it's right on. Our state blew up the schedule; not NOAA. We don't have to like it, but as the ones responsible for the delay, the costs fall to us. That's the way the world works. To argue otherwise, while it may be more fun and somewhat satisfying, is unreasonable.

The thing that troubles me about the way this is shaking out is that the existing, obviously broken process is remaining intact. In the end, all we will have to show for our efforts to blow up the out-dated status quo will be a shortened, limited season. Next time the forecasts don't leave enough ESA impacts to keep everyone fishing as usual (most likely next year), our options will be A, cave to unfair tribal demands and give up fisheries entirely or B, repeat the cluster**** we enjoyed so much this year, then get delayed starts to limited fisheries.

We should have insisted on changing the rules of the game or abolishing co-management in Puget Sound altogether. Short of that, why should we expect anything to change for the better?

I would suggest that not reaching an agreement was the direct result of:

1. The tribes not submitting their proposals in a timely manner so as to allow the State to consider it prior to entering negotiations and

2. Not rolling over to unreasonable demands by the tribes (hard to recover lost ground) and

3. At least one of the tribes apparently throwing an issue I do not consider within the scope of NOF into the mix (Skokomish).

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Page 34 of 39 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 38 39 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Carcassman), 1088 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |